2018 UEFA Super Cup - Real Madrid vs. Atlético de Madrid

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
RM with Lopetegui will struggle for top4 in La Liga this season. Mark my words! But I think he will be sacked until november/december and they will stabilize with the new manager, maybe...

Hope not. That was my fear with Rafa Benitez that he would fuck up too early and get fired mid-season, which happened and what followed is sadly in the history books forever. Hope he can be more like a Valverde. Playing bad football and doing pretty average, but not bad enough to get fired when he probably should have been.

El Gato

Villarato!
Surely you must know, That there is no chance for your team to win la liga or CL this season in its current condition, It’s something that was obvious to me well before this super cup.

Have you started supporting Barca half a year ago? Or just missed out on August 2017?

soul24rage

I wouldn't underestimate Real just yet. We had a bit similar situation like Real with losing Neymar and losing to Real in both games in the spanish super cup. With the squad Real had and with the great season Real had, we thought it would be hard to compete with them at the top. Obviously Neymar is definetly not as productive as Ronaldo was, but the atmosphere Real is experiencing is a bit similar to us last year. After winning the domestic double with over double digits from ATM , I learned the lesson of never to underestimate an opponent especially with the likes of Real

Real can have a terrible season, but all I'm saying is let's wait until the end of the year before deciding that they are going to fall out of the top 4 as Real still have a lot of players with experience, I assume they want to prove a point that they can be competitive without Ronaldo and the lowered expectations can reduce the pressure of them.

Joan

Hope not. That was my fear with Rafa Benitez that he would fuck up too early and get fired mid-season, which happened and what followed is sadly in the history books forever. Hope he can be more like a Valverde. Playing bad football and doing pretty average, but not bad enough to get fired when he probably should have been.

Winning two thirds of the titles available? I don't.

KingLeo10

in all seriousness, I wouldn't want to come across atletico in europe. we already play at snail's pace and there is no chance of breaking that double decker bus once simeone finally casts savic away for jimenez. :lol::lol:

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Winning two thirds of the titles available? I don't.

They can do that all day for all I care as long as we win the CL. That’s the big one these days, no matter what some Barca fans try to tell themselves so they can sleep at night. Nobody gave a single fuck about our league trophy and CdR last season when RM won the CL.

I wouldn't underestimate Real just yet. We had a bit similar situation like Real with losing Neymar and losing to Real in both games in the spanish super cup. With the squad Real had and with the great season Real had, we thought it would be hard to compete with them at the top. Obviously Neymar is definetly not as productive as Ronaldo was, but the atmosphere Real is experiencing is a bit similar to us last year. After winning the domestic double with over double digits from ATM , I learned the lesson of never to underestimate an opponent especially with the likes of Real

Real can have a terrible season, but all I'm saying is let's wait until the end of the year before deciding that they are going to fall out of the top 4 as Real still have a lot of players with experience, I assume they want to prove a point that they can be competitive without Ronaldo and the lowered expectations can reduce the pressure of them.

Good post.

My gut reaction (formed around the time Lemar was signed) is that Atletico will do well on all fronts this season. Atletico have the added incentive of doing well in the Champions League this season since the final is in their home stadium.

People are overestimating Madrid and underestimating Atletico.

Costa playing like the beast that he is the whole season alongside Griezmann this season will get them the goals to support their best defense in Europe.

Barca will always be able to beat Madrid. So the question is whether we can beat Atletico should we meet them in the latter stages of the Champions League (they've knocked us out pretty convincingly in two quarterfinals.) That litmus test will show us just how far we've progressed under EV.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

Real is going to finish top 4 easy--they always had a lot of class beyond CR, half the time they play better without him.

However right when Griezmann made it official I have expressed that ATM would finish 2nd again in league. They are one of the 5 most complete teams in the world. Tough as nails defensively and far from impotent in attack. I think ATM are also a bigger threat in the CL than either Real or Juve.

Donatello

Surely you must know, That there is no chance for your team to win la liga or CL this season in its current condition, It’s something that was obvious to me well before this super cup.

I remember last year, after Neymar leaving and RM horror show, people said Barca is finished and even top 4 is going to be hard.

Many people said Valverde will be sacked mid season.

And that, RM are going to have their best ever year.

We all know what happened in the end. So, Just don't underestimate either Barca or RM, they are the best in the world for a reason.

soul24rage

Good post.

My gut reaction (formed around the time Lemar was signed) is that Atletico will do well on all fronts this season. Atletico have the added incentive of doing well in the Champions League this season since the final is in their home stadium.

People are overestimating Madrid and underestimating Atletico.

Costa playing like the beast that he is the whole season alongside Griezmann this season will get them the goals to support their best defense in Europe.

Barca will always be able to beat Madrid. So the question is whether we can beat Atletico should we meet them in the latter stages of the Champions League (they've knocked us out pretty convincingly in two quarterfinals.) That litmus test will show us just how far we've progressed under EV.

with more quality in their squad, Atletico are going to be right up there in La Liga. I wouldn't like to face them in the CL.

Capitan Puyol

Valverde wasn't bad last season - Home double, title with 17 points clear ahead of RM. In Europe...CL failures were/are like a virus for Barca with different managers, so I can't blame him for that. Even with Pep with the best Barca in the history we fucked up in 2010 and 2012.

Garrus

Have you started supporting Barca half a year ago? Or just missed out on August 2017?

Oh i’m Sorry, So the basis of your expectations this season, Is hoping that Lopetegui is just reenacting valverde’s last season with us?

:lol:

I think you’re still in shell shock, Come back again with some objectivity instead of wishful thinking.

Pepe Silvia

No way would I EVER go into this season underestimating madrid. Never happen. We must go in strong and with Puyol-esque focus.

Home of Barca Fans