Andres Iniesta

raskolnikov

I have no problems with people picking Zidane over Iniesta or the other way around but he is definitely up there as an atg midfielder, Iniesta is up there woth Platini, Zico, Diego, Xavi Zidane, Nedved, Laudrup.If only he had Özil/Mata type stats than everyone would rate him higher cause as a footbller he is the best player in the world with Messi.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I don't think there was any midfield trio that complemented each other as beautifully and perfectly as Xavi,Busi and Iniesta. All three of them are right there in the list of the top midfielders to ever play the game

FiReFTW

I have no problems with people picking Zidane over Iniesta or the other way around but he is definitely up there as an atg midfielder, Iniesta is up there woth Platini, Zico, Diego, Xavi Zidane, Nedved, Laudrup.If only he had Özil/Mata type stats than everyone would rate him higher cause as a footbller he is the best player in the world with Messi.

No hes not, stop making a fool of yourself. Tell someone that you think Iniesta is as good as Maradona and they will laugh at your face, and rightfully so.. there is almost nothing Iniesta is better at.

raskolnikov

No hes not, stop making a fool of yourself. Tell someone that you think Iniesta is as good as Maradona and they will laugh at your face, and rightfully so.. there is almost nothing Iniesta is better at.

Well not Maradona perse of course but he is no less than Laudrup, Nedved, Xavi or Zidane imo.

Ursegor

World Champion
He's not up there with Xavi either and it's not even close IMO although he might very well go down like that because he's more silky on the ball and people mention them in the same sentence anyway all the time. But Xavi's dominance was different class from 08-12. I don't usually like to make an argument based on stats alone but you'll get the drift. If you look at Xavi's stats in 09/10 he was averaging 1.8 accurate throughballs per game in the Champions League. No one last season or this season comes even close (the highest number is 1 by Messi). Point is: He was incredibly penetrative for a central midfielder. He holds the record in La Liga assists in a single season if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure at one point he had 30+ assists in a season (he has registered assists in 4 European Cup finals and 4 assists in a single game in the Bernabeu, which is incredible if you think about it). He controlled games like an all time great regista but also created like an all time great trequartista. Main reason why Barca is not the untouchable machine from a few years ago anymore is because Xavi has declined. Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi etc. are still all the same if not better, more experienced, most in their primes. But Xavi isn't. He still plays well enough but the penetration, throughballs and assists are gone.

On the other hand Iniesta has time on his side to change that. He's only 29. But so far he isn't up there with Xavi. Doesn't have prime Xavi's game control nor his productivity nor his consistency. I think Iniesta could have become much more but his genuine intimidated character prevented him from starving for any individual glory. Xavi is different. Even at 34 he takes freekicks away from Messi like a boss. :lol: Did Iniesta ever attempt a freekick in his life?

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
He's not up there with Xavi either and it's not even close IMO although he might very well go down like that because he's more silky on the ball and people mention them in the same sentence anyway all the time. But Xavi's dominance was different class from 08-12. I don't usually like to make an argument based on stats alone but you'll get the drift. If you look at Xavi's stats in 09/10 he was averaging 1.8 accurate throughballs per game in the Champions League. No one last season or this season comes even close (the highest number is 1 by Messi). Point is: He was incredibly penetrative for a central midfielder. He holds the record in La Liga assists in a single season if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure at one point he had 30+ assists in a season (he has registered assists in 4 European Cup finals and 4 assists in a single game in the Bernabeu, which is incredible if you think about it). He controlled games like an all time great regista but also created like an all time great trequartista. Main reason why Barca is not the untouchable machine from a few years ago anymore is because Xavi has declined. Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi etc. are still all the same if not better, more experienced, most in their primes. But Xavi isn't. He still plays well enough but the penetration, throughballs and assists are gone.

On the other hand Iniesta has time on his side to change that. He's only 29. But so far he isn't up there with Xavi. Doesn't have prime Xavi's game control nor his productivity nor his consistency. I think Iniesta could have become much more but his genuine intimidated character prevented him from starving for any individual glory. Xavi is different. Even at 34 he takes freekicks away from Messi like a boss. :lol: Did Iniesta ever attempt a freekick in his life?

187420_1_f.jpg

FiReFTW

Amazing analysis.

khorne

First of all in terms of not being recognized by future generations, i'm far more worried about xavi tbh because the barca success will be linked to "messi/pep" and the spanish success will be linked to "tici taca/iniesta" because of the goal

ursegor, i think it's a legitimate approach to base a players overall worth on statistics, and if we do, your post is spot on. In my opinion though, if we deal with questions like who is the greater player, or who will be remembered in the future, it depends much more on "soft" impressions, the playing style, heroic games, epic moments, personal charisma, etc. gerd müller has inhuman career statistics, he was basically goal scoring incarnate, among them a world cup decider. But ask a random guy on the street who's the best german player ever, and he'll say beckenbauer, for the above reasons. For me, a player is considered an all time great if he brought something unique to the game which set the benchmark for current and future generations. And that's my reasons for putting iniesta up there with the likes of the all time legends, because of his ball manipulation and the beauty of his playing style. in that regard, he has no equal, not messi, not ronaldo, not maradona or pele for that matter. doesn't make him the better overall player. but I'd say, if a player embodies the art of football playing and the benchmark of HOW you can play, it's iniesta, and that what he's going to be remembered for. that, and the insane amount of trophies and awards :)

Dinho

So where do you guys rate Zidane then?

Yes, we all know how good Iniesta and Xavi have been since 2008. Two all time greats.

Don't forget what Zidane was doing in one of the greatest Italian teams off all time in the late 90's, in a league unrivaled by any since it's demise. And his record for France speaks for itself.

Home of Barca Fans