8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

Porque

If Barcelona promote and Pimienta stays, then it will be better to come to Barcelona B than stay in Las Palmas.

I would like to see him loaned to a LaLiga, Eredivisie or even Bundesliga side though. I think he is ready for the competition. He needs to develop in a side with more attacking talent around him and one who is comfortable in possession.

khaled_a_d

If Barcelona promote and Pimienta stays, then it will be better to come to Barcelona B than stay in Las Palmas.

I would like to see him loaned to a LaLiga, Eredivisie or even Bundesliga side though. I think he is ready for the competition. He needs to develop in a side with more attacking talent around him and one who is comfortable in possession.

Barca B in Segunda is like the worst way to promote any young player. Like honestly I doubt there is even a worse way than that. I would actually prefer a player to train in 1st team with no game play that play with B team in Segunda.
Pedri has not done well after hot start, he is way too young to loan and not fully polished to play in 1st division football. I would wait another year before moving him elsewhere. In LP he is a starter surrounded by some veterans and in a team that play in him. There is no assured playing time elsewhere.

Andresito

Staff member
How the hell did we get him so early and so cheap? Las Palmas probably could've gotten a lot more had they waited. But I guess he wasn't as big of a revelation then as he is now?

khaled_a_d

How the hell did we get him so early and so cheap? Las Palmas probably could've gotten a lot more had they waited. But I guess he wasn't as big of a revelation then as he is now?

Well, when he moved to Barca he got more in the spot light.
How many of us would have known his name if he didn't sign with us?
How much would LP would expect to get now for a 17 years old player who has scored 3 goals and only recorded 4 assists in the season as attacking player? It seems like a fair deal tbh. Not every young player will go for 30M

Andresito

Staff member
Well, when he moved to Barca he got more in the spot light.
How many of us would have known his name if he didn't sign with us?
How much would LP would expect to get now for a 17 years old player who has scored 3 goals and only recorded 4 assists in the season as attacking player? It seems like a fair deal tbh. Not every young player will go for 30M

Just noticed that LP have a 15% on future fee we get, plus an additional 1M through bonus. So if we sell him for 30M in the future LP would basically earn a total of 10M for Pedri, not too bad.

Messi983

Any body watched him in 2020? He hasn't registered a goal or assist since November (14 consecutive games) and has just 3 goals and 4 assists, 6 of those are in 1st 2 months in the season.
I think we should let him stay there for another season or 2 tbh.
He is just too young and no need to rush him at all.

It's not really Pedri's fault. He's too good for this team, he's just not surrounded with a lot of talent and can't do it all by himself. He had a very good chemistry with Jonathan Viera in first half of the season but since Viera has returned to China in January they've struggled offensively. They haven't won yet in 2020 and have only scored 6 goals in 10 games. Pepe Mel started to use Pedri in a deeper role in the last games before the break and he has created some good chances but their attackers are just not good. 38 yo Ruben Castro is their best striker and he has missed a lot of games due to injury.

Exactly. I think he would develop great in a team like Sociedad or Betis. Either way, he shouldn't stay at Las Palmas for another season. Unless they would improve overall quality of their team a lot but it doesn't seem they have any interest in doing so.

Las Palmas desperately needed money. They haven't really gotten much from Pedri's transfer though since it went into the pocket of their corrupted president according to their fans.

Just noticed that LP have a 15% on future fee we get, plus an additional 1M through bonus. So if we sell him for 30M in the future LP would basically earn a total of 10M for Pedri, not too bad.

There were reports LP could earn up to 25m with all add-ons if Pedri will establish himself in our first team and play up to 100 games.

Andresito

Staff member
Exactly. I think he would develop great in a team like Sociedad or Betis. Either way, he shouldn't stay at Las Palmas for another season. Unless they would improve overall quality of their team a lot but it doesn't seem they have any interest in doing so.

If clubs like Sociedad or Betis are to loan such a young player it'll have to be for 2 years, especially when Pedri has 0 Liga experience. We basically can't count on him until 2022.
But after that period I'm sure we'll either have a good player for Barca or a player we can sell for a nice profit.

Messi983

If clubs like Sociedad or Betis are to loan such a young player it'll have to be for 2 years, especially when Pedri has 0 Liga experience. We basically can't count on him until 2022.
But after that period I'm sure we'll either have a good player for Barca or a player we can sell for a nice profit.

They would surely prefer a 2-year loan but I think they would gladly take him for just one season as well. If not Betis or Sociedad then find another similar club where he'll be given a fair opportunitiy to earn regular first team playing time. Would be quite stupid if he would perform great on loan while we would struggle in midfield next year but we couldn't get him back so if it will be a 2-year loan we should have an option to call him back next summer when we can re-evaluate things depending on how he'll develop. We'll potentially have a new coach and more midfielders could leave to open up a spot for Pedri in the first team in 2021.

But then again it wouldn't surprise me much if he'll do enough to convince Setien in preseason to keep him as a part of the first team next season. I still think he wouldn't get enough minutes so loaning him out is better for his longterm development.

Porque

Barca B in Segunda is like the worst way to promote any young player. Like honestly I doubt there is even a worse way than that. I would actually prefer a player to train in 1st team with no game play that play with B team in Segunda.
Pedri has not done well after hot start, he is way too young to loan and not fully polished to play in 1st division football. I would wait another year before moving him elsewhere. In LP he is a starter surrounded by some veterans and in a team that play in him. There is no assured playing time elsewhere.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I've spoken that there can be an applicable model to consistently try and stay at this level before.

We have the right coach now in Pimienta and a bigger transfer budget than the majority of the LaLiga2 clubs to maintain a good level development+Results team in that category with signings.

You look at the Barcelona B team from 10/11 to 14/15 that maintained 4 seasons in LaLiga2 (2 top 4 finishes) when LE and Eusebio managed and we developed some great talents with smart signings that went onto good things.

In hindsight we had really good players come through (to be sold with buybacks when they had upside) and made some recruits who could of also made it as squad options (after being sold with buybacks).

La Masia:
Fontas (LaLiga career), Muniesa (Premier League), Bartra (LaLiga), Sergi Gomez, Montoya, Sergi Roberto, Oriol Romeu (Premier League), Thiago (Bayern), JDS (LaLiga career), Rafinha (LaLiga career), Tello (LaLiga/Serie A), Grimaldo (Benfica), Gerard Delafeu (Watford), Xavi Quintilla (Villarreal), Adama Traore (Wolves), Sanabria (Serie A), Sandro (Valladolid), Munir (Sevilla),

Signings:
Jonathan Soriano (Plan B striker), Kiko (Watford), Luis Alberto (Lazio), Denis Suarez (Duh),

When we returned in 17/18 we failed because we made the wrong signings with the wrong coach (Gerard Lopez), then panic signed in Winter poor players.

But now with Pimienta we have the right balance of development and results to develop players well at Barcelona B.

Benefits: Better opposition, better away pitches, Less farmer tackling, Less Non-Eu Visa complications, Better signing's capacity.

I can't imagine developing our top talents in a well run Barcelona B team in Segunda wouldn't be a better option than externally in the same league.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I don't necessarily agree with that. I've spoken that there can be an applicable model to consistently try and stay at this level before.

We have the right coach now in Pimienta and a bigger transfer budget than the majority of the LaLiga2 clubs to maintain a good level development+Results team in that category with signings.

You look at the Barcelona B team from 10/11 to 14/15 that maintained 4 seasons in LaLiga2 (2 top 4 finishes) when LE and Eusebio managed and we developed some great talents with smart signings that went onto good things.

In hindsight we had really good players come through (to be sold with buybacks when they had upside) and made some recruits who could of also made it as squad options (after being sold with buybacks).

First, it isn't just Barca, most of other clubs like Bilbao/Seville/Villarreal etc had a terrible time developing their talents in comparison to 3rd division. On paper it is an interesting theory but not in reality.

La Masia:
Fontas (LaLiga career), Muniesa (Premier League), Bartra (LaLiga), Sergi Gomez, Montoya, Sergi Roberto, Oriol Romeu (Premier League), Thiago (Bayern), JDS (LaLiga career), Rafinha (LaLiga career), Tello (LaLiga/Serie A), Grimaldo (Benfica), Gerard Delafeu (Watford), Xavi Quintilla (Villarreal), Adama Traore (Wolves), Sanabria (Serie A), Sandro (Valladolid), Munir (Sevilla),

Let's look at some names here:

Thiago: He has developed in 3rd division, not Segunda. Like at all. He has played 2 (and called for some games during Pep season with 4th division) with Barca B at 3rd division. In his last year he played 11 games in Barca B and 17 games with 1st team. Segunda had almost zero impact on his development.

Fontas: developed for 2 years with 3rd division too btw. Then he got with Segunda and we overrated him. He didn't have much success as a player.

Muniesa: Our best CB prospect since Pique, some even argued he was even better prospect. Failed to play in better team than Stoke. Didn't start half of games in a single season in 1st division football, he is for sure not a positive example for B team in Segunda. But hard to judge due to his injuries.

Developed 2 years in Segunda after one year in 2nd division, 4 years with Barca as last resort CB. Finally as a developed prospect he managed to be a true first team player in Germany and midtable club in Liga.

Segi Gomez & Montoya: another journey men who had decent career in smaller clubs or average in lower clubs.

And the problem is right there, in Segunda you develop dozen of players for average Liga teams. You get only one end of the bench player like Bartra or ultimate squad player like Roberto.

From 3rd division, we got almost all of our golden generation from Puyol to Thiago. Through almost a decade and half of work.

When in Segunda, coach has to take care about winning in addition to developing players. Munir/Sandro/Deulofeu never really had the chance to develop to their best while having to care about winning in tough competition with no player older than 24

When we returned in 17/18 we failed because we made the wrong signings with the wrong coach (Gerard Lopez), then panic signed in Winter poor players.

But now with Pimienta we have the right balance of development and results to develop players well at Barcelona B.

A quick reminder, Lopez had 2 successful years in even tougher conditions (transfer ban) in which he rebuilt the whole team and lead us to promotion. At this point he had more success in more difficult terms than Pimenta.
In Segunda, he was suddenly exposed as bad coach and left with fans cursing him.
Has this happened before? Yeah with Eusebio himself. After 3 good years he was laughing stock of Barca fans in his last year. Same for Vinyals who has just won us Youth UCL and then his Barca days ended after a trial with Barca B. I mean how would you know Pimienta will be any better?

Benefits: Better opposition, better away pitches, Less farmer tackling, Less Non-Eu Visa complications, Better signing's capacity.

Draw backs: League way too strong to develop players, coach will inevitably has to prioritize winning to keep his job rather than committing a career suicide, trying to develop our players in less winning culture.

BBZ8800

Also, in 2011 or 2014, those were the days before our ban.

We cheated back then with buying all the best talents domestic and international talents.

My point: on average, our youth teams today will be way weaker and we will have less truly good young players.

Our future of La Masia will probably be closer to a level of talents of Puig, Alena and Oriol than to Messi and Iniesta, or even Adama.

Not to mention that today we are losing more domestic talents to oil clubs than in the past.

All in all, a quality of La Masia kids probably won't get nowhere near the quality from 10 years ago.

FinBarcelonafan

Also, in 2011 or 2014, those were the days before our ban.

We cheated back then with buying all the best talents domestic and international talents.

My point: on average, our youth teams today will be way weaker and we will have less truly good young players.

Our future of La Masia will probably be closer to a level of talents of Puig, Alena and Oriol than to Messi and Iniesta, or even Adama.

Not to mention that today we are losing more domestic talents to oil clubs than in the past.

All in all, a quality of La Masia kids probably won't get nowhere near the quality from 10 years ago.

Well the quality has been total crap the past ten years. It's tough to do worse.

Messi983

He was subbed off at HT against Girona.

If there is a coach who has opted for Pedri, that is Pepe Mel. He saw his talent from the first day of the preseason and did not hesitate, despite his age, to give him the stripes to start at UD Las Palmas. That role entitles the Madrid player to shape the man who will be a Bar?a player next season. Against Girona, nothing came to Pedri. He lacked freshness and Mel did not even wait for the second part to leave him in the booth: "He was blurred," he admitted in the press room, although he also took iron from the matter: "Nothing happens. Other times it has given us a lot."

Home of Barca Fans