André Gomes

Sensei

Yeah because some random person saying it on a Portuguese forum so it must be true. Recently we've had Keita and Yaya Toure who later got replaced by a long and slow Busquets. I still have hope in Gomes. It takes time to relearn football at Barcelona. Ask Mascherano or any of the foreigners coming to Barca.

behindbrowneyes

Yeah because some random person saying it on a Portuguese forum so it must be true. Recently we've had Keita and Yaya Toure who later got replaced by a long and slow Busquets. I still have hope in Gomes. It takes time to relearn football at Barcelona. Ask Mascherano or any of the foreigners coming to Barca.

I agree.

There are so many players in our squad who underperform atm, especially in midfield. The question comes up if this is the players fault or if this is a coaching problem. The only one who delivers on a regular basis (in midfield) is Don Andres and this is because of his extraordinary class. By contrast, look at the performances of our established players like Rakitic and Busquets. Hard to expect Gomes or Denis to perform well when even these 2 struggle. Of course, with Gomes' price tag you can expect much more but all I want to say is that it is hard for any player to look good in our midfield atm.

jamrock

You do understand that he was played in a position he is not used to, right? And stop making it sound as if his passing is poor because he has the best passing percentage out of our all midfielders in CL. How do you explain that according to you he missplaces so many easy passes yet his passing success ratio is at about 97% against the top teams in CL?

If anything people could say he maybe plays it safe too often, hence his high successful passes stats, but then again most of the creative roles in the team are down to MSN and Iniesta. So maybe it's not too bad he keeps the ball moving and does few mistakes. Only problem I have so far is that he needs to think a little faster than at Valencia because the space is more limited. Other than that, he plays pretty much like a very good young player plays in his first season at a huge club. It's not a matter of him not delivering, it's a matter of people expecting unreasonable things from a developing player.

I'm really happy for him so far because even if he didn't do extraordinary stuff, he clearly belongs on the same pitch with our great players. It's just a matter of keep improving and see which are the parts in his game, good or bad, that will be there during his whole career, and which are the parts that will be improved with time. So far he clearly won't ever be a fast player, but several great things are there, like for example the ability to find a safe pass at more or less any moment, even under pressure. Outside of his slowness, which is vastly exagerrated with petty adjectives like "turtle slow" or shit like that, I don't see any reason to not be optimistic about Gomes.

And I really can't understand Barca fans who hate on a player who chose us over Madrid. Fans should love this dude.

Because he is not showing enough potential of the money we paid for him

R

reaper

The person who posted that on Gomes is just as random as you are with a total of 2 posts in your history on here - unless perhaps you are former player with inside knowledge on why the majority have Gomes wrong?

Last edited:

Sensei

The person who posted that on Gomes is just as random as you are with a total of 2 posts in your history on here - unless perhaps you are former player with inside knowledge on why the majority have Gomes wrong?

How is it random for me as a Barca fan posting on BarcaForum? It's more random posting shit from other users on other forums. He's slow but given time maybe he'll get better. Hopefully. Because even Rakitic wasn't good until the second part of 2015 when the whole team kicked it up a notch. Also his price tag wasn't set by him. If anything blame the board for having a hard on for Valencia this past summer.

R

reaper

How is it random for me as a Barca fan posting on BarcaForum? It's more random posting shit from other users on other forums.

I have no idea who you are, for me you are just as random and posting just as much 'shit' as you put it. The Portuguese poster for me is on the money as are the majority of actual barcelona fans with more than 3 posts who have spotted Gomes is garbage..

Incidently, we have a former Hungarian international posting on this forum and his posts on Gomes reflect the portuguese poster's and the rest of us. Have another read:

I doubt he will ever show more in this team, where he simply doesn't fit in.
As we used to say: he is wearing "horse-shoes", meaning he is slow, circuitous and lacks creativity.
Truly bad signing, perhaps those are right who got the conjecture it may have been a very "political" deal...

Last edited:

Sensei

I have no idea who you are, for me you are just as random and posting just as much 'shit' as you put it. The Portuguese poster for me is on the money as are the majority of actual barcelona fans with more than 3 posts who have spotted Gomes is Garbage..

Okay you seem stuck on my amount of posts here in comparison to yours which makes you think you're more entitled to having a opinion. "Mine is bigger than yours" mentality. Childish, grow up. Your replies are off-topic and you're quoting other posters. How about stating your own opinion on Gomes besides saying he's garbage and maybe adding something to the conversation.
Staying on topic, Gomes is here and we have to accept it. I really hope he gets better because our options are limited.

R

reaper

Okay you seem stuck on my amount of posts here in comparison to yours which makes you think you're more entitled to having a opinion.

Not at all. Just makes you random and your opinions on who is talking 'shit' .... shit.. We have a former Hungarian international on here - he agrees perfectly with what has been said about Gomes - that is an example of someone not random - not talking shit.

You see this is a forum. People have views. You can disagree or agree. However when you call people's views shit and random - people will look at you and say.. 'hang on a minute'..:lol: And you will feel like you are feeling now.

Sensei

Okay then. Sorry I hurt your feelings by saying "shit". I'm not disagreeing with the fact that he's slow. I'm just saying it's not all doom and gloom as some make it out to be.

Last edited:

Devils

He's not a bad player by any means, but being not bad isn't good enough for the demand that comes with Barca.

Unless he makes some sort of majestic turn around this season the only thing that we can bank on from him is his potential to become a great player. But it's a lot of money spent and not a whole lot of potential has been seen in his tenure at Barca either.

I don't want to write him off, I actually kind of like the guy, but we need to see some consistent good from him soon.

God Serena

If all we want is potential we have an entire academy that coincidentally excels in producing players in Gomes' specific position. No reason why we should have spent 40m on such an average player based on his potential. I find it hard to imagine Carles Alena or even Samper doing much worse than Gomes but it's pretty easy to see most coaches don't deem them ready yet.

Potroh

Not because someone has said it in a Portuguese forum, but because his summary on Gomes was quite spot on.

If you try to compare Busquets to Gomes, it becomes ill fated, because though Busquets is tall and he's running speed is not the fastest, but with the ball Busquets is quick enough and more importantly he has a wide-view which qualities Gomes definitely lacks. To put it slightly differently: Gomes is not just slow but his movements are heavy, just as his weight is compared to that of the very slim Busquets.

I don't agree with the "takes time" initiative because Barca is either the best team on the globe or used to be that, but it is definitely not a football-school where talented youngsters spend some years to learn (and earn multi-millions in the meantime).
Someone mentioned here that he was slow but could improve, which is just an impossibility. If a player is slow at the age of 24 or so, he will never ever get faster anymore. It's a false and highly emotional hope only.
But in Gomes's case the main problem seem to be being slow mentally and not just psychically... He lacks fantasy, which is a must to add enough to this style of Barca.
He is a good player, no doubt about that, but for Barca "good" is just not enough.

SeloBarca

Hes has the same problems we had with Fabregas and Ibrahimovich.
Both are good, but way to slow for Barcelonas system and mostly just get in the way and slow down the play.

Potroh

Hes has the same problems we had with Fabregas and Ibrahimovich.
Both are good, but way to slow for Barcelonas system and mostly just get in the way and slow down the play.

You are most probably right in saying that.
Nevertheless it brings the question of the coaching team or the guy responsible for hunting possible new players (I don't even recall his name and title), as to me at least it's an impossibility that someone close to this game and with experience couldn't or wouldn't notice that xyz talented young guy (or an elderly one in case of Arda) is slow, or simply plays a different style and most probably he will never ever be able to accommodate to Barca.

To me - by a stupid example - Barca is playing a kind of improvisative Jazz, based on improvisation, individual inventions, speed and fantasy.
Trying to integrate heavy, slow and highly predictable players into this team is a sin, which can indeed slow down everything, so a highly defending and aggressive good opponent can easily take advantage of the "inbuilt" style of these good but average players, because the ball can neither reach Messi or Neymar in time.

Gomes is playing anything but this type of Jazz, he is a good classical musician, playing from sheet-music, written scores, perhaps good in interpreting Mozart but will never ever be able to improvise on his own.
"Giving him time" or waiting him to become an improvisateur by time is simply a futile experiment, he will never ever become one...

Home of Barca Fans