11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
What a deliberately convulted way to display some simple numbers, I’ll make it simple, Since your thick skull can’t process them properly.

1991-1999, A 9 year period, Barca won la liga 6 times, Messi was still a child in Argentina.
2009-2018, A 9 year period, Barca won la liga 7 times, Messi a main Barca player.

Messi made a modest 16% improvement of what we already accomplished between 1991-1999 in la liga, So quit being a slime ball, And learn some math.

Except 1991-1999 is an 8 year period and Barcelona actually won La Liga 5 times during that time - it becomes 6 once you include the 1990-1991 season

Moreover, from 2009-2018, Barcelona won La Liga 6 times. However, since Messi has been with the first team in 2005, Barcelona have won the Primera 8 times in the last 13 seasons and arguably denied 2 or 3 additional titles (2016-2017, 2013-2014 & 2011-2012) due to scandalous officiating from the RFEF

BBZ8800

What a deliberately convulted way to display some simple numbers, I’ll make it simple, Since your thick skull can’t process them properly.

1991-1999, A 9 year period, Barca won la liga 6 times, Messi was still a child in Argentina.
2009-2018, A 9 year period, Barca won la liga 7 times, Messi a main Barca player.

Messi made a modest 16% improvement of what we already accomplished between 1991-1999 in la liga, So quit being a slime ball, And learn some math.

Barca existed before Messi, but as I have said a few times in this topic, a current era is an absolute prime of Barca during our 120 years old history.
We have never been as successfull, as good and as rich as today.

And imo, we will fall in every aspect after Messi.
It is hard to tell whether for 1%, 10% or 50%.
But this was once in a lifetime era, not a norm.

For example, 2008-2018, in those 10 seasons when Messi was aged 21-31, Barca won 7 La Ligas out of 10.
If you check any era long 10 BEFORE 2006 or before 2008, you will never get even close numbers:
The only good era was early 90s with Cruijff and 90s with 6 titles (but 4 titles were Cruijff's).

On the other hand, for guys who think that Barca was always this good, a nice stat:
From 1960 to 1990, over 30 years, Barca won only 2 league titles.
And of course, 0 CL titles.
Lucho alone, Pep alone and Rijkaard alone were more successful than Barca over 30 years.
All those 3 coaches had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta (to some extent), though.

So, posts:
1. Barca was crap before Messi are not true.
2. but on the other hand, Barca was miles behind a current level before Messi. And as said before, imo, it is quite optimistic to expect similar levels after Messi.

Joan

Watched the match by chance last night. Now, seeing the highlights you could tell it was a fine performance, and in some sense it certainly was, but I can't help feeling he's the odd one out in the team. A lot of attacks went through his side and most of the time you could see Dembele trying to defend. Fun scenes. Man literally hates it. Yes, he tracks back, follows his man but with zero intensity. It's practically useless. No use of his pressing. Carried the ball well, though.

BBZ8800

Watched the match by chance last night. Now, seeing the highlights you could tell it was a fine performance, and in some sense it certainly was, but I can't help feeling he's the odd one out in the team. A lot of attacks went through his side and most of the time you could see Dembele trying to defend. Fun scenes. Man literally hates it. Yes, he tracks back, follows his man but with zero intensity. It's practically useless. No use of his pressing. Carried the ball well, though.

I also watched the game yesterday because of him.
When Dembele plays for Barca, he has a strange movement, for my taste, both on the ball and off the ball.
But then, since we have a complicated system, I thought that it could be the reason since he is new.
But he plays as equally as weird (or lost) even for France.

The thing with highlights is: you will see only moments when he gets the ball.
And when he gets the ball, he is usually good due to his individual skill.
But in times when he doesn't have the ball, he looks so strange.

In attack he often looks as if he doesn't understand what his teammates will do.
In defense, it looks as fake defending.
He is running and covering, and in theory, it looks like some sort of defending.
But in reality, it again looks as if he doesn't have a clue what to do, where to run, how to tackle etc.

The more I watch Dembele, the more is clear that he has huge individual technical potential.
But he seems to be lacking a lot in tactical sense, like on the ball and off the ball movement both in attack and defense, plus he doesn't know how to defend.
About his IQ and decisions, I still have doubts about his IQ.
Not only because of that interview...

He is still extremely raw.
Insane potential in some areas.
And in other areas he seems as he doesn't know to execute the simplest tactical duties.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Its has nothing do with with highlights , I watched the whole second half and Dembele had a very solid cameo.

Last edited:

Joan

Barca existed before Messi, but as I have said a few times in this topic, a current era is an absolute prime of Barca during our 120 years old history.
We have never been as successfull, as good and as rich as today.

And imo, we will fall in every aspect after Messi.
It is hard to tell whether for 1%, 10% or 50%.
But this was once in a lifetime era, not a norm.

For example, 2008-2018, in those 10 seasons when Messi was aged 21-31, Barca won 7 La Ligas out of 10.
If you check any era long 10 BEFORE 2006 or before 2008, you will never get even close numbers:
The only good era was early 90s with Cruijff and 90s with 6 titles (but 4 titles were Cruijff's).

On the other hand, for guys who think that Barca was always this good, a nice stat:
From 1960 to 1990, over 30 years, Barca won only 2 league titles.
And of course, 0 CL titles.
Lucho alone, Pep alone and Rijkaard alone were more successful than Barca over 30 years.
All those 3 coaches had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta (to some extent), though.

So, posts:
1. Barca was crap before Messi are not true.
2. but on the other hand, Barca was miles behind a current level before Messi. And as said before, imo, it is quite optimistic to expect similar levels after Messi.

Barca has certainly reached the peak of its history with Messi. But not just footballing wise, as we speak Barca is one of the most popular, most powerful teams in the world. With huge sponsorship deals and lots of money. It's practically impossible to predict precisely how good Barca will be in the future. But what I mean, now we've got resources to keep the level. Or at least stay close to it. A fall of 50%, let's say, would be on the board. With some luck, good planning, right coach, we can, and should, remain one of the best clubs in the world.

That said, our era is most likely not going to repeat itself, but I'm thinking of a team like Bayern, Atletico, that tier, not build around a certain star (like Messi or Ronaldo).

PhilS

He has a tendency to hold the ball too long, to try too many individual moves instead of more regularly finding the killer pass. So what? We need someone to try to generate offense, of course most attempts will not succeed. Dembele does succeed a lot. I don't know if he or Coutinho is second to Messi on this team. It is a bit frustrating that it seems like he could be quite a bit more effective if he could develop a better feel for the game. Whether or not that ever happens, I'm so glad he is out there making things happen as well as he is now.

On defense, he is not noticeably good or bad, I'm sure the team will force him to improve.

cro-man

When Dembele plays for Barca, he has a strange movement, for my taste, both on the ball and off the ball.
But then, since we have a complicated system, I thought that it could be the reason since he is new.
But he plays as equally as weird (or lost) even for France.

The thing with highlights is: you will see only moments when he gets the ball.
And when he gets the ball, he is usually good due to his individual skill.
But in times when he doesn't have the ball, he looks so strange.

In attack he often looks as if he doesn't understand what his teammates will do.
In defense, it looks as fake defending.
He is running and covering, and in theory, it looks like some sort of defending.
But in reality, it again looks as if he doesn't have a clue what to do, where to run, how to tackle etc.

The more I watch Dembele, the more is clear that he has huge individual technical potential.
But he seems to be lacking a lot in tactical sense, like on the ball and off the ball movement both in attack and defense, plus he doesn't know how to defend.
About his IQ and decisions, I still have doubts about his IQ.
Not only because of that interview...

He is still extremely raw.
Insane potential in some areas.
And in other areas he seems as he doesn't know to execute the simplest tactical duties.

I agree with this. He is extremly raw. His movements are wierd and funny. It looks like he is walking on ice:lol: He needs to improve his understanding with his teammates and his movements off and on the ball. He seems very predictable because of it.

Maybe we should send him to ronaldinho for some dancing practice:lol:

He is very talented it would be pity if something like this will stop him.

Potroh

Well, that's the constructive attitude!
Watching a game just to see a player you dislike or HATE, so you can spread your stranger than strangest brainwaves afterwards... Congrats!
Haven't you happen to be on the same track with Neymar?

Maxim4

Joachim Löw: We knew we were going to face Kylian Mbappé on the right side and Ousmane Dembélé was going to come in too.

Apparently, the Germans were afraid of the potential of Dembélé. The coach has instructed players to deal with the danger he represents.

vinni

Correct me if im wrong but from my experience they adjust the player ratings often in fifa. They will probably give Dembele a higher rating soon enough. I only play online season mode though

Donatello

Correct me if im wrong but from my experience they adjust the player ratings often in fifa. They will probably give Dembele a higher rating soon enough. I only play online season mode though

I am not sure, but afaik that's for online mode, offline ratings remains the same.

Home of Barca Fans