33 - Pau Cubarsí

Richard.H

This kid has stood his ground, at arguably the most pressure position in Barca, against PSG in a CL KO stage away....

It's mighty impressive to me. He might truly be another Pique or even Puyol in the making. Not the same type of player I know, but the composure and talent level are similar.

KingLeo10

La Masia is the best talent factory in the world.

One of the reasons I don't take umbrage when someone wants to put Johan Cruyff as the greatest figure in football history.

CL 3-peat destroying everybody in path, leader of monster Ajax and Dutch side, won Barcelona's first CL as manager. 4 straight LLs. Total football. La Masia.

khaled_a_d

Actually didn't like his performance today tbh, games like this I would have preferred Christensen, but then again we have no CDM.

serghei

Actually didn't like his performance today tbh, games like this I would have preferred Christensen, but then again we have no CDM.

I think the praise is over the top also, leaving aside his age. He had many moments where he put others under pressure in the 2nd half. He got away with those mostly by the quality of those around him to get out of danger.

I think him and Sergi made a mess in their 2nd goal also, but it happens, PSG's best action of the game, the only elite one.

jamrock

He's was very good,he stepped out of defense a few times too many and left space behind which could have been exploited,he will have to work on that.

But regardless of age he was good, better than cancelo, but not as good as the other two.

Andresito

Staff member
His performance was good, not perfect but a performance you'd take any day of the week against a side like PSG.

If you add his age into the mix, it of course gets a lot more impressive. 17 year old should be more mistake prone and lose concentration more often, but Cuba is very composed.

Loki

He was the youngest defender in a CL QF ever. Of course he won't play a perfect game against PSG. The experience he and Yamal are getting right now are priceless. Other players need 3-4 years to get that experience Cubarsi and Yamal are getting this season alone. They are on the fast lane and with 19-20 they will play these games already like seniors with ton of experience.

Last edited:

Temptation

Mediocre performance. You could clearly see the nerves and lack of experience at several points in the game. Him and Cancelo had a tough time against Dembele like I predicted.

Will be a big learning experience for him.

companyofcules

For me MOTM given he played with Cancelo who was just giving free bals and wining no contest against the wingers.
This was also the side that had Rapinha while Yamal was usually defending too.
I don't want to take credit from Kounde, the but the kid was a bit home alone against some dangerous players and did his job.

companyofcules

I think the praise is over the top also, leaving aside his age. He had many moments where he put others under pressure in the 2nd half. He got away with those mostly by the quality of those around him to get out of danger.

I think him and Sergi made a mess in their 2nd goal also, but it happens, PSG's best action of the game, the only elite one.
What mess did Cubarsi in the second goal? Please describe the goal? FDJ, Cancelo were screening, both were bypassed by a great play and Roberto failed to hinder the intruder while Cubarsi needed to shift direction and make a clean tackle in the box to save the situation.
He had no time to do that! Maybe he was slow but he wasn't the one to make any mistake.
How that was worse than Aruajo passing the ball in the middle of the box that Roberto failed to control and serve it to Dembele?
Again we can excuse Aruajo for being a fast ball but ROBERTO not.
From the first minutes I said Xavi made 2 huge blunders with Csncelo and Roberto.
The whole Cancelo disaster is hard to track for most fans, but Roberto gave PSG 2 huge opportunities.
Shifting the blame on the kid and saying he was saved by Aruajo, Cancelo is dishonest. LOL How? Cubarsi saved both Aruajo and Cancelo in many plays.
Only Kounde made a game that was arguably better from the whole team.
Of course he is not perfect and he can flop, but for this game for me he was not to blame.

jamrock

Mediocre performance. You could clearly see the nerves and lack of experience at several points in the game. Him and Cancelo had a tough time against Dembele like I predicted.

Will be a big learning experience for him.

Bro you're just salty because at 17 he's already better than VVD and pocketing Mbappe, he didn't have any issues with Dembele yesterday, Dembele best moments was when he switched to the other side.

Curbarsi vs Mbappe yesterday.

9 of 12 duels one.
Stopped Mbappe on 3/4 dribbles
0 shots in target.

Dembele stat line is probably not too dissimilar.

At 17 away from home in the CL

companyofcules

. He got away with those mostly by the quality of those around him to get out of danger.
The mistake of positioning was when Barcola was blocked by Araujo. There you are right, he left a space to press forward. So that is his biggest mistake in the game and if you refere to that is correct.

Home of Barca Fans