Alen Halilović

Messi983

20% for sure! That will be 20 EUR! :rofl1:

He was relegated with every single team he played for! What the fuck is wrong with Milan? Are they blind? :facepalm:

He wasn't relegated in 2016/17 with Las Palmas when he came over on loan in January. And this season he was out injured for most of the first half of the season but Las Palmas was just a mess so I doubt even Messi could save them from relegation.

He was actually playing good for Gijon in 15/16 season but again as a team they were just not good enough to stay up.

BBZ8800

He wasn't relegated in 2016/17 with Las Palmas when he came over on loan in January. And this season he was out injured for most of the first half of the season but Las Palmas was just a mess so I doubt even Messi could save them from relegation.

He was actually playing good for Gijon in 15/16 season but again as a team they were just not good enough to stay up.

I have wrote my rule a lot of times: if too many coaches in a row don't count on a player, there is usually a very strong reason for it.
The next Messi Halilovic was allowed to leave Barcelona, then in Gijon Abelardo benched him at the end of a season, in Hamburg, Germans weren't happy with his workrate, in Las Palmas "the team was in mess", in Croatian NT team, he isn't nowhere close to an NT team for several coaches in a row.

3-4 years ago while he was here, I was annoyed with posts how he is a future starter because he never had a mental potential and his technical game was a one trick pony game with nice dribbles which sometimes remind on Messi.
Basically, reminding on Messi while running was his biggest footballing skill.
But he is highly ineffective player at the end of a day and a team often plays better without him on a field.

Anyway, before I somewhat hated this kid due to crazy hype from our forum, but lately I am sad about him.
Not only that he will never make it a big club, but I am unsure whether he will ever be able to stay in any club for more than 1 season without being loaned/sold/released.

Visually, he looks as a shiny and dangerous player, but obviously, when coaches get to know him and when they were able to analyze his actual impact on a play over 20-30 matches, every single coach gives up on him and sells him to a new club.

I hope that he will be able to improve mentally, to be more effective on a field and have at least some semi-decent professional career.
He will probably have a career like Bojan Krkic.

Messi983

I agree with your "rule". I wasn't defending Alen and I don't have any expectations about his future though I still wish him the best as I do with all former Barça players that have left the club on good terms. My point was that he has played for two poor teams (Gijon in 15/16 and Las Palmas last season) who would be relegated regardless of Alen's performances. Maybe if he would really be what he was supposed to be he could helped Gijon to stay up but there was no player that could've saved Las Palmas.

I have no idea what plans Milan has for Alen but they won't be relegated because of his presence. Maybe he won't help them to improve much but I don't think he'll harm the club either in case he'll get some important minutes. And if he'll just be a squad/rotational player even less so. I guess in their situation they've bought him mainly because he's cheap (transfer fee is rumoured to be about 2-3M) and they hope he'll have a good season so they can sell him for a profit. I think the fact he's only got a 3-year contract shows they don't have a full condifence he will become at least a useful player, let alone a star(ter) for them. Big clubs usually sign 22 year old talents on 5 year contracts but in Alen's case I think he's just a gamble they are willing to take because of his low price but still (for them) intriguing potential they hope he can show while there.

BBZ8800

This post is not about Alen, but an example to people how a career can went into a downward spiral very fast.

3-4 years ago, Odegaard and Halilovic were almost the brightest talents in the world.
Croatian media called him "s Croatian Messi" from his early days.
Even on this forum, a lot of people thought that he could be s future superstar.
Yet, 3-4 years later his transfer value is: signed as a free agent, ouch.

It will be interesting to follow all Alenas, Oriols and even Dembeles of our era.
Some will make it, some will end as average, some will turn into almost 2nd div players.

Just some examples of players who looked destined to be world superstars:
Bojan, Gai Assulin, Halil, Adama, Lee...

The point of this post is not: all young players suck.
But more like how often a player's career turns from: a future superstar into a wtf happened with this guy?

MTL_Barca

I think Halilovic is also a good example of taking a bad career path. Hamburg for example was the the worst step he could take. New league and then out of all possible destinations choose one of the most chaotic clubs of all top leagues, constantly in trouble and changing coaches at least 1-2x per season? Thats just asking for it at this point.

Surprised he made it to Milan now, but they are pretty much the HSV of big name clubs so not really that surprising thinking about it :lol:

Jombi

This post is not about Alen, but an example to people how a career can went into a downward spiral very fast.

3-4 years ago, Odegaard and Halilovic were almost the brightest talents in the world.
Even on this forum, a lot of people thought that he could be s future superstar.

It will be interesting to follow all Alenas, Oriols and even Dembeles of our era.
Some will make it, some will end as average, some will turn into almost 2nd div players.

But more like how often a player's career turns from: a future superstar into a wtf happened with this guy?

lol, destined to be world superstars....Having showed absolutely nothing at the senior level...I think you shouldnt take the media so serious. They need to sell papers.

Mbappe is something you can say looks destined to be world superstar. 18 years old and absolutely dominating at the senior level.

BBZ8800

lol, destined to be world superstars....Having showed absolutely nothing at the senior level...I think you shouldnt take the media so serious. They need to sell papers.

Mbappe is something you can say looks destined to be world superstar. 18 years old and absolutely dominating at the senior level.

Ok, but for example, France Football, top 10 young players who will be best players in 2020:
http://www.weloba.com/munir-and-halilovic-are-in-the-top10-of-the-best-young-players

The article is from 2015.
In that moment, the biggest talents in the world were:
The list with the 50 footballers that will be TOP at 2020

1. Memphis Depay (Manchester United).
2. Marquinhos (PSG).
3. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).
4. Kurt Zouma (Chelsea).
5. Max Meyer (Schalke04).
6. Munir El-Haddadi (FC Barcelona).
7. Martin Ödegaard (Real Madrid).
8. Bernardo Silva (AS Mónaco).
9. Alen Halilovic (FC Barcelona).
10. Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen).
11. Breel Embolo (Basel).
12. Emre Can (Liverpool).
13. Anthony Martial (AS Mónaco).
14. Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion).
15. Jairo Riedewald (Ajax Amsterdam)
16. Nathan (Vitesse Arnhem/Chelsea).
17. Samuel Umtiti (Lyon).
18. Ross Barkley (Everton).
19. Ruben Neves (FC Porto).
20. Timo Werner (Stuttgart).
21. Adrien Rabiot (PSG).
22. Gerson (Fluminense).
23. Danilo Cataldi (Lazio Rome).
24. Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo).
25. Adama Traoré (AS Mónaco).
26. Youri Tielemans (Anderlecht)
27. Michy Batshuayi (Olympique Marsella).
28. Marlon (Fluminense).
29. José Luis Gaya (FC Valencia).
30. John Stones (Everton).
31. Kingsley Coman (Juventus).
32. Óliver Torres (Atlético Madrid).
33. Gabriel Barbosa (FC Santos).
34. Pierre-Emile Höjberg (Bayern Múnich).
35. Daniele Rug ani (Juventus).
36. Lucas Ocampos (Marsella).
37. Rony Lopes (Manchester City).
38. Luke Shaw (Manchester United).
39. Julian Green (Bayern Múnich).
40. Tin Jedvaj (Leverkusen).
41. Adnan Januzaj (Manchester United).
42. Thomas Lemar (AS Mónaco).
43. Iñaki Willams (Athletic Bilbao).
44. Leon Goretzka (Schalke 04).
45. Allan Saint-Maximin (St. Etienne).
46. Jordon Ibe (Liverpool).
47. Ezequiel Ponce (Newell’s).
48. Simone Scuffet (Udinese).
49. Pedrag Rajkovic (Estrella Roja Belgrado).
50. Guido Vadala (Boca Juniors/Juventus)..

In hindsight, it is interesting to check 3 years later, how these "best" talents in the world developed and how many of them are playing or ready to play in the biggest clubs.

Jombi

Ok, but for example, France Football, top 10 young players who will be best players in 2020:
http://www.weloba.com/munir-and-halilovic-are-in-the-top10-of-the-best-young-players

The article is from 2015.
In that moment, the biggest talents in the world were:

In hindsight, it is interesting to check 3 years later, how these "best" talents in the world developed and how many of them are playing or ready to play in the biggest clubs.

They need to sell papers. Everyone knows that its basically impossible to tell whether someone can become good when they are just playing in U-17 World Cups and in obscure, weak leagues and reserve teams as 18 year olds.

CatalinR10

This guy will end up like Cuenca but at least Cuenca had some nice performances for us . This guy was hyped up to the extremes being called as the next Messi only to switch teams like socks cause nobody wants him. Fucking LOL.

aondoe

This a harsh and sobering reality of the game. Even when I was younger, I played with promising players, coaches knew were destined to be great (American) players. Myself included. But none of us went pro, or were good enough to dominate even on the American college level. I feel bad for the Borjans and Adamas, as well as Halilovic. They were expecting to be world class talents, only to fall much further from where their talents were supposed to take them.

Home of Barca Fans