21 - Frenkie de Jong

Messi983

!!!!!ojooooooo!!!!!!!

But the question is. How do you know we have talked to them and haven’t leaked anything to the press?

I have top secret sources and I’m 100% certain.

Seriously, I don't believe papers but even MD/Sport didn't report we have signed De Jong and IIRC they didn't even mentioned we have a "personal deal" with him like they usually say. They only reported we are interested in De Jong and we plan to sign him next year. But there is still a long way between planning to buy someone and actually do that.

Negotiations with Ajax are the most important part of executing our plan to buy him and for all we know those talks didn't start yet but could today or this week. But I'm pretty sure we've made enquiries about De Jong so Ajax is aware about our interest. Just because we didn't officially start to negotiate doesn't mean we were not in contact with them before.

xXKonan

DfcbzRjWsAAq6_y.jpg

Seems like the club will do everything it can to get him this summer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Another player that should stay one more season in Ajax. Would do him wonders and Ajax will be a lot more willing to sell him too.

khaled_a_d

Another player that should stay one more season in Ajax. Would do him wonders and Ajax will be a lot more willing to sell him too.

Dutch league is a shit league tbh, it isn't the same league it was a decade ago (and obviously not anywhere near it was before Bosman laws)
I am not sure staying at Ajax would do him wonders, it could be just wasting his time.
This is like saying Alena should stay another year in Segunda, doesn't make much sense to me

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Dutch league is a shit league tbh, it isn't the same league it was a decade ago (and obviously not anywhere near it was before Bosman laws)
I am not sure staying at Ajax would do him wonders, it could be just wasting his time.
This is like saying Alena should stay another year in Segunda, doesn't make much sense to me

A move to Barca might be a step too big for him though, especially when he'll need minutes to develop further.

tacticvarium

If de Jong is already one of the top midfielders in the league, staying another season would harm his development just like what khaled mentioned regarding Aleñá. That was also what happened to Samper when he spent too much time at the B team. I think it would still be better for him to come to Barça and experience the intensity and competitiveness regardless of his actual playing time. Another solution could be that he can be loaned to the La Liga club. The loan policy hasn't worked for this club, but it still seems to be a better choice than staying in the league where there is no challenge and nothing to learn anymore.

GOAT_SUAREZ

If de Jong is already one of the top midfielders in the league, staying another season would harm his development just like what khaled mentioned regarding Aleñá. That was also what happened to Samper when he spent too much time at the B team. I think it would still be better for him to come to Barça and experience the intensity and competitiveness regardless of his actual playing time. Another solution could be that he can be loaned to the La Liga club. The loan policy hasn't worked for this club, but it still seems to be a better choice than staying in the league where there is no challenge and nothing to learn anymore.

It's not our choice.

Messi983

I think playing regularly at age 19/20 is more important than level of competition you're playing. It's not like Eredivisie is some 3rd or 4th level league anyway.

Jombi

I think playing regularly at age 19/20 is more important than level of competition you're playing. It's not like Eredivisie is some 3rd or 4th level league anyway.

That depends on the quality of the 21 year old. De Jong will turn 22 next season so if he really is as talented as we think, he needs to take it to the next level.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
New reports saying he wants to leave this summer, inspired by Justin Kluivert's exit. De ligt supposedly does too. Ajax have put a price of 50m on him while allegedly Barca's first offer was 25m lol.

I'd be willing to pay up to like 40-45 for him to come this summer, maybe even more. He looks like a truly special player, the kind that doesn't come around very often. To have his very well rounded skillset, and overall feel for the game at his size (over 1.8m, looks to be strong and balanced on the ball) is rare. He has ball fakes and moves reminiscent of Modric and Iniesta, and extremely crisp passing range/accuracy and vision for long balls. On top of that, he has the defensive IQ to play both CDM and CB even though he's probably best unleashed as a CM. Even BBZ would approve of a player like this who is excellent on both sides of the ball and athletic/physically built.

In what is essentially his rookie season as a starter, he was capable enough to be trusted to play as a CB even though he's a midfielder by nature. And not only did he do that, but he excelled and stood out as a false CB attacking out of the back and into space the likes of which hasn't even been seen in several decades a la Beckenbauer.

The confidence and poise he has on the ball is outstanding. And he's showing this against a team like PSV that won the title this season and will probably be in the CL next year. That level of game IQ could translate to being useful for Barca right now, not just in the future. That's exactly what allowed Kimmich and Mbappe able to succeed at the highest level even when they were young.

It's time to be bold and put trust in young players, seeing how it has paid off for teams across Europe. City with Sane/Jesus, Bayern with Kimmich/Sule, RM with Asensio, PSG with Mbappe, etc. Even Umtiti was only 22 IIRC when he began starting for us, look how it worked out. I see De Jong is a player with 0 glaring holes in his game, he looks to be absolutely excellent overall (and as a two way player, both offensively and defensively) and only lacks goalscoring up to now. Which should be no concern for us and he could even go on to develop that side of his game when pushed forward into a central midfield role as he should.

mia7007

Put 80m for him and De Light and cancel Lenglet transfer. Both are potential to be top players in their positions. I would put money on these players rather than Brazilians

Home of Barca Fans