11 - Raphinha

fergus90

The problem is prices are going up at 2nd level teams too. So you can't really buy players from Southampton anymore for 20m. Any good potential player, even straight from Porto or Southampton, is gonna be 45-50m.

No I know and Mane still cost Liverpool ?35 million in 2016. You imagine if Barca bought 24 year old Mane from Southampton in 2016, people would be whining and calling him average.

Mane's highest goal scoring season at Southampton was 11 goals, same as Raphinha managed for Leeds this year.

serghei

The one thing that Laporta is totally spot on with is the wage structure. Our wage structure was the biggest problem under Bartomeu, the obscene spending, for years and years, making players impossible to move.

Messi983

True, but I can't fault Barca for not adopting a line of thinking of Dortmund and Arsenal. I have faith we're gonna survive Bartomeu and get back up at the top.

Sure but if you look at Liverpool for example they've signed VVD and Mane from Southampton but then also likes of Salah and Alison from Roma, Fabinho from Monaco, Keita and Konate from Leipzig and most recently Diaz from Porto.

So it's not only the line of thinking of Dortmund or Ajax but what one of the most successfull clubs has done in last 4-5 years on the market.

I've said it already in the past and I'll repeat myself. I think one of our main problems is we're just too set on/ "in love" with certain player(s) and we never (or very rarely) have good alternatives for them so in the end we either overpay or don't buy anyone at all at the position of need.

When we got all that Neymar money to spend (which was bad enough in itself because the whole world knew that) we were explicitly targetting Dembouz and Coutinho. There were zero alternatives for them. Now it's the same with Lewa. Bayern can play hardball because they know we're desparate to get him and will overpay or they are also comfortable to keep him until his contract expires if we won't pay what they want.

Won't mention Raphinha here as think we could've get him for cheaper if first Arsenal and then mainly Chelsea wouldn't come with big bids and we couldn't really make any serious offers before we sold TV rights but even here we could get someone cheaper like Sinisterra (who Leeds just signed as his replacement), Gakpo and there are surely also a few quality wingers in Ligue 1.

serghei

I know, but that's the profile of the club. We have to change our way of doing business because 15 years ago we were a mega-rich club, we and Madrid were breaking transfer records and so on. Now, with the multitude of sheik clubs around, we are not that rich anymore.

I said this myself, but the galactico strategy which was the bedrock for this club for decades is no longer feasible for us unless we sell the club to a rich private group or investor.

Messi983

No I know and Mane still cost Liverpool ?35 million in 2016. You imagine if Barca bought 24 year old Mane from Southampton in 2016, people would be whining and calling him average.

Mane's highest goal scoring season at Southampton was 11 goals, same as Raphinha managed for Leeds this year.

That's true but if club's scouts/SD really believe in a player they shouldn't really care about what fans initial reaction will be. You know part of the fan base will complain about each and every signing they'll make anyway and you should never buy players just to please the fans. We tried that with Dembouz and Coutinho and it backfired.

Also, Mane in 2016 was never a real option for us. We still had MSN playing on worldclass level back then. Timing just wasn't right. Ofc if we'd knew Neymar will back stab us a year later we could be better prepared. There were many reports we already liked Dembele before he went to Dortmund. Then we could've signed him for 15-20m and send him on loan for a season. He would probably still be on high wages (as everyone else) but not on as crazy one as he was as a 100m+ supposed star signing. And if he would then turned out injury prone we would move on from him years ago much easier than we could in reality.

LFCB

I know, but that's the profile of the club. We have to change our way of doing business because 15 years ago we were a mega-rich club, we and Madrid were breaking transfer records and so on. Now, with the multitude of sheik clubs around, we are not that rich anymore.

I said this myself, but the galactico strategy which was the bedrock for this club for decades is no longer feasible for us unless we sell the club to a rich private group or investor.

We aren't changing though. Why are we getting so many forwards? I'd happily wait now to get Lewa for free and just play Auba/Fati up front, especially if we are re-signing Demb and getting Raph.
We have needed a proper cb since Umtiti broke and a lb since Alba broke. It's always forwards with us.

serghei

We aren't changing though. Why are we getting so many forwards? I'd happily wait now to get Lewa for free and just play Auba/Fati up front, especially if we are re-signing Demb and getting Raph.
We have needed a proper cb since Umtiti broke and a lb since Alba broke. It's always forwards with us.

Because we lost 20 goals when comparing 2019-20 to 2020-21. The attack is not scoring and creating enough.

LFCB

Because we lost 20 goals when comparing 2019-20 to 2020-21. The attack is not scoring and creating enough.

I understand that, but we are going to be stacked up front and either not have enough to buy a competent defence/once again spend way too much Bartonomics style.

JamDav1982

Raphinha is different to what have.

Barca dont have that more creative AM/wide player and not anyone with left peg really either bar Dembele to an extent.

Probably are over paying for him a bit but what is the alternative if decide to save that 10/15m?

Assuming players are fit that Barca front line/options can be up there with best in Europe next season.

fergus90

That's true but if club's scouts/SD really believe in a player they shouldn't really care about what fans initial reaction will be. You know part of the fan base will complain about each and every signing they'll make anyway and you should never buy players just to please the fans. We tried that with Dembouz and Coutinho and it backfired.

Also, Mane in 2016 was never a real option for us. We still had MSN playing on worldclass level back then. Timing just wasn't right. Ofc if we'd knew Neymar will back stab us a year later we could be better prepared. There were many reports we already liked Dembele before he went to Dortmund. Then we could've signed him for 15-20m and send him on loan for a season. He would probably still be on high wages (as everyone else) but not on as crazy one as he was as a 100m+ supposed star signing. And if he would then turned out injury prone we would move on from him years ago much easier than we could in reality.

I know Mane wasn't an option in 2016 but my point is, if Barca were in the situation they were in back then and they decided to spend 35 million/ 41 million on 11 goal Sadio Mane of Southampton, people would have whined.

Sometimes a player who shows tremendous potential needs to be given a chance at a top club.

JamDav1982

Barca would never have signed Mane in 2016 even if MSN not there.

Was still too much arrogance about La Liga in comparison to EPL back then.

Raphinha being a Brazil international helps his case for Barca a lot as well in comparison to likes of Mane.

Keeping good relations with Deco long term can be a bonus also. He appears to have a good eye for a player and trying to uncover this hidden gems in Brazil.

serghei

I know Mane wasn't an option in 2016 but my point is, if Barca were in the situation they were in back then and they decided to spend 35 million/ 41 million on 11 goal Sadio Mane of Southampton, people would have whined.

Sometimes a player who shows tremendous potential needs to be given a chance at a top club.

This is why my only gripe with this transfer is the pricing. Raphinha is exactly the player you take a punt on.

Home of Barca Fans