7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Messi983

I do not understand how a player who has spent over 5 years in Europe still doesn't have a EU passport.

Oh well, hopefully he is in the process of getting one and it will come soon.

He probably has EU passport but to not count as non-EU player he needs to have citizenship of (at least one) EU country, which is not the same.

Reading this I think he could actually apply to get British citizenship if he would stay at Liverpool until end of the season (they've signed him on 26th January 2013 so it will be exactly 5 years in three weeks) but he'd have to show intention to stay there because they wouldn't give him nationality if they'd knew he'll leave. And of course, the proces of getting passport could also take more than 6 months after applying.

And with Brexit it's also questionable how things will work for footballers in future. I've read that Bale will count as non-EU player for RM (if he'll still be there in 2019 of course) but not sure if this is true.

And he doesn't meet criteria to become an Italian citizen because he didn't live there long enough and he's not married to an Italian...

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Italy/Articles/Visas-Permits/Citizenship

Unless his parents or grandparents were born in Italy which I doubt as we'd probably already knew about this by now. Even then, he didn't live full 2 years in Italy because he played on loan at Espanyol for 6 months.

So I don't think he's close to get either British or Italian passport and he'll have to live in Spain for 2-3 years before he could get Spanish (or Catalan :p).

Also, from the same article:

A foreigner married to an Italian citizen can apply for Italian citizenship six months after marriage if living in Italy, or three years after marriage if living abroad.

This is why Suarez doesn't count as non EU player anymore if his wife has Italian citizenship.

Last edited:
Match over, back to Coutinho watch.

Paul Joyce:

Jürgen Klopp has failed to offer any reassurances over the future of Philippe Coutinho as Barcelona continue to finalise the offer which they believe will tempt Liverpool into selling.

Liverpool increasingly appear ready to part with the 25-year-old and a fee in excess of £140 million, including a base payment of about £100 million, is likely to see Coutinho granted his wish of moving to the Nou Camp this month.

Klopp’s reluctance to discuss the matter in detail represents a shift in stance from the summer when Liverpool responded to an initial bid of £72 million from Barcelona by stressing that the player was not for sale at any price.

There is not the same resistance at Anfield now, as reflected by Klopp’s refusal to simply state that Coutinho will not be sold.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...utinho-transfer-deal-with-barcelona-h9f7gl3xd

It looks like it's going to happen.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So we are still preparing the offer, which means the negotiations have not even started?

They are slow as a snail.

Liverpool are basically begging us through their mouthpeices to put in a 150m offer and take Coutinho away this month, but Barto can't seem to come up with the cash.

I'm sure he's looking for a way to transfer some money from his offshore account as we speak.

:bartomeu:

Jombi

This will be almost as big as Cesc's return if true. Truly epic. Even though Coutinho hasnt won anything in his career, he has a tenacity that is incredible.

xXKonan

DSuO-hSWsAAcWo1.jpg

Xaviniesta

Bartomeu really is showing no mercy to liverpool fans, taking his time to count the money one by one before he submits a bid.

I cannot wait for Bartomeu's revenge on Nasser and PSG

Home of Barca Fans