7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

mark1nhu

A little bit expensive for my taste, but he is an immense player and I have high hopes we is going to shine in Barcelona, so in the end doesn't matter his cost (mainly if you remember we can no longer afford betting on low profile players like Gomes, Alcácer, etc).

Raketa10

I sincerely doubt this will continue next summer. There is no upside to this.

Regarding our deals you must take in to consideration that we got 222mil and than it's much better situation. If we forget about variables which will be paid in tranches trough years Coutinho+Dembele (105+ maybe 120 fixed) could be just around Neymar amount.

So for this financial year it will probably be a zero sum game. Of course that's without Semedo and Paulinho. With those two we spent are around 75 mil but I still hope we will be able to offload Gomes, Arda and Rafinha...

Last edited:
No chance would anyone get Coutinho for 80m in this market.

In the beginning of the summer when we didnt have the neymar money and weren't desperately scrambling to buy players? It's not out of the question.

He's overpriced now because:

a) Barca has money they're desperate to spend on new signings
b) There are 3 days left in the transfer window. That gives Barca 3 days to negotiate, and it gives Liverpool 3 days or less to buy a replacement. Means Barca will be willing to pay more and Liverpool will be far less willing to part with Coutinho.
c) Our midfield sucks. So we're more willing to spend to help improve it.

Basic supply and demand. Our demand for Coutinho is massive, and the supply of players available at this stage of the transfer window to both us and Liverpool is small. As a result, Coutinho is far more expensive than he would normally be.

Zuti

This was a summer window for big spending, and luckily we could spend big. I'm not gonna moan about the pricetags of Coutinho and Dembele, mainly because I think they will both prove to be worth it.

JamDav1982

In the beginning of the summer when we didnt have the neymar money and weren't desperately scrambling to buy players? It's not out of the question.

He's overpriced now because:

a) Barca has money they're desperate to spend on new signings
b) There are 3 days left in the transfer window. That gives Barca 3 days to negotiate, and it gives Liverpool 3 days or less to buy a replacement. Means Barca will be willing to pay more and Liverpool will be far less willing to part with Coutinho.
c) Our midfield sucks. So we're more willing to spend to help improve it.

Basic supply and demand. Our demand for Coutinho is massive, and the supply of players available at this stage of the transfer window to both us and Liverpool is small. As a result, Coutinho is far more expensive than he would normally be.

He never would have gone for that and Liverpool like everyone else would have held off thinking strong possibility Neymar is leaving.

Why didnt Liverpool sign VVD, Lemar etc for cheaper earlier in summer?

He is more expensive than would pay if had good enough squad and wanting to add to it but in this situation it was right to over pay for him and try to be as competitive as possible this season.

mark1nhu

But in all truth even though this last month has soured things a bit I still wish Coutinho well if he does join you.

However this isn't sour grapes but he'll never reach the level of peak Iniesta who he is replacing (but there is no one in world football that can replace him and get to peak Iniesta levels).

If he sorts out his consistency he will be brilliant for you but that is what is missing from his game from turning him from a very good player to a world class player and he does have it in him to be more consistent and be world class, but that is one area he needs to work on.

No one will ever 100% replace Xavi and Iniesta, as you said, but Coutinho/Verrati or Coutinho/Thiago would definitely be the closer possible thing to it.

And I think Coutinho's "consistency problem" can very well be sorted out in a well oiled system like Barça and in a team with other high profile players to carry the responsibility.

runthenwalk

I think Coutinho already is a Barca player.
Coutinho has travelled to Brazil that means the case is finished.
Last few days Liverpool suddenly began to search players as Coutinho'succesor.

Home of Barca Fans