A group close to FC Barcelona want Villa to remove the Spanish flag from his boots

T

tsaffu

stop mixing football with politics. he has the right to be Spanish and wear his flag with pride.

Hektor

Hi:

It is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Even though, I am a strong supporter of Catalunya's independence, I'm also a stronger defender of Villa's right of free expression.

Hektor

XaviMessiGirl

Spat on my screen laughing at that :lol:

me too :lol:

Anyway, I don't know about this one. If it's true, while I understand Barca is a huge symbol of Catalanism, they shouldn't have to ask him (or any other non-Catalan Spaniard) to take away a symbol of his own heritage, because if they did that they would have to ask the same of Messi, Alves, etc. It should be his personal choice in the end.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Read this on el confidential.

BARCA is a symbol for people from Catalunya who want Catalunya to be independent . It has always been like this , We can`t walk alone. We will always have to walk with the History.History teaches , Spain`s politics has always been mixed up with sports .

And Villa would have to remove it. That`s it.

Barca has never been a club exclusive to separatists. It's the club of Catalunya, and as such a rallying point for separatists (and other forms of Catalan nationalism, because you can be a Catalan nationalist without being anti-Spain),but there's no part of the club's identity that requires one to be anti-Spain or pro Independent Catalunya. It's a sports team first after all, one that has had great Spaniards play for it and one that has had support from all over Spain.

Villa doesn't have to remove it, no more than Messi has to remove the Argentina colours from his boots. I agree with Tonio completely on this issue, if Barcelona wants to be an exclusively Catalan club it can follow the way of Athletic Bilbao, but to employ players who self-identify as Spanish and refuse to let them express this (and we are talking about a Asturian who has shown support for his own regional identity too much to accuse him of Castilian hegemony), it's a disgusting violation of what this club at least used to stand for, and quite frankly hypocritical considering the club's history.

Anyway it's probably BS but I'm disturbed to hear Barcelona supporters support shit like this.

Home of Barca Fans