21 - Frenkie de Jong

Havesaks

if those are highligths in his 90 minute match, except that probably goal saving tackle, average performance, juve didnt press alot, he had his time on the ball

Sergio has played games where he was absolutely invisible and still man of the match in big ties. Frenkie is a clever player, who can dominate games without being good in the obvious way. that said, i didn't watch the game.

VN10

if those are highligths in his 90 minute match, except that probably goal saving tackle, nothing special, juve didnt press alot, he had his time on the ball

If you didn't watch the game, it's probalby better to shut it and atleast value Allegri's opinion.
It was a good performance by De Jong, in all aspects of the game.

Campos

"Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is"......

Everything Frenkie does looks so simple. Those highlights doesn't do him justice.
He was the man of the match.

He, De Ligt, vd Beek and Neres were fantastic.

BarçaBarça

If you didn't watch the game, it's probalby better to shut it and atleast value Allegri's opinion.
It was a good performance by De Jong, in all aspects of the game.

Except at the goal where he didn't follow Ronaldo all the way and let him run passed him very easily, leading directly to the goal. Otherwise great game.

VN10

Except at the goal where he didn't follow Ronaldo all the way and let him run passed him very easily, leading directly to the goal. Otherwise great game.

Agreed, he had a part in that goal.

But I don't agree that he is the main reason for it. Communication among the back line/midfield as well as Veltman's (who else) terrible pass through the centre of the pitch - while Frenkie and Donny were positioning offensively already - were more direct causes that lead to the goal. But yeah, Frenkie definately had his part in it.

Tazim

Daley Blind shouldve followed him imo.. anyway what a performance!! cant wait to see him at Barca..

Xavinho

[tw]1116085643510206464[/tw]

Frenkie de Jong vs. Juventus<br><br>"Frenkie de Jong is the real source of Ajax's game. We tried to control him with Bentancur, but when he understood that, he moved deeper and the forwards had to work hard. He played very well." - Massimiliano Allegri

It’s kind of strange you still see people insisting he’s only a DM, and will be Busi’s replacement. I’m sure he can play that role but it seems like a waste of his abilities.

Havesaks

He has great defensive abilities as well as offensive abilities, and sometimes it looks like his best offensive weapon shines brightest when playing deeper on the pitch, and has more space to run through lines and players, it was even more effective when he played false CB in ajax. The closer he gets to the opposite goal the narrower and less space he has, and he isn't a player who operates well under those circumstances, and I don't think its about nurturing his skills, its just not in his abilities unlike players like arthur, silva, iniesta, xavi etc. He could do well as HCM*, but thats only if we play like ajax, with real wingers, width and quicker and younger players. But that won't happen anytime soon, and it isn't valverdes fault, but we just don't have the players for it.

I still think he will get playing time as HCM, but his skills are best displayed when he can roome and has freedom and dictate the game, and that he can best as DM as its now. When Alena has developed better defensive awareness, i really think arthur-frenkie-alena could be a possible lineup with dembel-jovic-messi in front. But would also mean Umtiti>Lenglet, because lenglet will be ripped into pieces when covering more ground and playing more freely and openly football.

I still hope to see Dembele on Right someday soon, semedo playing the back, and Frenkie would fit well as HCM in that combination.
Something like:
Malcom-Jovic-Dembele
Eriksen-Sergio-Frenkie
Alba-Titi-Pique-Semedo
(if messi doesn't extend his contract). As good as Messi is he really does provide a bunch of problems as well with his hybrid role

Last edited:

fergus90

He's really getting props in England right now. BT Sport were marvelling at him last night and there was a feature about him on BBC sport this week.

[video]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47859574[/video]

Last edited:

Raketa10

He has great defensive abilities as well as offensive abilities, and sometimes it looks like his best offensive weapon shines brightest when playing deeper on the pitch, and has more space to run through lines and players, it was even more effective when he played false CB in ajax. The closer he gets to the opposite goal the narrower and less space he has, and he isn't a player who operates well under those circumstances, and I don't think its about nurturing his skills, its just not in his abilities unlike players like arthur, silva, iniesta, xavi etc. He could do well as HCM*, but thats only if we play like ajax, with real wingers, width and quicker and younger players. But that won't happen anytime soon, and it isn't valverdes fault, but we just don't have the players for it.

I still think he will get playing time as HCM, but his skills are best displayed when he can roome and has freedom and dictate the game, and that he can best as DM as its now. When Alena has developed better defensive awareness, i really think arthur-frenkie-alena could be a possible lineup with dembel-jovic-messi in front. But would also mean Umtiti>Lenglet, because lenglet will be ripped into pieces when covering more ground and playing more freely and openly football.

I still hope to see Dembele on Right someday soon, semedo playing the back, and Frenkie would fit well as HCM in that combination.
Something like:
Malcom-Jovic-Dembele
Eriksen-Sergio-Frenkie
Alba-Titi-Pique-Semedo
(if messi doesn't extend his contract). As good as Messi is he really does provide a bunch of problems as well with his hybrid role

Pique and Busi in the line up an Messi not. What are you smoking? :rofl1:

Havesaks

He seems to have similar ability to Roberto. Run through the midfield.

Oh yes, thats actually true. Thats robertos best and only high class skill and quiet rare in football - also why i though he could have made it in a team like arsenal-level as a starter. Pogba also has that skill. Zidane, laudrup had it also.

Ajax

Most people who see a few games will think he would better playing higher up the field but he isnt that good near the box. He should really stay in the back and dictate the pace and create space

Home of Barca Fans