21 - Frenkie de Jong

Rory

Frenkie was never going to be this amazing, game winning player for us. My thinking was he?s signed to be a secure midfield player. Just because he sat Modric down that one time it?s like people assume that?s what?s expected of him by fans. His hype was that he looked good in a great system and that if we could replicate some conditions of that system he would flourish there too. Our football is chalk and cheese to that Ajax team he announced himself in.

mc_lovin

Hes one of two players we have who can actually dominate games. But its just too much to ask for him to do that game after game - noone does. Especially in midfield. Not when the rest of the team is dysfunctional at best (see forward line).

I have the theory that you just need 3-4 absolute key players (worldclass) and 7-8 serviceable players (good fits, hard working) for a winning team. Frenkie - for me - belongs in the first category. If we have a good to great team in a few years he will be one of the top dogs, I am pretty sure of that.

JohnN

You can't guess what Barca team shows up lately. We had really good games where everyone was on point and games like yesterday. I can't decide if players fail to turn up due to fatigue or it's something else, but one thing is for sure. When we don't turn up,no single player turns up. It's weird.

Bobo32

This is a perfect example, never saw that clip before (and never even knew he played CB at Ajax before I started to want him as a CB at Barcelona).

He can get even more out of his runs with the ball from that starting position. With the right midfield in front of him he could even join the attack without the ball sometimes.
Look at what made him so hyped at Ajax, it was mostly his calmness around his own box, his ability to turn away from the press and combine through the press with a lot of space to run into.

JamDav1982

Dont put him CB get the right midfielders around him in a hard working team with movement and be a box to box midfielder.

Should sell him before putting him to CB or lone DM as there would be plenty of takers for decent money that would be better off than playing in weaker position.

Bobo32

runs into wide open space without anyone challenging him? mark of a true great CB :lol:

he is shite at CB. even had some leglentesque moments when played there for us.

This is a more impressive offensive action than pretty much anything he ever did at Barcelona.
Because of his quick transportation of the ball into that wide open space (that pretty much no other CB would take) he arrives with players in front of him and in a nice situation, where he has better vision than he usually gets when playing as MC. The pass he plays is perfect in direction, pace, tempo, timing.

He is a bit shit defensively, but should be pretty easy to fix if you make him focus on it.

Rory

Frenkie as a cb for us wouldn't work. Teams sit back against us, always will until we reach the level of being outside of the ucl places. His burst forward would be met with a low block and a counter attack a handful of times per game. Araujo paired with another solid but better on the ball defender should be priority for the defence. Not Frenkie who doesn't enjoy defending, doesn't win aerial duels, physical battles against a number 9, who is found out of position at CB, the list goes on. Might as well keep Lenglet at the back which is vomit-inducing.

malvolio

This is a more impressive offensive action than pretty much anything he ever did at Barcelona.
Because of his quick transportation of the ball into that wide open space (that pretty much no other CB would take) he arrives with players in front of him and in a nice situation, where he has better vision than he usually gets when playing as MC. The pass he plays is perfect in direction, pace, tempo, timing.

He is a bit shit defensively, but should be pretty easy to fix if you make him focus on it.

mate, he was playing vs some dutch farmers that barely had their team organized. you are just fantasizing of some specific scenario which can happen once or twice a season.

we haven't payed a ton of cash for him to be shoehorned into some role he is not comfortable in.

JamDav1982

Teams wont defend that wide open against Barca particularly this Barca as they know Barca play slow football based on the older players and dont have the pace or dribbling threats to stretch game open.

Barca v PSG fuck about on ball with Pique/Lenglet and Busi slowing game down waiting for Messi to appear then PSG pressed it when over half way line. World of difference to games like that.

Bobo32

He is quicker than Pique or Lenglet, probably than Mascherano as well. He wins the long ball headers no problem. Crosses might be a problem for him.
The weakness he's shown has been a bit in concentration and in some basic movements when marking and in 1v1 situations, but I say this is something easily fixable with instruction and time.

Nevermind what Frenkie enjoys, it is not enjoyable to see him take 5 seconds to get the ball at his feet and his feet in the right direction. What Busquets does in 1 touch or sometimes 0 touch, Frenkie does in 10 touches. The midfield is too tight for him.

Bobo32

mate, he was playing vs some dutch farmers that barely had their team organized. you are just fantasizing of some specific scenario which can happen once or twice a season.

we haven't payed a ton of cash for him to be shoehorned into some role he is not comfortable in.

I think he was at his best as a CB this season, this was against farmers too, but farmers in the lead v. Barcelona.
I see big potential for him as a CB, but I don't see so big potential for him as a MC and even less as a DMC - maybe they should just sell him then, if you are right in that he can't become a good CB.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I think he was at his best as a CB this season, this was against farmers too, but farmers in the lead v. Barcelona.
I see big potential for him as a CB, but I don't see so big potential for him as a MC and even less as a DMC - maybe they should just sell him then, if you are right in that he can't become a good CB.

He was terrible at CB and his best games clearly came at RCM when we switched to the 4-3-3.

Home of Barca Fans