20 - Sergi Roberto

xXKonan

FamousNegligibleGander-size_restricted.gif

Bigger gif.

https://gfycat.com/FamousNegligibleGander

I don't embed the bigger ones because it kills my browser.

ronniecro

we need him in the midfield that's for sure after yesterdays game,he is something like rakitić,workhorse but a lot quicker than him

kilian

we need him in the midfield that's for sure after yesterdays game,he is something like rakitić,workhorse but a lot quicker than him

Rakitic contributes in attack with goals and great passes when given the chance to. We are yet to see something like that from Roberto, so I wouldn`t compare them.

Solid game from Roberto. Nothing special.

F

FlaFCB

I don't think you can entirely blame it on his position considering he was good at RB last season.
Being good in a couple of games in a makeshift position is different to really being good there consistently. He is not a rb. Trained his whole life as a midfielder.

BerkeleyBernie

His ability to TAKE THE BALL AND RUN is underrated, Roberto is a very good distance dribbler.

He is almost always successful when he tries it. This is at least the fourth or fifth time I can recall such a run from deep. I think it happens basically when he has been part of recovering a ball and dribbling out of a tight spot and is already moving at speed. He sees an open path and is strong enough and technical enough to take on the defenders in the open field. Nice skill and fun to watch.

Horatio

You're welcome
He is almost always successful when he tries it. This is at least the fourth or fifth time I can recall such a run from deep. I think it happens basically when he has been part of recovering a ball and dribbling out of a tight spot and is already moving at speed. He sees an open path and is strong enough and technical enough to take on the defenders in the open field. Nice skill and fun to watch.

It also helps defenders don't expect him to do it. If he starts to do this routinely they will close in on him quicker.

BerkeleyBernie

It also helps defenders don't expect him to do it. If he starts to do this routinely they will close in on him quicker.

Likely true. But it's also some smarts on his part. He sees open space to break through the first layer of defenders, then sees more open space to continue. He's a fairly conservative player, and if he saw he'd be closed down, he'll make the pass, or stop the counter and lay the ball off backwards.

BBZ8800

That run shows that he has talent.
But his mentality (he is a somewhat scared player without too much confidence in his abilities) is preventing him from doing those runs and genius moves over and over, like 2-3-510 times during a match.

With more courage, he would be a potential for Barca's Cm starter.
This way, without courage, he is just a squad player who will do some brilliant flashes here and there in between 100s of sideways and backwards alibi passes.

On the other hand, he is quite good currently in this Cm/Rm-Rb position in a 343 formation.

During the first half against Celta, I said to a Tv while watching a match: wow, he lost like 5-10 balls in a row with poor passes and bad first touch.
But on the other hand, he was running like crazy and covering a lot of space.

I am thankful for his running efforts, but I don't expect anything anymore in attacking terms, in terms of a creation (but not a random, isolated good cross, dribble or a through ball once a match, but like: constant build up and good link up play from him).

But yes, as a workhorse, he is the best workhorse in our team currently.

Home of Barca Fans