6 - Carles Alena

ASordidGod

I don't see it all with him if I'm honest. Even accounting for his youth he's done nothing that makes me think he's got the potential to make it here. Should be loaned out or sold with a buy back. There's too many players for too few minutes as it is. I mean, what kind of midfielder even is he? What's his stand out attributes? He doesn't look to be a great goal scorer, isn't brave/imaginative to be a creator, and lacks the touch, awareness and press resitance to play a slightly deep role. Hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't think he's good enough/will ever be good enough.

JohnN

Quiet honestly, Alena was way better than Sergi against Atletic. It seems all the blame has fallen on him though.
No Tackle, he shouldn't go. Valverde should be sacked and take Rakitic with him.
Alena should stay here and have equal opportunities. Sergi is less talented but still managed to have a role.

fergus90

It’s not that surprising he’s left out considering there’s Busquets,De Jong, Roberto, Arthur, Rakitic and Vidal all available. Hardly a slew of injuries keeping him out.

I don’t think people are annoyed at Aleñá not being picked but more the double standards that Valverde sets for some players to have awful games and still play 50 times a season. Where as one half and someone is discarded.

I’m not totally sold on Aleñá, I think he could be a good squad option at best but he needs to develop his game and also be on a team where he can play regularly with a coach willing to try and improve his game.

He’s at the age now where he needs minutes and experience on a football pitch, think he’d of benefited from being loaned out. At least he would be guaranteed game time.

Calidad

I think it’s shortsighted wanting to get rid of everyone who doesn’t appear to be a star or future star. If the board hace some modicum or sense Alena will be on a low wage with a decent length of contract.

A squad doesn’t need to have world class players in every position. That isn’t viable from a practical or financial perspective.

By all means move on a Rakitic - a high earner who is now not offering enough, and nor will that change with his age. So if a decent offer comes in, he should be sold.

Alena however is an academy product - which yes, should account for something, and has shown signs of ability. He’s young and perfectly capable of improving too. So on a low wage, he’s a good squad player to have around. If a club were to put a good offer in for him, then sure, it should be considered, but I don’t see why the club should be actively looking to get rid.

ASordidGod

I think it’s shortsighted wanting to get rid of everyone who doesn’t appear to be a star or future star. If the board hace some modicum or sense Alena will be on a low wage with a decent length of contract.

A squad doesn’t need to have world class players in every position. That isn’t viable from a practical or financial perspective.

By all means move on a Rakitic - a high earner who is now not offering enough, and nor will that change with his age. So if a decent offer comes in, he should be sold.

Alena however is an academy product - which yes, should account for something, and has shown signs of ability. He’s young and perfectly capable of improving too. So on a low wage, he’s a good squad player to have around. If a club were to put a good offer in for him, then sure, it should be considered, but I don’t see why the club should be actively looking to get rid.

I agree to an extent. However the issue with Alena, at least for me, is that he's not good enough as it is to warrant extended game time, and with only limited minutes it's almost a certainty that he never will be. He needs games, hence a loan or buy back.

xXKonan

I don't think he will be starter material here but I still think there's a good player there, he just needs to play.

He won't get that here even if Rakitic leaves as There would still be Arthur, FDJ, Vidal, and Roberto in front of him in regards to the CM spots. Alena is an Attacking CM, but I suspect Valverde will use Arthur/FDJ on the left CM while Roberto/Vidal will be on the RCM spot and those two as workhorses and perhaps the Direct CMs as well.

Puig will suffer the same fate I bet.

soul24rage

I still don't understand why both Alena and Puig didn't go on loan this season.

Even if we do sell Rakitic, there's still a lot of CMs in the squad.

Even Kubo could get more La Liga experience than both of them by the end of this season.

They are both talented enough to play La Liga matches week in week out imo.

xXKonan

I still don't understand why both Alena and Puig didn't go on loan this season.

Even if we do sell Rakitic, there's still a lot of CMs in the squad.

Even Kubo could get more La Liga experience than both of them by the end of this season.

They are both talented enough to play La Liga matches week in week out imo.
I admire Alena's willingness to fight but with the likes of FDJ, Arthur, Vidal, Roberto in front of you even if Rakitic leaves he's fighting a battle he isn't going to win.

I could understand if we had the likes of Denis, Arda, Gomes as his competition as the backup to the likes of Rakitic and Iniesta, but those days are long gone.

Porque

Alenya starting in midfield for the new generation Spain U21. :rockon:

EDx3tppX4AAY5sP

Big Barca presence in the lineup.

La Masia is dead, Long live La Masia.

xXKonan

[tw]1171184232733057025[/tw]

According to El Pelotazo, Alena was close to being loaned to Real Betis but it never happened.

Home of Barca Fans