André Gomes

Jenks

Son looked distraught. The referee has seen the extent of the injury and changed his mind to give him a red card, but the challenge itself probably didn't warrant a red from what I can tell. The injury is the result of a horrible freak accident more than anything.

khaled_a_d

Son looked distraught. The referee has seen the extent of the injury and changed his mind to give him a red card, but the challenge itself probably didn't warrant a red from what I can tell. The injury is the result of a horrible freak accident more than anything.

Wasn't it a tackle from behind? It is a straight red even if he wasn't injured

khaled_a_d

Since when is tackling from behind an automatic red card?

Late 90's, think around 1998 IIRC.
https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/who-we-are/news/fifa-crack-down-tackle-from-behind-70380

The International Football Association Board, holding its 112th meeting in Paris, decided upon the following addition to Law XII :

A tackle from behind which endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Acts of serious foul play are punishable by a red card.

serghei

Ankle break is red card man. It's not like the guy fell on his own and injured himself. The tackle broke his ankle. Not only a red, but several games suspension. I like Son a lot, but you can't go kamikaze at someone's leg like that.

I feel sorry for Gomes. A likeable player overall. Seems to me like an Eduardo type injury. 1 year off and never full 100% recovery. And even if medically he is fully recovered, this type of injuries remain in the players' heads forever.

Last edited:

Jenks

I think you need to re-read that. It doesn't say what you think it says. Both sentences only allow for the possibility of a red, they don't mandate it. Besides, it's self-evident that that's not true. Tackles from behind are hardly ever straight reds unless they're particularly dangerous.

Ankle break is red card man. It's not like the guy fell on his own and injured himself. The tackle broke his ankle. [...]

I'm pretty sure it didn't. I haven't seen a replay close up and in slow motion and I'm not sure it's been shown, but from what I could see from the video that was shown was that his ankle broke from the landing, not from the initial contact with Son.

Not only a red, but several games suspension. I like Son a lot, but you can't go kamikaze at someone's leg like that.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the red card was completely overturned on appeal.

Last edited:

serghei

I think you need to re-read that. It doesn't say what you think it says. Both sentences only allow for the possibility of a red, they don't mandate it.

I'm pretty sure it didn't. I haven't seen a replay close up and in slow motion and I'm not sure it's been shown, but from what I could see from the video that was shown his ankle broke from the landing, not from the initial contact with Son.

For me it doesn't matter. When you go in a flying tackle form behind you know you can seriously hurt the player. Son landed nowhere near the ball. Straight on the leg of Gomes. Flying tackles from behind are by definition violent and uncontrolled. Sure, it's not as bad as Taylor vs Eduardo, but Son is to blame for what he did there. He knows it I'm sure and I feel badly for him. He is probably one of the most likable players out there.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the red card was completely overturned on appeal.

Doesn't surprise me anything about Premier League officiating to be honest. I've seen some of the most crazy decisions in that league.

Last edited:

booge

i dont mean it to sound like an order but out of respect i think the forum manager should take away the "despacito" mock from his name

i think it's moments like this you realise the fuss was over just a game of football

Orion

i dont mean it to sound like an order but out of respect i think the forum manager should take away the "despacito" mock from his name

i think it's moments like this you realise the fuss was over just a game of football

Agreed. Never should have been added to begin with. Reflects how toxic FCB fans can be.

Home of Barca Fans