20 - Sergi Roberto

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Can't become much better than Spain's 10th best midfielder if you are playing as a right back for three years.

He's not talented enough to be anything more than Spain's 10th best midfielder or else he would have shown it by now.

There is no untapped potential in Roberto. This is his ceiling.

He's not Thiago, or Koke or Saul.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He's not talented enough to be anything more than Spain's 10th best midfielder or else he would have shown it by now.

I don't know, I reckon he is. Think if he moved to EPL for example he would instantly become one of the best box-to-box midfielders there. It is true that he lacks the vision to execute through-balls that ideally is a vital attribute for a Barca midfielder (not in the last 5 seasons though, lol), but he compensates that with stamina and dribbling. Touch and technique are obviously there too, as well as football intelligence. This theme is a bit of a dead horse really. We will see if he ever gets a chance in midfield in the future.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't know, I reckon he is. Think if he moved to EPL for example he would instantly become one of the best box-to-box midfielders there. It is true that he lacks the vision to execute through-balls that ideally is a vital attribute for a Barca midfielder (not in the last 5 seasons though, lol), but he compensates that with stamina and dribbling. Touch and technique are obviously there too, as well as football intelligence. This theme is a bit of a dead horse really. We will see if he ever gets a chance in midfield in the future.

I can see him working well for a team like Liverpool under Klopp, but in a 433 at Barça he lacks certain attributes needed to succeed, also not convinced he's good dribbling in tight spaces and avoiding pressure. He picks his moments very well and almost always seem to know where there is space opened up to run into and dribble.

xXKonan

If you don't trust Semedo then sign Odriozola.

Just get Roberto away from the RB position. We need an actual RB that got defending instincts and got pace.

Same happened last season. Had some good games vs average teams + one or two runs vs Real Madrid so everyone forgot how bad he can be, and I cannot even blame him as he's not a RB or a good fit for the role either.
I have a feeling that Roberto is to valued by Valverde for that to happen.

The way I see it is Roberto would still be our starting RB even if we go for someone like Odriozola if Valverde is still our manager. Roberto is a good player to have as a bench option but man you will be surprised just what people do to try and convince people that we should totally stick with him at RB despite him being outclassed on the defensive end so much.

Doesn't matter if he can provide in the Build up, he's simply to much of a weak link in the back at RB. Teams are having a joy going down his side as they know he's to weak on the defensive end.

TitoTata

Banned
If you don't trust Semedo then sign Odriozola.

Just get Roberto away from the RB position. We need an actual RB that got defending instincts and got pace.

Same happened last season. Had some good games vs average teams + one or two runs vs Real Madrid so everyone forgot how bad he can be, and I cannot even blame him as he's not a RB or a good fit for the role either.

He tried a nutmeg in our penalty box today after just 3 minutes , lost possession and only Ter Stegen saved us .

Home of Barca Fans