11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

henias

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] High risk, high reward and dembele plays a more direct style. Nothing surprising about pass succession. I would be more concern about whether he contributes heavily to the team.

If u are judging players by that list, then I would assume you want benzema in place of Dembele?

But taking a closer look at that list, I think you should be more worried about Suarez. :lol:

YodaMaster

During a World cup, and after a final, some journalists asked coaches in a studio: what do you say about Giroud?
He had zero gaols, zero memorable movements.
Why is he playing?

Coaches replied: his main duty is not to score goals or to dribble and make moves for Youtube videos.
His main purposes are:
1. to have 2 defenders on his back which will leave more free space and less defenders for main threats: Griezmann and Mbappe.
2. when they boot a long ball upfield, he can receive the ball with the back turned to a goal, hold on the ball and wait a few seconds until Griezmann and Mbappe get into better positions
3. when an opponent's park a bus, you can throw crosses at him (for headers)
4. he is good in defending

If you don't have Giroud and you have a better player, like Dembele, it is actually harder for Griezmann and Mbappe because he will have less Cbs on his back.

So, even though a player like him offers zero Barca's DNA traits, in 2018', a Cf like him is more useful for almost every team than a pure Barca's DNA Cf (Gabriel Jesus for example).
Not everything needs to be related with awesome passing, awesome technique, and awesome movement.
You always need some players to do this job in attack (Cf), and players with similar, less fancy duties in midfield (Rakitic, Van Bommel, Cocu etc).

Again, there is a reason why in the last 10 Champions league finals, in 9 occasions winning teams had a good, old, true, classic Cf:
2009: Barcelona, Etoo
2010: Inter, Diego Milito&Etoo
2011: Barcelona: -
2012: Chelsea: Drogba
2013: Bayern: Mandzukic
2014: Real, Benzema
2015: Barcelona, Suarez
2016: Real, Benzema
2017: Real, Benzema
2018: Real, Benzema

2014: Germany, Klose + Argentina, Higuain
2016: Portugal, CR7 + France, Giroud
2018: Giroud, Mandzukic, Lukaku, Kane

So CR7 and Benzema are "good old, true, classic Cf" now ? Lol. In your virtual reality maybe, in real world they aren't. You'll never stop lying I guess.

Btw, I also doubt Messi as a false nine would work today. He became a pure playmaker with time and he's even less mobile now than what he used to be. He needs to have strikers (more than 1 preferably) in front of him to feed them with his crazy passing quality. And none of Dembélé & Malcom is a WC finisher.

Last edited:

SG-7

So CR7 and Benzema are "good old, true, classic Cf" now ? Lol. In your virtual reality maybe, in real world they aren't. You'll never stop lying I guess.

Btw, I also doubt Messi as a false nine would work today. He became a pure playmaker with time and he's even less mobile now than what he used to be. He needs to have strikers (more than 1 preferably) in front of him to feed them with his crazy passing quality. And none of Dembélé & Malcom is a WC finisher.

Dembele is young, so the ability to learn world class finishing is not lost.

Also what i noticed is that alot of Demeble's goals (for barca at least) have come from the right side of the field. He's got a killer right foot shot that's for sure. Maybe something to look at improving further even though hes suppose to be ambidextrous lol.

BBZ8800

Ok, majority of these Cfs are a classic 9s.
Some like Benzema and CR7 are close to that.
Or at least closer to that than Gabriel Jesus, light Cfs, of winger attackers who could play as CFs (Dembele, Malcom).

So, all of these players mentioned above:
1. are capable of playing as a central Cf, not as wingers
2. are often in or around the box all the time, not running too wide or too deep to receive the ball
3. in terms of physical skills, ALL of them are 185cm or taller (what a coincidence). All of them are somewhat physically stronger and not lightweight guys (like Jesus)
4. all of them are good with feet
5. all of them are able to score some headers after long balls/crosses as a plan B, when needed (unlike our forwards and Jesus)

So, my point is:
1. no one sane plays with a false 9 in 2018 anymore
2. all current Cfs in all big teams (Psg Cavani, Juve Mandzukic, Roma Džeko, Real Benzema, Barcelona Suarez, Atletico Costa, Man Utd Lukaku, Chelsea Morata/Giroud, Tottenham Kane, Bayern Lewandowski) are either good, old, tall and strong Cfs or some hybrids between good, old, tall and strong Cfs and modern Cfs who create and help in linkup play (Benzema).
None of them is Pep's type of a Cf: a false 9 (Messi), or a short, physically weaker technical Cf who moves a lot (Jesus)

Basically, the only team who don't play with a good old Cf is: surprise, surprise, Pep.
And Liverpool with some hybrid in Firmino.

So, imo, we should let Pep do whatever he wants and he can fail in the same fashion over and over in Europe.
We should evolve closer to 90% of OTHER European teams.

In that sense, my post is:
1. Messi can't play as a false 9 anymore because
-- false 9 doesn't work anymore
-- Messi moves and runs even less than 7 years ago
2. Dembele can't play as a Cf since he physically don't possess some skills, plus he moves differently
3. Malcom, probably more suitable than Messi and Dembele but miles away from Cfs which all other big teams are currently using

In that sense, when we will be buying a new Cf:
1. no false 9 guys
2. no wingers turned into Cfs
3. no short Cfs in a style of Jesus/Romario
4. no counterattacking Cfs who drop deep (Werner) etc

When we look at it that way, there aren't too many options at all for a true CF currently.

Last edited:

Judoman

Werner is to young to be labeled as "counterattacking CF". Once again you fail to deliver suggestions. The CF situation on the market is even worst, than CM one.

BBZ8800

Werner is to young to be labeled as "counterattacking CF". Once again you fail to deliver suggestions. The CF situation on the market is even worst, than CM one.

Werner's displays at a World cup as a Cf against parked buses were either:
1. So bad that he could never come even close to Barca
2. Or, in the best case scenario, he needs a few years of developing and improving in a style more similar to ours before coming close to Barca's level

You asked for a solution: keep playing Suarez.
Even though that is not a perfect option, it is still miles better than all other current available options.

Laplacian

2. Or, in the best case scenario, he needs a few years of developing and improving in a style more similar to ours before coming close to Barca's level

Even though that is not a perfect option, it is still miles better than all other current available options.

You do realize the entire German team was crap, right? You're just making up bull shit, and how does "striker thats bad against parked buses" translate to "counter-attacking" CF. That's a huge logical leap.

If you haven't watched Werner regularly then you just need to shut up. lol

Judoman

Well i agree 100%. But we still need CF for the future. I bet Suarez would be in hell of a better shape if he had a competition in the club.

Home of Barca Fans