2021 Ballon d'Or

BarcaOG

Banned
The winners knew beforehand that they were going to win, right? Because they had to shoot those tributary and congratulatory videos well ahead of time, right?

as soon as i saw messi wearing that ridiculous jacket i knew he had won. you dont wear something like that unless youre taking the award home.

obviously his family knew since they filmed his kids, lol, and i doubt Suarez, who presented the award, would have kept it a secret.

clearly a number of people are told in advance. curious how that is done and just how often there are leaks

Hardy

of course they knew, they have to prepare magazine with pics and interview, even the losers know

El Gato

Villarato!
In which case, if you consider the implication that the journalist's source must have been Benzema himself or his entourage at worst, since that's how it was being reported about Karim being around and about Bernabeu with his kid, that would make Benzema a... what exactly?

Rory

okay, i have calmed down since Monday, but i still think--and, given the varied reactions across the world of football, not unreasonably--that Messi did not deserve this award. his abysmal performance yesterday, which is basically all we have seen of him since the season started, highlights just why it is so silly to say that he is 'the best' when there are others--salah, benzema, lewa--who are playing better.

hell, have any of you seen vinivius play lately? that kid is on fire right now

That's what player of the month is for. Salah is in ridiculous form right now. If he continues this all season to score 30+ goals and then wins an important trophy he will be deserving of the award. Glad I could help.

Rory

Great to know that the goalposts have been shifted by ogbarcaog. Apparently now it's the start of the season that matters for a player. Before it used to be how you ended the season and what you had won. Can't keep track.

BarcaOG

Banned
Great to know that the goalposts have been shifted by ogbarcaog. Apparently now it's the start of the season that matters for a player. Before it used to be how you ended the season and what you had won. Can't keep track.

well, the bdor is awarded on an annual basis, which last i checked runs january-december. messi was poor (or, to put it less provocatively), certainly not the best in the world between january-april and september-december. so it is equally as arbitrary (i.e. shifting the goalposts) to decide the award based on messi's june 2021 performances during the copa america, which is the only thing that puts him 'above' other players with similar achievements.

the funny thing is that if the opposite were the case--that is, if messi had, idk, 20 goals in france since september, the messi party, you included, would most certainly use that to support their case. but since messi has been poor it is very well, of course, to forget about 1/3 of the year :lol:

Home of Barca Fans