7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

xXKonan

It seems going by the General consensus from the English Press and Liverpool insiders is there's a good chance this could happen if we meet Liverpool's demands. It reminds me of the Dembele deal where Dortmund told us what we want and we eventually did.

The ball is in our court now, and it's up Barto and the rest of the board to accept Liverpool's demands or at least make a good reasonable offer they might accept.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Aye a squad they built for most part.

A fat chunk of which they deserve no credit for at all if it comes along (Messi, Aleña, Cucu, Oriol, etc.). Unless renewing our best youth players to new contracts is an achievement which it shouldn't be as standard practice. As for the rest, there've been years of unnecessary huge blunders. We were on top of the world and then came way down in squad quality before finally looking on the cusp of a proper rebuild now.

Much time and suffering could've been saved had it been done better and we wouldn't have had to been in the sorry positions we found ourselves at certain points. What they were given was the best team in history and a winning formula to stick to; no one was asking for a decade of straight CL titles but there was a clear path to follow that we diverged from and we could've done MUCH better given what the starting point of their reign was.

But I'll say this, if we get Griezmann/Coutinho and the team spends the next 4 years -the last of Messi's prime- properly challenging for and preferably winning some CL's, then there'll be no complaints from me.

JamDav1982

A fat chunk of which they deserve no credit for at all if it comes along (Messi, Aleña, Cucu, Oriol, etc.). Unless renewing our best youth players to new contracts is an achievement which it shouldn't be as standard practice. As for the rest, there've been years of unnecessary huge blunders. We were on top of the world and then came way down in squad quality before finally looking on the cusp of a proper rebuild now.

Much time and suffering could've been saved had it been done better and we wouldn't have had to been in the sorry positions we found ourselves at certain points. What they were given was the best team in history and a winning formula to stick to; no one was asking for a decade of straight CL titles but there was a clear path to follow that we diverged from and we could've done MUCH better given what the starting point of their reign was.

But I'll say this, if we get Griezmann/Coutinho and the team spends the next 4 years -the last of Messi's prime- properly challenging for and preferably winning some CL's, then there'll be no complaints from me.

The fat chunk they do deserve credit for if brought the players in.

Rules get changed constantly though.

Every team ever that has been 'top of the world' has come down in quality and been rebuilt and while there has been errors it has been overplayed.

Why would you give credit for younger players to others but not this board?

Some folk complain about every single move going.

dakt

Messi is 30 years old and the last time we did that we ended up with Gomes and Denis who both are nowhere near to ever become starters for Barcelona or any team with CL aspirations.

I'm all for signing a promising midfielder, but when we already have one in Alenya there's no point in signing three more. I want a World Class signing right now. We need quality right now when Messi still got a few years left in the tank. Meanwhile we can let the younger players grow until their time arrives.

The market will remain bonkers for years unless we see a financial crisis again which will make teams not spend like idiots. A talent these days will cost you at least 40m if not more and it's not even guaranteed that he'll become a legitimate great player.

I don't doubt Messi playing on high level for next 3 years. In that period a bunch of promising stars can pop in the market for a way cheaper price. Throwing so much on one player...sure if we can get a pipe shooting gallons of oil per second I wouldn't mind burning some money of Coutinho, but we are still having troubles selling the likes of Arda while keeping them on high budgets. Coutinho is fine player, I just don't see him justifying that price. Snatching promising lads way early, having more options on the bench is personally the way to go, IMO.

Kohe321

If we really do get Griezmann and Coutinho, we won't even really have to worry about this board's stupidity in the market anymore for a while as the squad will be mostly set until the post-Messi era.

Coutinho replaces Rakitic and Griezmann-Suarez. Iniesta, Alba, Busi, and Pique are the next positions to look at but IMO La Masia is bringing us exactly what we need there. I am 100% convinced of the talent level of Aleña/Cucu to make it and replace Iniesta/Alba as long as they continue on their path. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Busi was elite for at least another 4-5 years but even with that we'd have backup mini-Busi in Oriol who really looks like a legit heir. He'll be able to grow under his senior and has a solid chance at succeeding.

The only other transfer we'll have to make is to replace Pique and funnily enough I have solid confidence in Robert for this given he got us Umtiti and is interested in De Ligt long term.

So, in a way, if Bartomeu manages to make these two transfers happen, he has paradoxically safeguarded us against his own incompetence for the next several years.

I like it. :messi:

Last edited:

xXKonan

I had people on my Twitter TL arguing with each other that we should spend the money to bring back Thiago than spend it on Coutinho.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I had people on my Twitter TL arguing with each other that we should spend the money to bring back Thiago than spend it on Coutinho.

Idiots don't realize that certain clubs including us you'd hope, don't sell their best players no matter what unless we want to.

Thiago is happy in Bayern right now and renewed his contract.

Home of Barca Fans