11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

vlad

But then nothing is luck? To me we were very lucky to get by Chelsea in 2009 and they were very lucky troughout their 2012 cl campaign.
With peak xavi, iniesta and messi you just dont expect to depend on luck, let alone go out vs 10 players

Edit: we can give credit to chelsea 2009, top team, but 2012? Absolute disaster for barca.

Its dembele thread, its was not his fault so lets stop here!

Last edited:

Joan

Thanks for this... But for a player as involved in just about everything as Iniesta is its best to have a look at average position. It becomes very evident that Iniesta play quite a bit wider in the 4-4-2.

Look at his positioning here. He is playing a lot closer to the centre circle. As he should be.

Now look at his positioning in a 4-4-2.

This is seen in basically all the games but truth be told I don’t like his positioning in the 4-3-3 either because he is having to do the same thing for Suarez as Rakitic did for RW Messi. It works better now because Iniesta can play on the wing but you’d ant him more centrally.

I still think that Messi and Suarez can’t coexist if you want a balanced squad.

Good post. You are right he plays wider in 442, but that's normal and due to the positioning of Raki and Busq. I just wouldn't say (considering the differences) we have a central midfielder less. Iniesta's been playing like this for some time now, I doubt he'd move more centrally if it wasn't for Suarez. His last season's average positions say a lot.

IMO, the best way to prevent counters is to have a midfielder who can run and is considerably fast, like Roberto. I think that the midfield of Coutinho/Iniesta - Raki - Busq - Roberto would be the best choice. The question is where to fit Dembele.

M

MessiCam

Good post. You are right he plays wider in 442, but that's normal and due to the positioning of Raki and Busq. I just wouldn't say (considering the differences) we have a central midfielder less. Iniesta's been playing like this for some time now, I doubt he'd move more centrally if it wasn't for Suarez. His last season's average positions say a lot.

IMO, the best way to prevent counters is to have a midfielder who can run and is considerably fast, like Roberto. I think that the midfield of Coutinho/Iniesta - Raki - Busq - Roberto would be the best choice. The question is where to fit Dembele.

I on the other hand have no doubt he’d play more centrally with an out and out left winger. I am not a fan of any double pivot system because when the ball is lost in wide areas you’re up shit creek.

Alaves and Valencia had the perfect game plan for it. They only pressed when the ball was in wide areas which led to easy counters.

Dembélé will play as a RW.

JamDav1982

But then nothing is luck? To me we were very lucky to get by Chelsea in 2009 and they were very lucky troughout their 2012 cl campaign.

Luck is something out with anyones control.

Missing chances is not unlucky for Barca vs ten men. If anything Barca got some luck when Terry kicked and got red as that was nothing to do with Barca really.

JamDav1982

Playing with 3 central midfielders is better than 2. It always has been. There is a reason why teams who dominate possession tend to play with it.

Here are the xG’s per formation

Here are the xG’s per shot zone

This we’re better defensively is a complete myth.

What are you providing in that link that suggests Barca being better defensively is a complete myth?

From what I can see you provided a link that contradicts pretty much everything you had been claiming about 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3. Unless I am reading it wrong.

FCBfan22

Stop with that 4-4-2/4-3-3 nonsense, because we are playing neither of them. Valverde has invented some kind of hybrid, which clearly works well.

Anyway, on topic: I think that Dembele will make an appearance today around 65th minute for Messi or Suarez, if we are winning comfortably or for Paco for any other scenario.

M

MessiCam

What are you providing in that link that suggests Barca being better defensively is a complete myth?

From what I can see you provided a link that contradicts pretty much everything you had been claiming about 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3. Unless I am reading it wrong.
xGA/90 for all the 4-4-2 variations - 0.73 + 1.75 + 0.15 = 2.63

Divide that by 3 and you end up with an xGA/90 of 0.88.

Last post on the topic in this thread. Maybe we should start a topic for tactics.

JamDav1982

xGA/90 for all the 4-4-2 variations - 0.73 + 1.75 + 0.15 = 2.63

Divide that by 3 and you end up with an xGA/90 of 0.88.

Last post on the topic in this thread. Maybe we should start a topic for tactics.

Expected goals against for 4-4-2 is lower than 4-3-3 on that link while almost twice as likely to score.

Your maths is wrong for adding up the formations but from that it shows that the 4-4-2 played most often this season is the strongest defensively.

Also the link shows Barca with lowest xGA in top three leagues.

Last edited:

pregra

This guy is a flop, simple as that. Doesn’t bring anything to the table. Slips around and misses the simplest of passes over and over.

Home of Barca Fans