3 - Gerard Pique

khaled_a_d

The board will unfortunately politicize the clasico, so I dont mind him speaking before.

I am a bit late for all the extension talk, but I dont think Pique will overstay his welcome. So I am not worried at all, he could have just signed a contract till 2030 for all I care. He belongs in the same category as Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol. I am more worried about Busquets somehow.

Busquets will do like Pique, he has a post career aspirations with the club (widely considered a future Barca coach) and he won't sacrifice his relationship with the club for couple of extra years.

Gnidrologist

So Pique was butthurt because they removed the barbequee coach, who let everyone get loose, unfit and unfocused. These old players with lot of titles should go. They will never win another title with this attitude. That much is clear.

Richard.H

Sorry, but he's a clown that makes sense from time to time. With his personality and mentality, a few wrong turns circa 2008 and he has the career of Marc Bartra. The leaders of our defense were Puyol and then Mascherano.

The problem with him is he needs a CB leader next to him to straighten him out. He's not a leader himself. He's completely different than Ramos. Pique is a clown who constantly needs to be straightened out at the back. Who was here to do that after 2016? Iniesta? Messi? :lol:

behindbrowneyes

So Pique was butthurt because they removed the barbequee coach, who let everyone get loose, unfit and unfocused. These old players with lot of titles should go. They will never win another title with this attitude. That much is clear.

It's taken out of context. He just said more or less that he didn't understand it when they fired Valverde, but later in the interview he also admitted that they neglected training and humility is necessary as there are better teams in Europe. He praised Koeman for using a direct way of communication and the dose of work that has increased.

Players know that they need to work harder to be successful again.

Gnidrologist

He's too old to have "leader" forced upon him, unless that leader is even older than him, which would be shit deal for Barca. We need young, fast athletic CBs, not "old leaders". Pique should be pushed to reserves by the new coach. Cowman will probably not be the one to do that.

Gnidrologist

It's taken out of context. He just said more or less that he didn't understand it when they fired Valverde, but later in the interview he also admitted that they neglected training and humility is necessary as there are better teams in Europe. He praised Koeman for using a direct way of communication and the dose of work that has increased.

If that's so, it's nice. It has been absolutely clear that Barca was loosing matches to top European teams because they were less fit than their adversaries. I think even our old guys team could've done better, IF they were actually drilled like soldiers. They were enjoying BBQs instead.

Messigician

He never said they neglected training

BarcaOG

Banned
him renewing is a blow to the team. hes not a dependable defender when it matters and he should have resigned after the 8-2.

the board wanting to renew all the veterans after several years of CL disasters is the clearest indication that this club has no vision and no future

serghei

The problem with him is he needs a CB leader next to him to straighten him out. He's not a leader himself. He's completely different than Ramos. Pique is a clown who constantly needs to be straightened out at the back. Who was here to do that after 2016? Iniesta? Messi? :lol:

That by definition puts him bellow guys like Puyol, Mascherano, Ramos, even Pepe who are/were defense generals.

I know what you say, Ramos really matured with age. Pique got even more clownish. That's the difference. Back in 2009-2012 I saw them similarly, because Pep and Puyol got Pique in check. But since Pep left and this coincided with Puyol retiring, Pique got worse, Ramos got better. At this point, Ramos is a level ahead. Career wise, he's ahead as well. Pretty much a better player, and that's because he's a way more professional athlete.

Also, what you say is why I think there was a risk he would've ended like Bartra, and he's lucky he didn't. At United he was pretty much done. Pep saved his career.

Last edited:

olivis

TIL Pique is pretty underrated.

Pique over his career has always been overrated, but now everyone rightly calls him out for his shit.

Remember people used to try and compare him to Franz Beckenbauer?

No kidding. Actually happened. Franz Beckenbauer.
Piquenbauer he was called. Hilarious.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans