4 - Ronald Araújo

Porque

We could opt for de Jong but we do not have the necessary midfield talent to replace him.

I think it is a case that we lose even with our strongest lineup.

I hope I am wrong. It is what it is.

behindbrowneyes

We could opt for de Jong but we do not have the necessary midfield talent to replace him.

I think it is a case that we lose even with our strongest lineup.

I hope I am wrong. It is what it is.

You lose too much and don't win enough by playing De Jong as CB. He struggled a lot with positioning against Betis (although we gotta admit that he was thrown into the game and he didn't play as CB for some time). I'd rather start Mingueza or Umtiti than losing FDJ in midfield.

Messi983

Defense will be vulnerable regardless of who will play there. We shouldn't also negatively impact the midifeld and potentially attack by playing FDJ in the backline imo.

mc_lovin

Frenkie in midfield is Neymars direct opponent as well, which is comforting. If we manage to play it smart our defense hopefully doesnt impact the game too much.

Bobo32

You lose too much and don't win enough by playing De Jong as CB. He struggled a lot with positioning against Betis (although we gotta admit that he was thrown into the game and he didn't play as CB for some time). I'd rather start Mingueza or Umtiti than losing FDJ in midfield.
I am for De Jong as a CB in the long run, despite him playing very well as a CM lately. But he has not really shown himself to be able to play CB yet, defensively. It would be very daring to put him there against PSG.
I think he lacks some very basic defensive sense at the moment, but he would no doubt also bring many positive things as a CB, most notably increased press resistance from the back which might be very important against them.

If Koeman decided to put him there, and play Busquets-Puig-Roberto on the midfield (and Pedri on attack), I would be all for it, but I probably wouldn't have the balls to do it myself.

Porque

I can see Koeman opting to start Frenkie in CB (Busi-Pjanic-Pedri) midfield then switching de Jong to midfield for Umtiti/Lenglet/Mingueza if we need more control there.

Definitely agree we will lose too much with de Jong not in midfield against an opponent like PSG. But from what I see PSG mid and defence is also kind of weak bar Verratti and the gala attack. So we may well win control of it even without de Jong as Messi (and Griezmann to an extent) will be extra men there at times.

Last edited:

Windhook

Unless we have someone better in his position, I'm completely against moving De Jong back. Leaves a giant hole in midfield.

Havesaks

I am for De Jong as a CB in the long run, despite him playing very well as a CM lately. But he has not really shown himself to be able to play CB yet, defensively. It would be very daring to put him there against PSG.
I think he lacks some very basic defensive sense at the moment, but he would no doubt also bring many positive things as a CB, most notably increased press resistance from the back which might be very important against them.

If Koeman decided to put him there, and play Busquets-Puig-Roberto on the midfield (and Pedri on attack), I would be all for it, but I probably wouldn't have the balls to do it myself.

What a joke. Frenkie as CB.

JamDav1982

Yet another post based on getting Puig into team.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I can see Koeman opting to start Frenkie in CB (Busi-Pjanic-Pedri) midfield then switching de Jong to midfield for Umtiti/Lenglet/Mingueza if we need more control there.

Definitely agree we will lose too much with de Jong not in midfield against an opponent like PSG. But from what I see PSG mid and defence is also kind of weak bar Verratti and the gala attack. So we may well win control of it even without de Jong as Messi (and Griezmann to an extent) will be extra men there at times.

We better not... see below.

True. We can't go into match with Pedri, Busi and Pjanic in the middle. That's even bigger joke than Lenglet and Umtiti.

behindbrowneyes

Although Ronald Araujo is going to be out for 3 weeks due to a sprain, the player wants to take a risk and be able to play in next week’s game against PSG.
@RogerTorello
#FCB

He already did that against Juve in October and got injured more severely. He'd rather recover well, rest at least 3 weeks and be ready for the return leg.

Home of Barca Fans