Adrien Rabiot

Total-Football

Scary how underrated Rabiot is here ? Have you even watched the guy play ? He is simply a world class defensive midfielder, at worst case scenario he is an immediate heir to a dying buskets. I had the pleasure to watch him from the stands when Psg played Monaco in tangier and his football intelligence simply stood out in my eyes, in a game that was stacked with world class players from both sides, including a young Mbappe.

My only concern now is (lets do some listing à la BBZ)

1-the attitude issues
2- the inbenchability of sergio buskets ( if pique is not then why serio would)

Thats it, 2 major concerns. But if he is coming for free, thats a double bingo, regardless of the big salary. In fact, on short term, he will give more than Dejong, Messi after all is entering his last hurrah days, thus we need to maximise the strenght now.

ronniecro

Rabiot thread is becoming quite amusing these days. :lol:

I prefer FDJ over Rabiot but let's be honest Rabiot is a good player and some of you are describing him like we are talking about Gumbau FFS. If he was THAT bad PSG would have given up on him long time ago. I wonder if we could ask PSG board would they prefer to keep Rabiot or sign FDJ what would they answer?

he plays for club that is miles ahead of others in weak french league after all

Givenchy

Scary how underrated Rabiot is here ? Have you even watched the guy play ? He is simply a world class defensive midfielder, at worst case scenario he is an immediate heir to a dying buskets. I had the pleasure to watch him from the stands when Psg played Monaco in tangier and his football intelligence simply stood out in my eyes, in a game that was stacked with world class players from both sides, including a young Mbappe.

My only concern now is (lets do some listing à la BBZ)

1-the attitude issues
2- the inbenchability of sergio buskets ( if pique is not then why serio would)

Thats it, 2 major concerns. But if he is coming for free, thats a double bingo, regardless of the big salary. In fact, on short term, he will give more than Dejong, Messi after all is entering his last hurrah days, thus we need to maximise the strenght now.

Rabiot is NOT world class. i don't even think PSG fans would call him that and hes no way in hell the heir to Busi.

I love Messi as much as the next cule but fuck buying older/stop gap players just to serve him in his twilight years, i want to see our board planning for the future as right now when Leo does retire we are fucked

ill be fair and say Frankie is a bigger risk right now compared to Rabiot; ligue 1 might not be great but the dutch league.. we've all seen how the likes of Memphis did when he left for the PL

Last edited:

BBZ8800

hes no way in hell the heir to Busi.

Can you explain this part about Busi?

Do you remember that our Cdms before Busi were Cocu, Motta, Edmilson, Marquez and Van Bommel?
All players of Rabiot's profile.

Here is a video of Rabiot from THIS season.
Now please, how is this not a player quite closer to Rakitic's type or to Cocu's/Edmilson's type of a pre-Busi pivots?
Also, in the video you will see how he can't be bullied in 1 vs 1 attacking or defensive duels by the opponents due to his physical strength.
His pace, passes and longballs are quite good in this video:

I am not saying that he is the best player in the world.
But the point is: if we won't sign Rabiot, we will go for a player of a similar type to have at least one taller/stronger midfielder in a team, like Rakitic/Edmilson/Van Bommel.
If you think that Ndombele is better:
1. why is Barca after Rabiot then and not after Ndombele as their first choice?
2. why is Psg not letting this "crappy" Rabiot leave to Barca and they could buy a mighty Ndombele then and strengthen their team?
Instead, even Nasser is offering 12M to Rabiot to stay.

jamrock

Weak french league seems to have better result than the Top 2 clubs currently in Premier League.

The French league is weak bro, stop depending it & just accept it. Psg has totally shifted the land scape of the league.

Lots of great great talents though.

Givenchy

Can you explain this part about Busi?

Do you remember that our Cdms before Busi were Cocu, Motta, Edmilson, Marquez and Van Bommel?
All players of Rabiot's profile.

Here is a video of Rabiot from THIS season.
Now please, how is this not a player quite closer to Rakitic's type or to Cocu's/Edmilson's type of a pre-Busi pivots?
Also, in the video you will see how he can't be bullied in 1 vs 1 attacking or defensive duels by the opponents due to his physical strength.
His pace, passes and longballs are quite good in this video:

I am not saying that he is the best player in the world.
But the point is: if we won't sign Rabiot, we will go for a player of a similar type to have at least one taller/stronger midfielder in a team, like Rakitic/Edmilson/Van Bommel.
If you think that Ndombele is better:
1. why is Barca after Rabiot then and not after Ndombele as their first choice?
2. why is Psg not letting this "crappy" Rabiot leave to Barca and they could buy a mighty Ndombele then and strengthen their team?
Instead, even Nasser is offering 12M to Rabiot to stay.

the guy I quoted said he was an immediate heir to Busi

1. why is Barca after Rabiot instead of Ndombele? because our board are a bunch of monkeys and rather go with the cheap option
2. not sure why you are calling Ndombele 'mighty' when i didn't even mention us signing him but PSG likely want to keep Rabiot as hes one of Nassers favourites iirc

you are so obsessed with tall, strong players. theres more to football than thugs dude

Jombi

How do people know we are not after Ndombele or Aouar? No one knows. Plenty of signings come out of nowhere and there are plenty of smokescreens.

Just to make it clear: Rabiot is not free at all.

xXKonan

Don't really need to be tall to be considered a good football player.

With Rabiot there's a good player in him and can improve, yet he is his own worst enemy. He can't come here to Barcelona and expect to pull half the crap he pulled at PSG. At least with Neymar, he had the power of marketing and Ability and got along great with the team but with Rabiot? he will probably end up digging his grave early on if he tried to pick a fight with the Locker room.

wisconsincule

I thought Rabiot is the natural Rakitic replacement? I’m all for getting him if that means Rakitic will be sold this summer. Having both and Valverde still in charge would mean we are doing the same thing as we do now. Valverde plays Rakitic 90 minutes regardless.

BBZ8800

you are so obsessed with tall, strong players. theres more to football than thugs dude

Don't really need to be tall to be considered a good football player.

I have wrote millions of lines here, and you still don't get what my problem with tall and short players is...

My idea is: that technique is the most important skill, of course.
But it works only to a certain extent.
You can win with technical and physically weaker or average players ONLY if you are way superior in technique.

Something like:
Barca technique 10/10, physique 5/10
Bayern technique 7/10, physique 8/10

In this case, we will usually win and dominate.

The problem is that we (Barca) have hit a plateau more or less in terms of physical skills 20-30 years ago.
We haven't improved in technique too much (because it is impossible to improve much more).
Yet, other BIG TEAMS (big teams, NOT Getafe, a key part) have closed the gap with us in terms of technique (Bayern, Real, English teams, Juve, Roma).
And yet, they were always physically stronger than us, and lately they have improved even more.

So, Barca vs Italian team 10-20 years ago was something like:
Barca Technique 10/10, Physique 5/10
Italian team Technique 7,5/Physique 7,5/10

And today, that looks more like:
Barca (the same as 20 years ago, zero improvement): Technique 10/10, Physique 5/10
Italian teams: Technique 9/10, Physique 9/10

So, other big teams have closed the gap in terms of technique.
But are way better than us in terms of physique: strength, height, stamina, pace, physical duels, attacking corners, defensive corners, crosses.
And some of you will reply: you don't need crosses, duels and physique IF you CAN dominate in technique.
But the problem is: we can't dominate in technique anymore, because the opponents have evolved and closed the gap in technique.
And then: when we are similar in technique, who wins matches?
= a team who is better in other areas, like physical duels, counters, crosses, attacking corners, defensive corners etc.

This is exactly why I am saying all the time: you can win La liga with Arthur&Puig duo.
That can work against Getafe and Las Palmas.
That won't work though against English teams, Juve, Roma, Bayern, Atletico in a CL.

Also, another problem is that lately big matches are tight 50:50 games (CL knockout matches and World cup knockouts).
And lately, you could have seen that in those matches:
= it is hard top create a chance through the middle with shortpassing and "classical football".
And France, Real and other teams were winning matches with headers after crosses, headers after corners, headers after free kicks.

So, if you can win against Juve/Bayern/Atletico in Barca's way and win 3:0=fine.
But that is not happening lately, isn't it?

How DO actually our CL knockout matches look like lately?
= tight 50:50 matches without clear chances.
And goals are scored from counters, corners, penalties, free kicks or headers after crosses.

Remember how France won a World cup?
With tons of counters, free kicks, penalties, and headers after corners and free kicks, almost in every match.

How have RM won last 4 CLs?
= in the same way

So, against France and Real in semis and finals:
1. they will score from corners for 1:0
2. they won't concede from corners in the defense due to their physicality
The only way to win against France and Real is to totally outplay them.

On the other hand, how to win against Barca?
= just play a 50:50 match, wait for a few corners and counters and that's it.

Barca is quite easy to beat in 50:50 matches.
Real (with CR7) and France=extremely hard to beat.

This is why I am saying that we can't win CLs with Arthur, Puig and similar players.
With that type of players, you can win ONLY if you will win every match with 3:0.
On the other hand, in rocky days, in 0:0 matches, we will crumble in the 80th minute after crosses and corners.

For example, our last few CL exits.
Let's check how exactly were we killed in those matches:

Roma 3:0
1:0 Dzeko, a LONG BALL, 170 cm Alba being too short, 193 cm tall Dzeko scores easily
2:0 a penalty
3:0 189cm tall Manolas, A CORNER KICK, scoring a header over 177cm tall Semedo.
For those who will reply: Semedo shouldn't have jump with him. Well, Roma had 7-8 players with height 186-195, and we had only Pique and Busi who could jump.,
So, Roma had at least 5-6 tall players left unmarked. And that's what happened in the end...
= 1 goal scored directly due to our short players (3rd goal), and 1 goal indirectly (1st goal, Alba unable to clear the ball)

Juve:Roma 3:0
3:0 187cm tall Chiellini, scoring a header after a corner, outjumping 174cm tall Mascherano, who didn't even jump

Atletico:Barca 2:0
1:0 Griezmann, A HEADER after a cross, left alone with (short) Dani Alves who didn't even mark a player
2:0 a penalty

Atletico:Barca 1:0
1:0 A cross from the left side, Atletico's player outjumping our short Jordi Alba, and Koke scores after that.
So, indirectly we conceded again due to short players who can't handle crosses and headers

Bayern:Barca 4:0
1:0 188cm tall Dante outjumps 171 cm tall Dani Alves, and 186cm Muller scoring a header after that
2:0 186cm Muller outjumps 171cm tall Dani Alves, and sends the ball to Mario Gomez who is scoring a tap in

So, in our last 5 CL exits, in away games, these are the scores:
3:0
3:0
2:0
1:0
4:0
= total score: 13:0

Number of goals scored by Barca: 0
Number of goals scored by our opponents: 13
Number of goals Barca scored with headers: 0
Number of goals our opponents scored with headers due to height: 6

So, almost half of our goals conceded in KEY CL matches are=from corners or after crosses/headers.

And that is exactly what I am talking about:
Against Getafe, you don't need height=you will win due to technique alone.
Against Juve, Atletico, Bayern, in tight 50:50 matches, if you don't score, you will be killed after corners.

Now let's go back to Real and France:
= if they can create through shortpassing=awesome
= if not=they will score after corners and crosses

Can France and Real concede after corners?
= highly unlikely

If you are a younger fine, you probably still haven't noticed this patter.
On the other hand, if your team (Barca) has been ***** on physique, crosses, 1 vs 1 physical duels since your first final (1994 vs Milan), then you will be tired of reading posts how we should play with Arthur&Puig in a CL and have any mathematical chances to win it.

My opinion is that these flaws in our team were masked by Messi and he saved our asses for years.
And now, when he will be gone, we will have a good old Barca, which won 1 CL in 107 years without Messi, with our short, light and technical footballers.

Btw, as said above, my first CL final as Barca's fan, Milan:Barca 4:0 in 1994:
Milan's midfield and attack:
Desailly 185cm
Boban 183cm
Savicevic 182cm
Albertini 180cm
Massaro 179cm
Donadoni 173cm

Classical light Barca on the other hand:
Guardiola 180cm
Stoichkov 178cm
Amor 174cm
Begiristain 172cm
Bakero 169cm
Romario 167cm

When your skinny and light Guardiola is the tallest man in your team, you know that you will experience a lot of troubles in the next 90 minutes.
And of course, we barely touched the ball, losing almost every single attacking and defensive duel.
And this was NOT due to height.
This was because Milan had:
Technique 9/10
AND Physique 9/10
They had BOTH skills.

And we had:
Technique 10/10
Physique 4/10

And we were eaten alive, like 10s of times after that in the last 25-30 years:

THIS IS WHY I want SOME Rabiots in our team, and not a team full of Arthurs and Puigs.

Home of Barca Fans