9 - Robert Lewandowski

malvolio

I don't have an opinion.
Just an impression how Barca's social impact is way lesser than before.

Teens are fickle.

My first favorite club when I was like 7-8 years old was Ac Milan.
Why?
Because when I watched CL finals in 1989 and 1990, Ac Milan was the winner.
And every kid wants to cheer for the best side out there.
So, Milan (Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard) weas my first love. Maybe this is why I am always leaning towards strong, tall, more result oriented football than Barca's fans. (The same as how Pep's football flows in majority of our fan's blood).
During the 90s due to Romario, Stoichkov and R9, I started to love Barca, even though I still also loved Milan.

But hear this: as Ac Milan was dying in late 90s and early 00s, compared to their glory days = I moved to Barca as my no1.
But then during Gaspart's days, since Barca was sooo bad (something like today) and there wasn't La Liga matches in my country back then (only Seria A and EPL), so I had a short fling with AS Roma around 1999-2003 when they had young Totti, Batistuta and Cafu.
But then when Ronnie came to Barca, I moved back to Barca's camp.

I guess that today's teens are even more fickle since they have even more options/streams/matches/favorite players/social media than we do.

In that sense:
1. we were on top of the world. We are around the 10th place today in strength probably (in the last few years).
2. we had GOAT Messi and ultrapopular Messi-Cr7 rivalry. They are both gone, we don't have that rivalry anymore
3. we had MSN and Neymar, who was quite popular in Brazil and among kids. He was supposed to be the next big thing, and majority of 6 year old kids in my area back then had a jersey of either Messi, Cr7 or Neymar. We don't have that anymore.
Today I see jerseys of Neymar, Mbappe and Haaland. Or some old Barca's Messi jerseys. No one, for example wears: Dembele or Fati in my country.
4. about social media on Instagram and similar, sure, Barca surely have millions of followers, from the past. But I guess the trends of growth would show that City, Psg, Real or even Arsenal/Man Utd surely had bigger growth than Barca in the last 2 years.
I mean, when you look at it from the outside, there is absolutely nothing interesting at Barca currently.
When Instagram or Facebook offer me random football reels, it is always: Messi from the past, CR7 from the past, R9 from the past. Or: Haaland, Mbappe (for some reason, I don't want to step into racism territory, but it seems that Mbappe is by far the most popular footballer among black people), Grealish, jokes about Maguire. That's it.
I don't know when was the last time when I have seen a reel or a joke/troll football post about Barca.

This is why we bought Lewa. To bring back the relevancy. But he is extremely old and 13 year old kids love younger crazy dudes with crazy haircuts and jokes, like Haaland, Mbappe and Neymar. 13 year olds are not impressed by 34 year old Polish granny with a normal haircut and without any tattoos.

Barca was as equally as boring/irrelevant pre-Ronaldinho.
Then we got back star power, beautiful play and top results. And it continued with Messi.

And again, today: we don't have any star power, pop-stars/teen idols. Our football is meh and our results are atrocious.
Remember how I changed clubs as a teen based on their popularity. And then ask yourself: how many 13 year olds from Nigeria or India will follow Barca after 8:2 vs Bayern and 2 straight group stage KOs.
Kids want winners and idols. Fati, Dembele and Pedri are not their idols and heroes.
Haaland and Mbappe are.

Lewa was never relevant as a star. I mean, not on the level of South Americans or young stars like Mbappe and Haaland.

soul24rage

Congrats Lewy! Back to back Gerd Muller award winner

FfS1_YmXwAADwLI

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
Lewa accepting this award is not good for him, the voters will votes less and less in the coming years since he is likely to get that muller award or some new made up award every year..

Some of the members of this forum are unreal about scolding Lewandowski for underachieving like he is some sort of a fraud.
I don’t think he deserves it at this stage of his career - you eyes were seeing what they were buying - maybe you should have bough Holland or Mbpape. Why did you not? - asking rhetorically, you don’t need to answer.
I think, dear Barca fans, that you should start measuring your ambitions with skills you have.

You are a declining brand and not very sexy due to your frivolous financial politics.
It is beyond me that you really thought that bringing Lewandowski might be a game changer for you…
The likes of him is evidently what you could barely afford at this time and his role could be at best the one of a performance patch for the time being. Something that you still need to stay afloat in the sphere of the global recognition but the very thought you might have had aspirations for belonging to the strictest elite of football at this ongoing financial debacle is difficult to justify.

It is clear to me that he is not a panacea to your current short comings - instead he is a pain killer while you have to figure out a way to rebuild the club.
Respectfully,
Lewandowski's fan and temporary Barca fan - only for as long as Lewandowski plays in your jersey.

blaug

He's better at holding the ball and at passing, but he can't beat his marker with his quick movement like Auba. We should have kept Auba imo. He added a different dimension to our attack

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He's better at holding the ball and at passing, but he can't beat his marker with his quick movement like Auba. We should have kept Auba imo. He added a different dimension to our attack

i think its also because of tiredness as in his first matches he was quicker when beating his marker, now he looks so slow. Give him a match rest then he should be back.

Home of Barca Fans