3 - Gerard Pique

Phatroonaldo

Pique has been very consistent for 2-3 years now and suddenly he makes a mistake in a game with minimal consequences and he should be a ball-boy? You think Puyol has never made a mistake?

Mascherano gave away a penalty against Real sociedad, maybe he should be dopped too?

This kind of reactionary response to a game is never clever.

I am not just talking about this game. Do you think Pique has been anywhere near consistent this season?

Man utd don't have any targetman that can give us trouble at headers. Their threat is chicharito, who is fast as hell. Think about it, Pique has been troubled by every pacey player he has played this season. And Masch has been awesome in these past few months, he's far pacier than Pique and can make last ditch challenges as well. Do you really see a reason to play an inconsistent defender who is troubled by pace against a team who's main threat is pace and counter attack? Should our team selection be based on star name or merit? If you believe in selection by merit then you should have no complaints at all.

Now, please counter these arguments before you think I'm just fishing for reactions.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Pique is a great player but he's still very immature. I fear the influence that him and Cesc will have on each other, I've seen it before when lifelong friends play on the same team, it usually leads to plenty of parties.

I'm not worried about him in the CL final though, he typically knows when he has to focus.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
dont worry Nolan, Shakira will keep them in line ...

oh wait ....

shhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiitttttttt!!!!

Andrew M

I am not just talking about this game. Do you think Pique has been anywhere near consistent this season?

Man utd don't have any targetman that can give us trouble at headers. Their threat is chicharito, who is fast as hell. Think about it, Pique has been troubled by every pacey player he has played this season. And Masch has been awesome in these past few months, he's far pacier than Pique and can make last ditch challenges as well. Do you really see a reason to play an inconsistent defender who is troubled by pace against a team who's main threat is pace and counter attack? Should our team selection be based on star name or merit? If you believe in selection by merit then you should have no complaints at all.

Now, please counter these arguments before you think I'm just fishing for reactions.

How can you say Pique is slow? Please, somebody, name a central defender MUCH faster than Gerard Pique. Hell, to look even look half-way decent in a Barca defence requires lightning pace. To assess Pique's merits on his pace is a nonissue as far as I'm concerned. And did you watch Manchester Utd humiliate AC Milan at the San Siro earlier this season? Did you happen to see Rooney score two headers against Thiago Silva and Nesta, a defensive partnership that devout watchers of Calcio would claim to be the best in the world? How can that be NO threat?

Yes, Masch has been great cover these past few months, but Puyol and Pique is a proven success - a World Cup and treble winning partnership.

I'd also like to add that our defence has been a game of musical chairs in 2011. Ask yourself who has been the ONE constant at CB? That's right, Gerard fucking Pique. Where are we? Copa finalists, League winners, Cl finalists (possible winners).

People are acting right now as if Puyol is incapable of mistake. Does no one remember the last game Puyol played before his injury? Abidal and Puyol started and Barca looked ragged at the back. Puyol came off, Pique came on, and all was well. I'd say Abidal has been Barca's best CB this year, but Pique has not been less than solid.

Aasim

Bumbleman
It's concerning. He hasn't been on form this season and we are approaching a huge game. Hopefully Puyol sorts him out in the final, just like Rome.

Andrew M

Pique is a great player but he's still very immature. I fear the influence that him and Cesc will have on each other, I've seen it before when lifelong friends play on the same team, it usually leads to plenty of parties.

I'm not worried about him in the CL final though, he typically knows when he has to focus.

Do you suggest Barca impose a ban on lifelong friendship?

Superfly

Banned

So a center-back who can keep up with Ronaldo, arguably one of the fastest men on the pitch, is slow?

Milla189

Do you really see a reason to play an inconsistent defender who is troubled by pace against a team who's main threat is pace and counter attack?

Are you seriously suggesting to not play Piqué at the CL final?

Really? Bye-bye, CL.

Yes, he made a very bad call today. Don't know what the hell happened. But benching him for that? Don't be ridiculous.

SwiftGuyver

he is undoubtably one of the best centre backs in the world...when Puyol is by his side...

unfortunately when Carles isn't there he often panics...

Galning

It's concerning. He hasn't been on form this season and we are approaching a huge game. Hopefully Puyol sorts him out in the final, just like Rome.

s4q3jc.gif

e28makaveli

Pique needs that to be piquenbauer! Don't think he's strong enough on his own without a leader.

:lol::lol: Puyol is like Rambo. Such a cool dude. His influence and the respect he gets is very visible. Pique will be fine in the CL finals. One bad mistake is not enough reason to bench him. If so, Villa should be sold no? Hernandez has nothing against Pique. He is no CR7. All he needs to do is stay clear of Shakira the night before CL finals.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans