7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

springfield

€135m

Fuck right off, the guys not even worth half of that.

Please focus on Dembele.

Dembele is not the only solution. Barcelona lost Neymar. Neymar needs to be replaced. Before Neymar left, Barcelona needed reinforcement to get better midfield play, this means they still need a quality midfielder. Both should be signed imo, or any other quality player.

BBZ8800

138M pounds is 150M Euros.

People here don't want to pay 150M for Coutinho, but often say: "Stupid board, pay whatever it takes to buy Dembele".
Even if that means 130 or 150M.

Dembele has very, very, very high chances to be the most expensive flop in a football history.
With Coutinho we are at least more or less sure what we will get.

Not to mention problems and personality.

Ronaldinho10

People here don't want to pay 150M for Coutinho, but often say: "Stupid board, pay whatever it takes to buy Dembele".

Dembele has very, very, very high chances to be the most expensive flop in a football history.

I don't think he will be a flop he might not be so good as we might expect in the 1st season and may not live up to our expectations but he is defenatly an invesment for the future and only a fool will doubt dembele's skill. And dont forget we can always sell him later weather or not we will be able to get more then we might pay for him now that is unclear

JohnS

Anyone who has watched Coutinho will see he is a quality player capable of playing and not looking out of place for any team in any league

Messi983

138M pounds is 150M Euros.

With Coutinho we know what we'll get and that is not worth 150M right now and will never be. He could perform better playing alongside Messi as any player would but he is what he is, he won't improve individually much anymore and I doubt he'll ever be among top 3/5 players in the world even if he comes here. I like him and think he would improve our team (but so would a lot of other midfielders we could get a lot cheaper) but I wouldn't pay 150M for him.

With Dembele we don't know that much what we'll get. He could be the most expensive flop like you said or he could become a top 3/5 player in the world in a few years. And that's what we are betting on when willing to pay that high fee.

Another thing is that Liverpool is not willing to sell even at any price. I believe they just don't want to sell to make their statement and we are wasting our time. Dembele on the other hand, Dortmund is prepared to sell for the right money. Yes, we'll have to overpay but at least we have chances to get him so I would focus on him.

BBZ8800

I don't think he will be a flop he might not be so good as we might expect in the 1st season and may not live up to our expectations but he is defenatly an invesment for the future and only a fool will doubt dembele's skill. And dont forget we can always sell him later weather or not we will be able to get more then we might pay for him now that is unclear

I am not doubting Dembele's skills.
BUt I have been watching Barca's since mid 90's and Dembele's type of transfers turn out into a happy ending in 1 out 5 cases roughly.

He will either:
1. be poor to average in first 1-2 seasons and later improve into a good level, but never reach his heights
2. be average in first 1-2 seasons and later turn into an awesome player
3. be a crap and get sold after 2 seasons

A possibility that he will set the world on fire right away and turn into a next Ronaldinho in 2 years is probably around 1%.
More realistic options are that he will be meh/average in the first 2 seasons and later he will either continue to be not good enough or improve.

Imo, what I personally expect from him is that he will be somewhere at a level of Mats.
He will need some time to reach a good level.
And even then, after 2-3-4 years, people won't be fully convinced.

We can always sell him, but if we overpay with 150M, we surely won't get 150M back, but 70-80.
In 2001, we bought a 20-years old Argentinian Saviola.
In a summer of 2001, there was a U20 World Cup in Argentina.
Young Saviola scored 11 goals in 7 matches and broke the all time record of that competition.
Argentina won a World cup, Saviola was named the best player of a tournament and the best scorer in tournament's history.

If we had Barca's forum back then, people would have yelled: come on, stupid board! Buy him! He is a no brainer! You can't miss on him! Look at his talent! We can't lose money and resell value on him.
We will have him banging goals for the next 10-12 years.

We paid him 16M Euros back then, which would be 80-100 in today's market.
Fast forward: Saviola played a few years here, we waited and waited for him to reach heights. He never reached those heights.
He was released for free and loaned 100s of times. We didn't get back any of 100 Millions (in today's worth) invested in him.
And we lost years waiting for him to develop into something.

And before people say in hindsight: he was not as good as Dembele.
Lol.

This is young Saviola who was scoring like crazy on that U20 WC:

Or young Quaresma, aged 18-20 in Sporting:

Imagine him today on Barca's forum.
Wow, BUY this guy! We will have him for 10-15 years!
We can't go wrong on this one.
We sold him after 1 poor season, aged 21, lol.

Or the next Figo, Simao Sabrosa, paid 11M Euros in 1999', which was again like 70-80M in today's market. Aged 20.

Or another Brasilian Figo, Geovanni Deiberson, aged 21, paid 18M Euros in 2001, which is again 80-100M in today's market.

I mean, yes, I would love to have both Coutinho and Dembele.
But this is beyond crazy, if people think that a 130M or 150M for Dembele, with 1 good season behind him is a good and safe deal.

We are a crap and in dark days, so I would like to see him here and risk with him.
But imo, with him, there is like 80% of chances that he will fail, end as average or that he will reach a questionable level of quality, like Mats.
Chances that he will turn into a next Ronaldinho are very small.
And even if will do that, we will wait him for 2-3 seasons.
So, either way, there won't be too much immidiate world class impact from him.

And then again, people post over and over how 130 or 150M for Coutinho is too much, but how we should do WHATEVER IT TAKES (even 150M) to bring a lottery ticket Dembele here.

Interesting.

With Dembele we don't know that much what we'll get. He could be the most expensive flop like you said or he could become a top 3/5 player in the world in a few years. And that's what we are betting on when willing to pay that high fee.

We are playing a lot of: what he might be-games in the last few years.
How many: he could be our starter for the next 10 years, have you heard already?

RM is buying potentials, like Isco, Kovacic, Asensio and others, but for 15-30M.
When we are buying potentials, we pay 150M.

Sounds good, as always.

Last edited:
If a player wants to leave he should not be kept against his will. Why would they want to keep an unhappy player anyway? It doesn't suddenly make them one of the big clubs. All it will do is put players off joining Liverpool who were previously seen as a good stepping stone club.

What makes you a big club (I presume you think Barca are a big club) winning 5 EC/CL titles? or perhaps winning 24 domestic league titles in a 2 team league? Sigh!

Im not claiming Liverpool are bigger or smaller than Barca, but to label us as a stepping stone club is rather wide of the mark. Or perhaps you regard Barca of 10 years ago to be a stepping stone club to Liverpool when we were buying up all your best youth talent. In fact they were beating down the door to get to us, so Perhaps "Just because you make demands and deadlines over a transfer doesn't make you a big club" is a more apt way of looking at it.

Zuti

What makes you a big club (I presume you think Barca are a big club) winning 5 EC/CL titles? or perhaps winning 24 domestic league titles in a 2 team league? Sigh!

Im not claiming Liverpool are bigger or smaller than Barca, but to label us as a stepping stone club is rather wide of the mark. Or perhaps you regard Barca of 10 years ago to be a stepping stone club to Liverpool when we were buying up all your best youth talent. In fact they were beating down the door to get to us, so Perhaps "Just because you make demands and deadlines over a transfer doesn't make you a big club" is a more apt way of looking at it.

Hold your horses, no need to get salty, Liverpool is a big club history and legacy wise, noone is denying that, so is Barca, but in the here and now Barca is bigger, I don't think that even a LFC fan can deny that, Coutinho is kind of proof of that , he wants to leave LFC to play at Barca, as would proly all of your players if they were given the chance.. Also, don't buy everything you read in the media, most of it is bullshit.

Home of Barca Fans