2012-2013 : What is needed ?

i_bleed_blaugrana

With David Luiz it's a risk-reward thing and IMO it's too much risk. First of all it's gonna cost A LOT to get him from Chelsea and so why pay that much money for a guy who in your own estimation needs development and has holes in his game. We need a CB who can get in the starting XI right NOW especially with Puyol showing his age recently. Pique is no longer reliable (which is why he has been dropped for the big games) and the assumption that he is gonna automatically turn it 'on' next season is completely unfounded and based more on hope than sound theory. Our forwards looked tired and with the injury to David Villa our defenders were put in a little more pressure this season and they cracked in the big games. Big money signings should be starting material for Barca.

As for your other points, Fabregas does nothing more naturally than Messi. Why you suggest we push 65 goal Messi to the RW in order to accomodate Cesc is beyond me. And IMO that's been our downfall already, trying to change too many things in order to fit Cesc in there when the reality is that he's not good enough to be a starter in this side (if our goal is to win the big trophies). We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

- I agree in saying its just best to say we agree to disagree with the whole Fabregas thing. I have seen him do some fantastic things with Arsenal, and I just think if we had him back to his best AND Messi, we would be even more dangerous.

-As far David Luiz, yes it is a risk but the reason why I think it would be better than say Thiago Silva will have to do with his price. Regardless of what CB we buy this summer, we are going to be paying a lot, 30 million at the very least. If we got David Luiz, I would estimate we would need to pay about 35-40 million in order for it to be of economic value for Chelsea (they bought him for 25 from Benfica). With Thiago Silva, we would easily have to pay 60-65 million for them to even consider letting him go, which is why I think Luiz is a risk worth taking. The only other viable option would be Hummels yet he is just as much of a risk as Luiz is.

-I am not sure why you think Pique isn't reliable and won't regain his form. I have a lot of faith in our players and I believe that Pique will be re-motivated after being benched this year since he will have to convince Vilanova that he does deserve that spot. Because of this, I see Pique getting back to his best form next season. Puyol is getting old yes, but I don't think he should be bumped out of the starting line-up yet. I see him being our version of Maldini and I think he could keep playing for another three or four seasons as an active bench player but I think he could have another season or two where he can still start. But again, buying a CB who can fill his spot is paramount if we want to continue our dominance and as far as making shrewd signings, I think we will get more bang for our buck if we go for either David Luiz or Hummels instead of Thiago Silva. I say this because as good as Thiago Silva is, he isn't worth breaking our bank and severely overpaying for a player who is at his peak while we can get younger players who can be just as good as him at a cheaper price.

-As great as Messi is and as great of an individual season he has had this season, for the sake of the team in general, I think he needs to be moved back out to the RW, not just for Cesc but for Villa as well. Messi can do what he does and score like he does from any point in the pitch which is why he is one of the, if not the, greatest of all time and for the sake of the team, he needs to accomidate for others, particularly Villa, in order for our attack to be more balanced and less Messi-centric.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Whomever suggested that we sell Villa, Affelay or Dani Alves should be shot and buried with a Madrid shirt. Insanity, Dani Alves is the best RB in the world and we should not sell him. Period. Villa and Affelay just had serious injuries and will be back to their best (we particularly need to keep Affelay due to his long distance shooting skills and I personally would like to see him feature a lot for us next season). The only players we should consider selling are Keita (who I would still prefer to keep but he is somewhat superfluous), and Adriano. All I want to see us bring in is Jordi Alba and Mats Hummels/David Luiz because I think that is all we will need for the next two seasons. I do think we should eventually buy Neymar but we don't need him anytime soon and he should continue to develop at Santos and mature a bit more.

i_bleed_blaugrana

We need a left back who can also play in the center , so i don't want Alba.

But i Agree with everything else you said.

As much as I want to clone Abidal too, it cannot be done. Honestly though, if we get another CB and Alba takes the starting spot at LB, if Abidal is healthy enough to keep playing, we can convert him into a CB if need be. I really want us to get Alba though, to have another Dani Alves to contend with on the Left would give Mou, Di Matteo and all the other bus drivers nightmares.

Wouterinho

The 3 next players we have to buy (doens't have to be this summer) are:
- Alba, because we really need a LB
- Neymar, I'm not his biggest fan but I can't deny the fact that he has a lot of potential, and barca can nurture his talent.
- Javi Martinez, argueably... If we buy him, I'd like to see him getting turned into a Central defender, like we did with Mascherano.

Reminder; Barcelona will only buy exceptionally talented players AND if possible, they have to speak Spanish (like Martinez and Alba) or at least have some knowledge of Spanish (like Adriano, Keita, Alves,... who al played for an other spanish team before joining Barcelona). That's why there's a bigger chance that we buy guys like alba, than guys like Bale, T. Silva?, ...

And there aren't any players that would have to leave in my opinion. (Yes, I do know that buying these 3 players without selling anyone is close to impossible)
Guys like Keita and Alves are way too important.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Brazilians learn spanish quickly because of the similarities between Portuguese and Castellano

Ash1899

price tag is crazy, but that can be worked down. it's not crazy to think that a guy can update his game, though, he's only 24 or something. he could learn to be an excellent lb who has great attacking abilities, strength and height

Let me get this straight

You are willing to spend 50m on a player for a position he is not good at (and has previous history of being atrocious at it) in the hopes that he has the potential to be good at it?

So basically spending 50m to convert a player to play in a position that atm Barcelona need proven players at?

o.k

p.s. - why do people want Bale? His main attributes are his speed (given enough space), decent shooting ability and his crossing ability (basically useless for Barca)

LaMessiah

Let me get this straight

You are willing to spend 50m on a player for a position he is not good at (and has previous history of being atrocious at it) in the hopes that he has the potential to be good at it?

So basically spending 50m to convert a player to play in a position that atm Barcelona need proven players at?

o.k

p.s. - why do people want Bale? His main attributes are his speed (given enough space), decent shooting ability and his crossing ability (basically useless for Barca)
i'm not for spending 50M on any player, really, but if you can get tottenham to come down on the price, i think bale could bring something to this team that's missing: strength, speed, decent arial ability and crossing. sure, it might not work out but you can say that about any transfer that's going to happen. and not all crosses end up on someone's head

F

Flavia

Let me get this straight

o.k

Are you asking LaMessiah personally, or if the club is willing to do that? I doubt Barça will spent that much for one player, and Zubizarreta hinted today that no big signings will be made.

LaMessiah

Are you asking LaMessiah personally, or if the club is willing to do that? I doubt Barça will spent that much for one player, and Zubizarreta hinted today that no big signings will be made.
gonna have to break open the piggy bank like a mug

sukhy

Gareth Bale for 30m or Alba for 10m
Javi Martinez for 25m or Thiago Silva for 30m
Neymar for 40m or van Persie for 20m or Llorente for 30m

For me personally I would sign Bale, Thiago Silva and Neymar, purely because they cost more money lol, but seriously I would sign Bale as a fullback because the guy is an actual beast and Barca need more height to defend set pieces. Its a tough choice between Martinez and Silva, but I think at this point an actual centre back is needed, he would fit in perfectly with the Barca style of play. And I would sign Neymar purely because I think that in tandem with Messi he could be just obscene.

---------------- Valdes --------------
Alves/Montoya--Pique/Puyol---Thiago Silva/Masch--Bale/Adriano
----Xavi/Thiago-----Busquets/Keita----Iniesta/Cesc---
Sanchez/Pedro-------Messi-------Neymar/Villa

and then you have guys like Afellay, Cuenca, Muniesa etc who could all come in if there are injuries.

Home of Barca Fans