7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

M

MessiCam

We stopped to play in second half (except for the last 15 minutes or so), hard to judge Coutinho's performance based on that. I still think Coutinho can and will adapt to the midfield role next season.
I have seen enough Coutinho games to know that what you seek is not a very good idea. He is a forward.

M

MessiCam

Give him a few games as starting CAM before you judge his ability of playing the role of Iniesta.

CAM and a CM are very different roles. As a CAM Coutinho would be fantastic but where does Messi go then? What happens to Dembélé? What happens to the yet unsigned Griezmann?

M

MessiCam

Yeah wasn’t he playing more as a CM for Liverpool this year anyways?? Pretty much the same exact position as Iniesta lol. With us bu

He played most of his matches on the wing. The problem with Coutinho and being a CM is about his natural attacking instincts and positioning. This was often seen in Liverpool where it basically became a front 4. The same is now happening at Barça when he is deployed in midfield.

Hell, even Klopp said Coutinho picks up the same positions whether playing as a wing or part of a midfield 3. It is not just something to brush off. It’s a serious problem when playing in a team like Barça where positioning and it’s fine tuning is of utmost importance.

George_Costanza

Where does he play when Iniesta is not on the field?

Doesn't mean he is that effective in Iniesta's role. Can Neymar replace Iniesta? Coutinho best position has always been left of a front 3, where he did his best work under both Brendan Rodgers and Klopp. He played a hybrid or left wing 10 and his influence has always been greater from that position. Klopp tried to move him in #8 role but he didn't impress.

GOAT_SUAREZ

Coutinho is the replacement for Iniesta, not Neymar. That said Barca will have a very small roster next year and switch between systems so he will play several positions, CM, CAM, LM and LW

George_Costanza

Coutinho is the replacement for Iniesta, not Neymar. That said Barca will have a very small roster next year and switch between systems so he will play several positions, CM, CAM, LM and LW

Can't wait to see Coutinho in a CM role

5dn.gif

Joan

Doesn't mean he is that effective in Iniesta's role. Can Neymar replace Iniesta? Coutinho best position has always been left of a front 3, where he did his best work under both Brendan Rodgers and Klopp. He played a hybrid or left wing 10 and his influence has always been greater from that position. Klopp tried to move him in #8 role but he didn't impress.

Don't get me wrong, I know that left wing has always been his best position. No debate there.

What I question is if whether we brought him to replace Iniesta or Neymar. Next year we'll have Messi, Suarez, Griezmann and Dembele competing for 3 spots in attack. There is simply no room for him up front.

If our board really wanted him to replace Neymar, would they try to buy another attacker or they'd go for Iniesta's replacement?

It's clear he's meant as Iniesta's successor at the club.

George_Costanza

Don't get me wrong, I know that left wing has always been his best position. No debate there.

What I question is if whether we brought him to replace Iniesta or Neymar. Next year we'll have Messi, Suarez, Griezmann and Dembele competing for 3 spots in attack. There is simply no room for him up front.

If our board really wanted him to replace Neymar, would they try to buy another attacker or they'd go for Iniesta's replacement?

It's clear he's meant as Iniesta's successor at the club.

We were linked with Coutinho before Neymar's departure, that's why many of us and some media outlets saw it as Iniesta's replacement. Doesn't mean he can do Iniesta's job and doesn't mean he can't.

As for Griezmann, he is a good player and will add value to the team but we don't need him and shouldn't be a priority over midfield signings. That's why some here calling for Eriksen as Iniesta's replacement. Coutinho can play front wing role.

Joan

We were linked with Coutinho before Neymar's departure, that's why many of us and some media outlets saw it as Iniesta's replacement. Doesn't mean he can do Iniesta's job and doesn't mean he can't.

As for Griezmann, he is a good player and will add value to the team but we don't need him and shouldn't be a priority over midfield signings. That's why some here calling for Eriksen as Iniesta's replacement. Coutinho can play front wing role.
We talk on two different levels, what we think it should be like and what it's really like (how the board sees it).

But the fact that we're going after Griezmann tells me that they see Coutinho as Iniesta's successor in the first place, not a winger.

Home of Barca Fans