Alvaro Morata

Leo_Messi

I totally agree with this. A tall, strong striker who can head the ball is a great plan B for a team like ours. If we are going to have a Chelsea striker on loan, I would like it to be Giroud (his contract ends on summer 2019).

As for Morata, I wouldn't mind him if he is the only striker that is available for loan for the rest of the season. We only have Suarez as a striker and we really need another one. The Dembele experiment didn't work out well today.

I did not know about Giroud's contract situation and I have not heard of any rumors about him wanting out. In any case he could be a very useful short-term option indeed for the reminder of the season. Not sure if he would be ready to move to a new country, club etc. and not knowing if he would move there for only 5 months or longer. That's the main problem with loaning players for 5 months only.

Yes, I have called for such an "luxury" striker for years. In fact pre-Ibra as well.

Just think about how many times the aerial presence of the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema and Ramos (although he is not an attacker) has bailed out RM when nothing else worked. It has helped them win several CL titles etc. We don't really have that option when nothing works. Flooding the penalty area with crosses almost always creates goal-scoring opportunities.

Just take a look at Alba and his crosses. He almost never makes high crosses. Almost always "flat" crosses. Having both options would be a good thing and add more unpredictability into our attacking play.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

There is also something beautiful about a traditional number 9 that is an aerial beast although that breed is dying out quickly in today's game.

Think about someone like C. Ronaldo (yes, I know that he is not a traditional number 9 but talking about heading ability here), Kluivert, Vieri, Klose, Aduriz, Llorente etc.

Barcilliant

Would take him on loan for sure but hes a Madridsta so it won't happen.

He's a confidence player. He needs to feel the love.

Riordon

IMO he is better than all of these young 9's we are linked with. He is proven quality both at Juve and Real but it isn't working for him in Chelsea. Was doing very good at the beginning of his Chelsea years.

Fast, technical and good in the air. If Chelsea wants to get rid of him we should try a loan with option to buy.

Honestly, the more I think about the more sense getting him make. Had forgot about him this season when discussed options as 9's. He would be a good fit I believe.

Last edited:

Messi983

Morata wants to leave Chelsea to get more regular playing time which he won't get here so from his standpoint coming to Barça is not really ideal unless he wants to stick it to Madrid (and that's why I wouldn't mind us getting him).

We are probably looking for a striker who wouldn't complain being on the bench but would make an impact as a sub/in rare starts. I think whoever we'll bring this month (if anyone at all) will be viewed primarily as a 6-month solution (though we might negotiate a buy option just in case) and we'll go after a possible longterm Suarez's replacement in summer.

I have no idea who Abidal is targeting now if what I wrote is true. Maybe a veteran like F.Llorente or Giroud though I think even with his contract expiring he's still in Sarri's plans and they won't let him go with Morata on his way out and there are also doubts how Giroud would adapt to La Liga where he's never played before.

Riordon

Morata wants to leave Chelsea to get more regular playing time which he won't get here so from his standpoint coming to Barça is not really ideal unless he wants to stick it to Madrid (and that's why I wouldn't mind us getting him).

We are probably looking for a striker who wouldn't complain being on the bench but would make an impact as a sub/in rare starts. I think whoever we'll bring this month (if anyone at all) will be viewed primarily as a 6-month solution (though we might negotiate a buy option just in case) and we'll go after a possible longterm Suarez's replacement in summer.

I have no idea who Abidal is targeting now if what I wrote is true. Maybe a veteran like F.Llorente or Giroud though I think even with his contract expiring he's still in Sarri's plans and they won't let him go with Morata on his way out and there are also doubts how Giroud would adapt to La Liga where he's never played before.

From what I can understand from MD we are looking for a younger striker.

Messi983

From what I can understand from MD we are looking for a younger striker.

I doubt we'll get any of the rumoured targets in January unless we would clearly overpay for one of them or let's say execute Maxi Gomez buy out clause. We would need to free a non-EU spot before that so probably loan/sell Malcom though.

According to Miguel Rico we rejected Morata because Chelsea wanted 5M loan fee for 6 months. He also mentioned we are looking for someone who would learn from Suarez and is financially more affordable.

Is there perhaps a young striker in Ligue 1 whom Abidal likes and we haven't heard about much in the media? I know Nicolas Pepe was mentioned before but his rumoured price is 80M so he doesn't exactly fit that financial criteria. Anyone else?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Givenchy

Morata would want big wages and our dear Ernie isn't exactly known for his man management skills, he'd probably manage to make Morata even worse

Home of Barca Fans