21 - Frenkie de Jong

FinBarcelonafan

Rakitic only passes backwards/infront of him in those situations, almost clone situations with messi being frustrated with him. Thats something that stats dont show, and as soon bbz realize that this is part of the rakitic game that a vast majority of this forum hate, world would be a better place.

But frenkie, my god, there is something about him running, searching, exploiting that makes me excited, his confidence on the ball is something we lacked since forever in mf. I want him to have the ball all the time, and cant wait to see when messi, griez and him would be fielded together, that should be our golden triangle in posession.

Arthur with Frenkie should be good.

Donatello

Our high running - high pressing Barca dream might come true, we have whole up and coming young squad which can be taught to press well and have fast transition.

MATs
Semedo - Todibo - Lenglet - Firpo
Arthur - FDJ - Alena/Puig
Messi - Griezmann - Dembele

Apart from Messi, everyone is a runner, young and can press well. All we need is someone like Klopp or Guardiola.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Our high running - high pressing Barca dream might come true, we have whole up and coming young squad which can be taught to press well and have fast transition.

MATs

Apart from Messi, everyone is a runner, young and can press well. All we need is someone like Klopp or Guardiola.

True. Good point. I think this is what we should aim to do. We are too slow now and predictable.

abbbs97

r/barca is filled with Valverde apologists because all the ones against EV are banned. I said some stuff that are anti-Valverde during the Copa final and I got permabanned. They're so sensitive over there its hilarious :lol: There are people over there who seriously think that Rakitic is better than Frenkie. I just cant believe how brainless some people are over there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's easily the best midfielder we have. He oozes class and is ambitious and a winner.

He's the guy we have to build our midfield around starting from today. Looking forward to getting my #21 shirt.

abbbs97

Off topic, but we also have such people here. :lol:

That is true but over there, its the majority that think that while in here we only have people like BBZ and the occasional troll. I was reading the post match thread over there from last night's match and people thought that Rakitic was the best player on the pitch and that he should be in the starting lineup for the whole season lol. Its pretty funny to read their posts tbh. BBZ should join them.

underoath

Banned

MATs

So Messi will stop ageing ? 😂 Firpo, Arthur and Alena/Puig, attacking teams will have a fun time with that line up

Gnidrologist

Attacking teams have fun with us already. Partly because we're not able to be attacking against them ourselves so there's no need to hold back like they used to.

BusiTheKing

thread on r/barca with that video showcasing de jongs frustration with our play got locked for comments :lol:

I wrote a long post a while back about the reflexive reluctance towards brave short passes. Basically, my thesis was that our midfield was entering a self-sustaining collapse of creative output because we were cultivating a culture of discouraging playing brave short passes.

Basically, this is a very revealing juxtaposition between cultures where short passing is discouraged vs. encouraged.

The thing is, one new player doesn't change a culture, he assimilates. What we need is more of a rip out the roots and start again situation.

Donatello

So Messi will stop ageing ? 😂 Firpo, Arthur and Alena/Puig, attacking teams will have a fun time with that line up

I didn't say this was the lineup we should use from the next match onwards.

It was more about indicating how our future team might look, and that it could be moulded into high running and high pressing team.

And Messi isn't getting younger, but he also isn't going anywhere for the next 4-5 years, hence the inclusion. And tbh, if the rest 9 players press hard to win the ball and run enough, a walking Messi won't be a problem at all.

Home of Barca Fans