21 - Frenkie de Jong

Givenchy

From his 3 years here, I'm really confused as to where we can actually find a place for him other than a double pivot. He's a DM that wants to abandon defensive duty yet doesn't really have the quality going forward in the final third to assist or score goals. Very confusing player.

khaled_a_d

From his 3 years here, I'm really confused as to where we can actually find a place for him other than a double pivot. He's a DM that wants to abandon defensive duty yet doesn't really have the quality going forward in the final third to assist or score goals. Very confusing player.

It feels we are heading this way very soon.
Pedri playing deeper had really positive impact to the team, and right now it is really rare to find a team using single pivot (and those are usually destroyer type) that it is unlikely to find a normal replacement to Busquets.
Evolving into a gameplan with 2 pivots seems like the answer

CanadianCanadian

The game is just getting faster and more physical. Every player needs to contribute to the press and play with/without the ball. Reasons why players like Ozil, James Rodriguez, Panic are not playing in top level leagues. You couldn't win with an old ageing squad in any decade, let alone the game as it is right now. To think we started Vidal, Rakitic, and Busquets as our 3 midfielders against Bayern 2 years ago :mou:

malvolio

It feels we are heading this way very soon.
Pedri playing deeper had really positive impact to the team, and right now it is really rare to find a team using single pivot (and those are usually destroyer type) that it is unlikely to find a normal replacement to Busquets.
Evolving into a gameplan with 2 pivots seems like the answer

Preparing for the Messi return then? :mou:

BusiTheKing

Mate, I was just pointing out the mistakes that lead to that goal. You want to make it all about Pedri when he is not a DM and the other two(more defensive minded) midfielders also failed to stop the attack.

Also, where was the RB there and what was Pedri doing in that position?

FDJ was running around chasing shadows, with a speed like he went for a jog in the park. If Busquets was there instead of FDJ, he would have been crucified in here.

80M transfer fee + 80M in salary player, in his 4th season here and looking worse than ever.

Yes I have this weird notion that the other midfielders besides the DM share a defensive responsibility as well.

Seems to me De Jong was tracking his man, which, if Pedri had done the same would have prevented the goal. Then he took up a completely normal position for a DM, holding the space above the back line and pushing up. I really don't see what you want from him there.

Pedri was covering for Sergi Roberto. That's what you have to do as a midfielder when caught on the counter with offensive wing backs. I think Sergi Roberto in this case was too slow in getting back, but that doesn't mean you just abandon the positinon, leaving the winger completely open when you're the closest guy to him.

The reason I'm making it about Pedri is because people called his performance great and De Jong's poor and I think there's a bias.

Home of Barca Fans