21 - Frenkie de Jong

Kul_z

At this point, its the best we totally dismantle our team and sell everyone who has some value. Or maybe finally appoint a quality manager. Oh, we dont do that here

kush

De Jong is nothing like rice who's shown he's a excellent player for multiple years now in different teams.

You swap them both, put de Jong in that arsenal team now, he'll look excellent, you take rice and put him in this Barcelona team right now the team improves significantly.

That's the difference between them both, one needs the system to be perfect to impact it, the other does not.

And don't let one off season at Chelsea,who are even worse than us right now, let us forget how good Moises is.

As it relates to Enzo he does more than bring the system together without impacting it, he plays with balls and heart, did we see him for Argentina showing up on the biggest stage in the world multiple times, when his team needed him?

He has more character in one of his foot, than de jong has shown to have in his entire body.

I've always said he's a good player, but people need to stop making excuses for him, as a CM what does he excel at? Carrying the ball?.

He's average defensively due to his poor positional scene and lack of character.

He doesn't create that much.

He can't control the pace of a game at the highest level.

What is he great at,. As supposedly the best CM in the world, a rolls Royce player.

Sell him get our money back, he can find a perfect system that suits him.

Enzo is also playing for a mid table side right now. So Im not sure what point you're making.

Selling our only mid in his prime is not a good strategy. They need to bring in a proper holding mid. And everyone has known it for 5+ years.

Raketa10

Frenkie de Excuses. The more you read this forum the more you find reasons why he is not performing well.

1. bad managers
2. wrong formation
3. bad teammates
4. bad tactics
5. wrong position on the field

So to summarize this up. To this day no one knows what is his best position. He is not a pure DM since he is garbage in defense,, he is definitely not a pivot, he is not interior since he is incapable to give that last pass or regularly score goals. So is he box to box than? Nah, box to box player is someone who excels in both directions but Frenkie does not excel neither in defense nor attack. So WTF is he? A second DM who needs a strong DM next to him??? If that's the case than he can not be worth that much!

I think it's time that we accept the fact that Frenkie is just a good player and nothing more than that. Furthermore, it's clear from the moon that his salary is way higher than he deserves.

Temptation

Frenkie de Excuses. The more you read this forum the more you find reasons why he is not performing well.

1. bad managers
2. wrong formation
3. bad teammates
4. bad tactics

So to summarize this up. To this day no one knows what is his best position. He is not a pure DM since he is garbage in defense,, he is definitely not a pivot, he is not interior since he is incapable to give that last pass or regularly score goals. So is he box to box than? Nah, box to box player is someone who excels in both directions but Frenkie does not excel neither in defense nor attack. So WTF is he? A second DM who needs a strong DM next to him??? If that's the case than he can not be worth that much!

I think it's time that we accept the fact that Frenkie is just a good player and nothing more than that. Furthermore, it's clear from the moon that his salary is way higher than he deserves.
Reminds me a bit of Pogba and United.

Remember how his acolytes on Redcafe constantly gave excuses? It was everything and everyone that was the problem and not him. It was always "United are unable to accomodate Pogba and get the best outta him"........

Neeraj

Sell him and do what with that money? Blow it on more garbage? Every single midfielder here looks poor or underwhelming right now. Pedri, Gavi, Gundogan, etc....who has looked exceptional all season? Nobody. Gundogan and FDJ being top players, have some very good games and some poor games, but in general, nobody looks good.

If you had never seen Gundogan before bcn, would you think he was the captain and one of City's most important players? Absolutely not.

In terms of quality, FDJ has a lot of it. He needs to do more in attach by way of goals and impact on the game, yes, but I think a good coach can influence this a lot - having patterns of play and telling him what his role needs to be. We don't have to build a team around him but with a good coach we can get a lot more out of him than we can out of the other garbage we have in the squad.

If we sell him then what? Buy more garbage players? The only instance of a sale I would be okay with is if we decided that the club needs a total reset, and that we were going to go FULL ECO mode, play with ONLY kids/free agents for a few years, sell top assets and try and stay in 2nd place in La Liga and then get back to being a big club once the Camo Nou is done. Right now, we have a neither here neither there strategy. We can't go out and buy the big names, but then nor do we save money. We pull levers for a shit Qatar level manager and blow it on garbage players. Even if we were to get ONE or TWO expensive players, what would that change in this team without a full reset?

jamrock

Gundogan has looked class every since he settled in.

Gavi looked good whenever he was played as an actual Midfielder.

Pedri is just coming back from a long term injury.

De Jong as been here 4-5 years, is at his physical peak and you're never sure what you'll get from him.

He can't score, cant assist, can't defend, can't control a game.

Needs a water carrier beside him in a double pivot in order to play his best, he's basically pirlo, super super light.

Only thing you can be sure of is that is fan will make excuses for him.

"He was the best player from minute 91-93 on the park" kinda BS

vegitot

Reminds me a bit of Pogba and United.

Remember how his acolytes on Redcafe constantly gave excuses? It was everything and everyone that was the problem and not him. It was always "United are unable to accomodate Pogba and get the best outta him"........
Difference is Pogba is a clown, Frenkie isn't.

Though your point is quite spot on.

Birdy

1. bad managers
2. wrong formation
3. bad teammates
4. bad tactics

Let's face the truth. He has been a liability for 3.5 years until Xavi switched to a double pivot in Jan. 2023 (with an exception of a few months under Koeman, see below)
Before that he was out of position and bad either as a pivot or as an interior.

After the system change, he found his footing and had some good games.
But he is a player of very particular traits: he won't play the ball one touch, he won't see angles to progress the play, and many other stuff CDMs do.
He is basically a very reliable ball carrier who rarely gets dispossessed. When you want someone to carry from deep without losing the ball, you give it to him.
I still think he played his best games under Koeman as a libero because that's exactly the skill needed at the back in high-press situations.
See ETH's interview about his position from some years back, it's very illuminating

Is that enough for a Barca md? Absolutely not.
For me, the biggest problem is his obscene wages that he refused time and time again to reduce.
Buddy, you are not a 20m yr or even 18m yr player.
IF you don't like getting paid according to what you show on the pitch and within the wage structure, GTFO to some EPL club

khaled_a_d

G. Romero said that the news came from his camp, and tbh it makes sense.
The first one to report it was a guy close to his agent, then Relevo who aren't by any mean close to the board and fairly legit. They aren't the board mouth piece.
News for past 4 months was about Araujo and there was clear campaign about his sale.

IMO, board wants to renew Frenkie, defer some salary and slash those amortization while make a sale with big profit like Araujo.
But at the end, the trap of 2026 doesn't give us much option. Half of the core players in this team has a contract till 2026 (Araujo, Christensen, Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie, Lamine along Gundogan, Lewa and Pena) and the club will have to make renewal with them during summer or put them in the market.

For me it seems a move from his agent to force the board to make a better offer while inviting other clubs to make better offers.

fergus90

I think he is a world class player but his attributes that make him world class only are impactful when the rest of the machine is oiled.

He like any player on this planet has his faults too of course. If the club gets rid of him I hope they resist the urge to get a similar profile and go for a Tchouameni type player. Who’s not only physical but has fantastic technical ability.

Something that Barca so badly lack.

Home of Barca Fans