André Gomes

ronniecro

Well, you are right of course. Gomes is not a "shit player" as you put it, he is a young and talented player, on a certain level.
He is not bad with the ball, not too good either. He is dead slow, both on the field as well as in his mind (just as you have mentioned).
Nevertheless he has outstanding shortcomings, namely:
- Tall but awful in the air
- His situational awareness is bad
- Slow with the ball and even without it
- Not too effective in attack, even less in defense
- Needs a lot of space to do anything with the ball (sluggish)
- No brain for unexpected solutions or creative thinking at all
These are his major characteristics. What positive aspects can you name in his relation?
That in a mediocre average team he would be a mediocre average midfielder? Yes, he would be... Doing safe back and side-passes only.
But in Barca??? In Iniesta's or Xavi's positions???

after all of this you listed how can you say he is talented?not trying to argue,i genuinely want to know

Potroh

But the reality is, and here you and others are right, we can't just sign players and wait to see if they can adapt or not. We need to be more selective concerning the type of players we bring in, to make sure that the chances of them adapting to Barca are bigger and that the adaptation is shorter and smoother.

Congrats! Well said and well explained. Not much to add frankly.
Perhaps one thing regarding the typical Barca style you have repeatedly mentioned. The "Barca style" is a creative notion, highly dependent on how particular players can "see" on the ground and how they are able to implement unexpected creative solutions. For this the team need THIS type of players, but some recruitment recently were awful and unnecessary in this regard (Vidal, Arda, Gomes, Digne, etc.)

Last year when Barca got eliminated in the CL by Atletico, I was very angry and dissatisfied, mainly because the team was in good form, but met an opponent that played roughly, dangerously, anything but stylish football. In those two games Barca met the A-typical Anti-football and didn't find the cure against it. Alas, that is almost normal, the toothwort time-killer can indeed win against style and creativity.
But now that Alves and Neymar are gone, Bravo gone, Iniesta is half-existent, Suarez is unreliable, the team is again seems to be short of creativity and that's the main problem. Alas, THIS problem cannot be solved by the type of Gomes and the like...

serghei

Congrats! Well said and well explained. Not much to add frankly.
Perhaps one thing regarding the typical Barca style you have repeatedly mentioned. The "Barca style" is a creative notion, highly dependent on how particular players can "see" on the ground and how they are able to implement unexpected creative solutions. For this the team need THIS type of players, but some recruitment recently were awful and unnecessary in this regard (Vidal, Arda, Gomes, Digne, etc.)

Last year when Barca got eliminated in the CL by Atletico, I was very angry and dissatisfied, mainly because the team was in good form, but met an opponent that played roughly, dangerously, anything but stylish football. In those two games Barca met the A-typical Anti-football and didn't find the cure against it. Alas, that is almost normal, the toothwort time-killer can indeed win against style and creativity.
But now that Alves and Neymar are gone, Bravo gone, Iniesta is half-existent, Suarez is unreliable, the team is again seems to be short of creativity and that's the main problem. Alas, THIS problem cannot be solved by the type of Gomes and the like...

Agreed. Happy we have reached a common ground, as you (and I've said this before) clearly know your football.

That being said, I will continue to defend players that I think are talented, regardless of whether they fit Barca or not, like Alexis Sanchez or even Gomes. I can see Gomes as a talented player even if he doesn't fit us or can't play the type of football we expect a Barca midfielder to play. This is different than saying he is a shit player imo, because the quality of being a good, talented player exists outside FC Barcelona.

Last edited:

Potroh

after all of this you listed how can you say he is talented?not trying to argue,i genuinely want to know

Talented on a certain mediocre level, yes.
Good for some teams not playing a stylish game, good for teams in need of an average supplementary midfielder, as he is okay in a certain average angle, but definitely way less compared to Barca's needs.
Talented to some extent but not on the international level.

(And just as Serghei wisely said, his problems are not related to his age, because he is a type of player that will hardly ever improve regarding his worst qualities).

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think he lacks talent, even if he is made worse by Barca's system.

A guy that isn't spatially aware, makes bad decisions (either extremely safe passes or passing straight to a guy under pressure), doesn't seem to know or understand what he should be doing on the pitch at times, etc. Even in the systems that suit him he doesn't show great footwork or vision or goalscoring ability. I struggle to name one thing he's truly good at. Playmaking? Defending? Dictating play? Driving/attacking? None of that. Not even in the systems that suit him does he ever stand out.

To be 'talented' you have to have some sort of good positive output in a given area. For example Denis at least shows he's dynamic and creative, for all his flaws, and can be useful in those ways to a certain degree.

To classify him as 'talented' redefines what the word talented even means at a professional level. He's absolutely not talented in the way Alexis was talented, I am confident Gomes will never be anywhere near that level of useful/valuable for any team he ever plays for. He doesn't even seem to be talented in the way Denis is talented, that he could at least be useful for something. I think if he went to other teams like Juve or in the EPL the same things would show and, even if he is less exposed for his GHASTLY intellectual game, he would be a vanilla player that doesn't produce or stand out in anything. I doubt he could ever be near as good as Pjanic/Khedira in Juve's midfield, he simply doesn't offer the things they do either offensively or defensively and I think Juve's midfield is absolute shit for a top club and that the two aforementioned players are nowhere near top class. So how is Gomes talented then? He can hold his own in a top flight football match as long as he's in the right system and not asked to play a role outside of his extremely limited skillset? Sure. But I don't consider that talent, not at that level anyway.

Barcilliant

Must be the luckiest guy in football.

Such a shitty player and gets to play for BARCA and Portugal.

I bet Paulinho turns out to be a better signing then him.

ronniecro

Why not? Paulinho was cheaper, and if he gives us two good games, he´s done way more than the portugal apathetic excuse of a player...

paulinho is a player who flopped in europe and in his best years had the only option to go to play in china,he's definitely not a barca quality and above all that his transfer is shameful,shady and corrupted,nothing good about him
for gomes on the other hand,he atleast came from benfica youth ranks and played for valencia,media and the board could create hype that he's young and talented,something you can't say for paulinho
but in the end we're stuck with two average players at best who are taking space and opportunities from our young homegrown players

mark1nhu

paulinho is a player who flopped in europe and in his best years had the only option to go to play in china,he's definitely not a barca quality and above all that his transfer is shameful,shady and corrupted,nothing good about him
for gomes on the other hand,he atleast came from benfica youth ranks and played for valencia,media and the board could create hype that he's young and talented,something you can't say for paulinho
but in the end we're stuck with two average players at best who are taking space and opportunities from our young homegrown players

What both did before joining Barça means nothing, more than that: "he at least came from Bentica/Valencia" means shit.

Gomes could have came from a royalty lineage of great players and Paulinho could have came from an amateur team from a Brazilian favela, but in the end what they do for us on pitch will say who is a better signing.

There is no "absolutely not" to Paulinho maybe becoming a better signing.

I say that agreeing he is not a Barça level player, but we had our fair share of this kind of players that eventually paid off and decently contributed to our success. Gomes is close to convince us he is never going to be this kind of player, while Paulinho still has a clean slate with us.

Sneer

Banned
Just get this guy out of here!
Far far far away from Fc Barcelona.
I used to beg for some patience but not anymore.
He is outright awful!

EdmondDantes

Just send this guy packing. He's jinxed us enough.

I can't even begin to imagine what Messi thinks when he finds out this guy is starting yet another match for us.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans