André Gomes

Adversus

Messi has skewed everyone's opinion.
And Pep's era has done the same.

As if an average Barca's fan forgot our "mortal teams" from the past, pre 2005/2006' (Rijkaard) and Pep.

People are shitting on some of our current players and on our coach.
While (imo) in the next 10-20 years, it is way more likely that our players, displays and results will be the same or actually weaker than in 2018'.

Pep's days will repeat never again.
From time to time (once in 20 years) we will probably look like Rijkaard's Barca.

In majority of other years, we will look like Gaspart's, Tata's and EV's Barca.

Ok, we can play more beautiful than today, but still, a lot of guys here will have a time hard adjusting to "a mortal era" after Messi and Busi, the last guys from Pep's era.
We'll never have players like then and if our new leaders will be on the level of Dembele and similar, this forum will be so fun to read.
People won't know what is happening and how is this possible.

100% agree. You are still winning leagues and cups. Look at Utd. They have had half a decade or so in the wilderness once the likes of Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney etc either left them or faded.

And they have spent an absolute fortune. Right now Messi and Barca's reputation is carrying Barca but when both or either go it could be a cluster fuck like it was for Man Utd, the first season after Ferguson and believe me that wasn't just down to Moyes.

It's amazing what Pep is doing at Man City. I know in the champions league, which has always been his Achilles heel they aren't dominating in the same way but in the premiership they are in a league of their own.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Reading BBZ posts is like observing Stalin's pictures. You are pretty certain something got added that isn't true or key points got left out.

Last edited:

Porque

I wouldn't say that it is only because of our "slow" game.
Over the last 20-30 years there have been numerous similar examples of players who were very good or awesome in smaller teams (where they were a brain of a team), but when they come to Barca, they suck.
Alexis is quite a good player for NT and Arsenal.
At Barca, at least for me, he was truly horrible.

This is not about EV, we are just a too big club for majority of players.
Even in the future, there will be tons of players who will look good at Barca, only to come here and play mediocre and later they will be good again in some other, smaller team.

For example, Rafinha, Denis, Paco, Semedo, Malcom, they are all players who would look very, very good in teams like Roma, Milan, Everton, Lyon , Monaco and similar.

I hear what your saying. To be honest I do not think Gomes is at the level nor the style to give what we want in midfield. To be fair with him, he was bought at a time where Luis Enrique was manager and we were looking for a midfielder for his direct style. It didn't work because of multiple factors unfortunately.

For what it is worth, Rabiot is a better profile match and will likely perform better here than Gomes. If we are looking for someone to replace Rakitic duties in this 11 then it is him. By this I mean tactical limited Rakitic as when off his leash Rakitic has alot of attacking talent that Rabiot doesn't possess.

Adversus

I hear what your saying. To be honest I do not think Gomes is at the level nor the style to give what we want in midfield. To be fair with him, he was bought at a time where Luis Enrique was manager and we were looking for a midfielder for his direct style. It didn't work because of multiple factors unfortunately.

For what it is worth, Rabiot is a better profile match and will likely perform better here than Gomes. If we are looking for someone to replace Rakitic duties in this 11 then it is him. By this I mean tactical limited Rakitic as when off his leash Rakitic has alot of attacking talent that Rabiot doesn't possess.
I don't think anyone is claiming Gomes is suitable for Barca but he was never a bad player or deserved the treatment he received from the fans.

God Serena

I don't think anyone is claiming Gomes is suitable for Barca but he was never a bad player or deserved the treatment he received from the fans.

He was bad damn near every time he played. Probably wasn't his fault he got so many fucking minutes, but yeah, he was pretty bad.

The fact that he lasted as long as he did is a testament to the piss poor management the club has been under the past few years.

PhilS

He was a terrible player for Barca. He must have looked quite good during training, since two managers is a row gave him quite a bit of playing time. On the field, he just did not cut it. He was psyched out as bad as any player I have seen who has tried to intergrate into the team since 2010. Douglas was bad on the field, but there was never any reason pre-Barca to expect him to be able to play at Barca level. Arda performed for Barca much, much worse than he performed for Atletico or Turkey. Neither of this other notable Barca failures got anywhere near the playing time Gomes got.

Glad to see he was not psyched out for life, he seems to be performing up to his ability now for Everton.

Cule4life

The Culest
Everything will will revert back to the old times? AC Milan fans wish you are right [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] :lol:

Home of Barca Fans