21 - Frenkie de Jong

Joan

Ajax's midfield is not as physically impressive as Bayern's, yet they have controlled and for the most part dominated the midfield game through movement, high IQ play and good one touch passing.

This physicality obsession is absurd. We tried that and still flopped. Our problem is the lack of creativity, mobility and movement off the ball. Too slow passing the ball taking a dozen extra touches.

Doesn't mean we should take the opposite path. Both aspects should be there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Doesn't mean we should take the opposite path. Both aspects should be there.

I would take a player like I mentioned over a slow tree like Rabiot. We don't need to make the midfield even slower. If you want to add some physicality then at least get a player like Arturo Vidal or someone that can run fast enough to defend counter attacks.

You cannot scream for physicality and ignore the most important part. Lack of mobility and the overall slowness of the midfield.

Physicality for the sake of physicality is, if I can be blunt, just dumb. If you want a bigger, stronger player then he should not be slow and have issues with moving his ass fast enough as that's just going one step forward and two back.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Anyway, I would like to have De Jong here.

But, but, but.
Imo, his skills are exagerrated and overrated at least 200-300% in media and this forum.
He is a nice, young, quality player.
But nowhere near: he will save our team or Barca will die if we don't get him.

De Light, the same?
I wouldn't trade Lenglet for him in this moment at all.
And Lenglet is still only the 3rd best CB in our team, for me.

They are nice players, but the overhype is ridiculous.
And absolutely nothing will happen if we miss on both of them due to insane prices.

Donatello

Started another move which led to goal tbf

I'm not saying he is bad. He is 22 and has a lot of room for improvement.

But, for me he isn't worth spending 75M on, 50M max or move on. He was a decent buy at 50M (considering market inflation, otherwise 40M max) , but 75M is too much of a risk.

Not to mention it will halt the development of Alena, Oriol & Puig, they atleast deserve a chance. It also conveys that La Masia isn't valued as it used to be.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Neither does Rakitic(he's pathetic in key passes and chances created if you want to use stats as well), but he's an indisputable starter for us and him playing safe passes all day long is deemed as a very good game by you :shrug:

de Jong has the ability to play killer passes and would complement Coutinho and Arthur well in a midfield IMO. A player that can play different positions as a CM and CDM.

I think Rakitic’s movement and decision making in the final third is very good once he is allowed to join the attack and not just babysit. Also value his long ball passing a lot, that is his most overlooked by the majority skill for me.

I should watch more De Jong games, no doubt, but for now I am questioning his attacking capabilities.
Mind you, I am also against Rabiot just as the majority, not buying that physicality argument. Rabiot is worse in attack than De Jong is anyway. What I meant is that a Busi-Arthur-De Jong midfield will be devoid of creativity. If one of Arthur or De Jong, however, plays as the CDM, a third creative midfielder is needed, with a real instinct for killer balls and dribbling. Coutinho can be that guy if he adapts to the CM role, hopefully until Puig is ready enough, I’m betting all my money on that guy.

Last edited:

DonAK

I think Rakitic’s movement and decision making in the final third is very good once he is allowed to join the attack and not just babysit. Also value his long ball passing a lot, that is his most overlooked by the majority skill for me.

I should watch more De Jong games, no doubt, but for now I am questioning his attacking capabilities.

Rakitic babysitting players must be the biggest myth running on this forum and the easiest excuse to use for him.

Let's use the same excuse for Busquets's slow ass, dumb pressing too. I don't find it constructive at all. He, or well both just don't do enough in attack or helping the ball move forward fast enough.

Cannot keep using excuses all the time and keep perpetuating the same myth.

Joan

I'm not saying he is bad. He is 22 and has a lot of room for improvement.

But, for me he isn't worth spending 75M on, 50M max or move on. He was a decent buy at 50M (considering market inflation, otherwise 40M max) , but 75M is too much of a risk.

Not to mention it will halt the development of Alena, Oriol & Puig, they atleast deserve a chance. It also conveys that La Masia isn't valued as it used to be.

Wasn't directed to you. I was trolling him for giving the ball away.

On topic: I wholeheartedly agree. Been my point for some time. We don't have the money to risk 150 mil on two Dutch talents.

Joan

I would take a player like I mentioned over a slow tree like Rabiot. We don't need to make the midfield even slower. If you want to add some physicality then at least get a player like Arturo Vidal or someone that can run fast enough to defend counter attacks.

You cannot scream for physicality and ignore the most important part. Lack of mobility and the overall slowness of the midfield.

Physicality for the sake of physicality is, if I can be blunt, just dumb. If you want a bigger, stronger player then he should not be slow and have issues with moving his ass fast enough as that's just going one step forward and two back.

Rabiot's not the topic, but you make him look slower than he is. I'd say his pace is comparable to De Jong's (who's not a pacy player, nor are Arthur and Coutinho). Ndombele is faster than both of them. But again: in Rabiot I see an opportunity, a cheap yet quality player. Not that I think he'll transform our midfield or something. A useful type I personally like.

Noone's talking about sheer physicality for the sake of it. And you know it. Just an example: both Arthur and Coutinho are 172, De Jong 180.

To make it clear: I'd take De Jong over Rabiot. But not for 75 mil.

DonAK

Rabiot's not the topic, but you make him look slower than he is. I'd say his pace is comparable to De Jong's (who's not a pacy player, nor are Arthur and Coutinho). Ndombele is faster than both of them. But again: in Rabiot I see an opportunity, a cheap yet quality player. Not that I think he'll transform our midfield or something. A useful type I personally like.

Noone's talking about sheer physicality for the sake of it. And you know it. Just an example: both Arthur and Coutinho are 172, De Jong 180.

To make it clear: I'd take De Jong over Rabiot. But not for 75 mil.

I mentioned Rabiot because BBZ's obsession with him stems from only one thing: His height. He's not even a strong player or a physical beast, dude's just in love because of his height.

Which makes me wonder if he only prefers women that's over 1.85m too.

DonAK

165-175cm is optimal.
And skinny.
Without too much strength.

BBZ, stop talking about players height and how much they weight and get back to your Tinder experiment. I miss those posts.

That was peak BBZ. I don't like trolling BBZ or physicality obsessed BBZ.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Hypothetically, if we did buy a player, someone like Ndombele (a very vertical playmaker) or Aouar (a great dribbler) would be a better fit for our midfield than FdJ because we already have an excellent controller in Arthur. De Jong more or less carries out the same functions. But then again, I haven’t watched de Jong that much. He just does not strike me as that type of player. Who knows, I may discover his attacking prowess if I watch more.

Home of Barca Fans