11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

xXKonan

literally did nothing in any of those
He contributed 3 goals and 7 assists in 17 games in La Liga.

One assist in 3 Copa Del Rey games.

And scored a goal vs Chelsea in the CL game.

All this while being injured during the entire first half of the season.

FCB1987

Banned
He contributed 3 goals and 7 assists in 17 games in La Liga.

One assist in 3 Copa Del Rey games.

And scored a goal vs Chelsea in the CL game.

All this while being injured during the entire first half of the season.

-we didn't win CL so idk why you mentioned that
-his league contributions were after the title was virtually over
-one assist in a 5-0 win in the round of 16 is hardly a key impact

xXKonan

-we didn't win CL so idk why you mentioned that
-his league contributions were after the title was virtually over
-one assist in a 5-0 win in the round of 16 is hardly a key impact
Ahh so it's "Because we had the title wrapped up" now to discount his contributions. Dembele provided much needed pace on the right hand side and technicality that has been missing for the entire first half of the season.

We got by with the 4-4-2 during that time but the team was one paced and we didn't have much width bar Alba/Roberto/Semedo. heck during Girona game away, they played a HL but Messi and Suarez were slower than dog shit trying to exploit it heck it was the same deal in a lot of games last season that we lacked the pace and width to really exploit certain tactics.

The Roma game was crying out for someone like Dembele to come on sooner. But nope Valverde thought it would be a brilliant idea to wait until fucking 80 mins gone to sub on Gomes who was slow like the rest of the team was in that game.

Coutinho and Dembele added a lot to this team in the second half of the season in a number of ways.

Joan

Some will irrationally hate on him, others will defend him no matter what and it leads to nowhere since he didn't even play.

Considering his injury, had a fine season. Not more to it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Let's see how he does next season.

Mbappe is irrelevant here as he wanted to go to PSG. He even said he talked with Pep and really wanted to work with him, but his heart told him to stay in France.

Btw, he should come back earlier. Didn't have pre-season last time and now he should at least cut his vacations short by one week and show some fight and commitment to improve and work on his weaknesses. Won't get a starting spot right away.

This season is make or break for Dembele. He either takes some steps forward or is sold in 2019. Just how it is at Barca. Nothing is given to you, he has to work for it and show more of his talent.

Last edited:

FCB1987

Banned
Ahh so it's "Because we had the title wrapped up" now to discount his contributions. Dembele provided much needed pace on the right hand side and technicality that has been missing for the entire first half of the season.

We got by with the 4-4-2 during that time but the team was one paced and we didn't have much width bar Alba/Roberto/Semedo. heck during Girona game away, they played a HL but Messi and Suarez were slower than dog shit trying to exploit it heck it was the same deal in a lot of games last season that we lacked the pace and width to really exploit certain tactics.

The Roma game was crying out for someone like Dembele to come on sooner. But nope Valverde thought it would be a brilliant idea to wait until fucking 80 mins gone to sub on Gomes who was slow like the rest of the team was in that game.

Coutinho and Dembele added a lot to this team in the second half of the season in a number of ways.

how does the fact that the title was wrapped up when he started contributing not discount how much he helped us win it?

I was responding to someone saying how Dembouz "won" 3 trophies this year, I wasn't saying that he played terrible but just that he didn't really play a part in helping to win any of them

BBZ8800

The fact that some of you masturbate to the thought of young players failing is amazing.

I've seen your posts. In 2014 you did nothing but shit on Neymar and even after he was crucial in our treble win, and our la liga win 2015/2016 you still treated him like he was Denilson and Robinho. You don't care about objectivity, facts, or whatever it is you pretend to care about - you care about masturbating to the failures of players you have a strong bias against. It doesn't matter if your criticisms don't fit reality, because you'll just make up some bullshit to make it true in your eyes anyways.

"spark in his eyes"

lol the fuck? Yeah, no thanks. Go "debate" someone else.

I never liked Neymar's style of play and even today I think that he ruined more things than what he brought.
You will say that we won a 1 Cl with him.
On the other hand, we would have probably won 1 CL in 4 years with or without him.
Were we weaker this season without him in a team? Imo, no.
In terms of beauty, we were uglier.
In terms of trophies, we were better without him.

Regarding how he was a key in winning a CL, and what, we should forgive him for all other things?
With that logic, Rakitic was very good in winning a CL, and none of you is ever allowed to say a bad word against him, even is he plays bad.

Do you get my point?
I never liked him as our leader, nor was I too impressed with our results with him.
All in all, we could have survived without him.

About Dembele, it may sound as hate or wanting a player to fail.
Imo, this forum in general is too positive and too romantic.
If a player is good, we will hype as a very good.
If a player is average, we will hype him as good at least.
If a player is bad, he will steal get some: but he is young, or similar alibies.

About Dembele, that's just my personal opinion, and since this is forum:
I am watching football for 25-30-ish (ok, I am not the only older-ish user) here, but just my opinion is that Dembele won't reach those heights which majority are expecting.
There is (imo) no way that he will turn into top 5-10 players in the world.
I can see him as some Alexis, Walcott and similar.

1. his skills are good, but not for Barca's style
2. his IQ remains questionale for me (I see replies: Messi was not Einstein. Well, he was Messi. Unless if you are Messi, you will need at least some IQ like Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Etoo, Henry, Villa to make it here. Dembele doesn't have it, imo).
3. and further, something bothers me in a psychological way regarding his body language, determination, bravery, "X-factor". Something is "wrong" for the highest level.

Further, you see this as hate, but I, as Barca's fan see a current Dembele as:
1. we splashed 150M on him. A mistake in terms of finances.
2. we bought him and not some better fits. A mistake in terms of rooster.
3. Now we are "stuck" with him for 2-3 years until he either explodes or gets sold, and until then (if he won't explode), we need to lose time on this "project".
4. in terms of trophies, since I don't think that he is "the man", we will again lose time, seasons and trophies until we buy someone else and until we improve

So, you see, if you believe in a guy, you see only: but he can improve, let's wait, let's see, why are you against him?
For me, I have 90% gave up on him already to reach those insane world class levels.
Now, we can only wait to see whether he will improve to Sanchez-Walcott levels.
If not, we'll sell him.
If yes, we'll still sell him.

Now you will ask: but why, don't you see his talent?
Again, it is not about talent.
1. his style doesn't suit us
2. he is out of "match" for long periods whenever he plays
3. his defending
4. for me: IQ
5. mental strength, not brave enough
6. too young and too inexperienced for Barca, and unless you have Mbappe's/Messi's skills, we usually won't have time to wait for a player for too long
7. we paid him 150M. We can't wait 4 years until he starts to perform, we will have to give up on him.
8. EV doesn't rate him. Deschamps didn't play him

I personally think that we will sell him in a summer 2019, or 2020 and then we'll just try with another "attempt", as always.
There is a tiny chance that he will have a crazy good next season and turns his future here, but again, since we have EV, since we play a style that doesn't suit him, and (in my eyes), considering his IQ and "a lack of spark/bravery" in the eyes to turn into a key player of a team like Barca, I wouldn't put too much money on him.

That deosn't mean that he won't bang 10 goals and have 10 assist next season and offer 2-3 actions for Youtube per match.
But remember, we paid him 150M. We wanted the new Neymar, Ronaldinho, Etoo.
And the board and sponsors will soon ask for a new Ronaldinho/Etoo.
Whether Dembele will be the new Etoo or will we turn to some new target in 12 Months, we will find out in upcoming season.

But don't expect that he will get new chances unless if he insanely improves in the next season.

** I am trying to avoid this topic as much as possible, since "Dembele" is the softest spot for majority of our fans.
And writing a post like mine is a huge insult.

** For example, I have never said that we will sell Coutinho soon. He is on a totally different level of fitting to a team, end product, experience, bravery, being a leader besides Messi etc.
I know, he is older. But again, we didn't buy Dembele to wait 3-4 years on him.

Btw, [MENTION=12215]Ursegor[/MENTION] said the same about Dembele.
Imo, that means a lot. But we will see soon.

Sanchez is actually a very apt example, I called him that when he first joined. His ceiling is just about that (which isn't too bad but not € 150M worth obviously) and his Barca story will most likely end just like his, too. At some point he'll figure it out and have a somewhat good season but ultimately he'll leave a lot to be desired and be replaced come 2 - 3 seasons by someone else.

Last edited:

Messi983

He wanted Paris and he got Paris.

Move on, he is unavalible for the next 4 years.

Yeah. It's 5 years actually, because he'll sign his contract with PSG this season. Well, probably already did.

But to be fair they will never let his contract to run out (or him having just one year left on the contract so he'd have more negotiation power). They'll just give him a new contract every 2 years or so. The only way for him leaving before he's 26-27 is if Nasser leaves PSG or if Mbappe will fail dramatically over the next few years which is not likely but stranger things have happened.

khaled_a_d

Yeah. It's 5 years actually, because he'll sign his contract with PSG this season. Well, probably already did.

But to be fair they will never let his contract to run out (or him having just one year left on the contract so he'd have more negotiation power). They'll just give him a new contract every 2 years or so. The only way for him leaving before he's 26-27 is if Nasser leaves PSG or if Mbappe will fail dramatically over the next few years which is not likely but stranger things have happened.

Well, he will have a chance to do a Rabiot if he wants. But that is a huge if, I think he is just happy there.
Also, at some point PSG will probably come back being a "normal" big club and they would sell if a player asked for it and great price is offered, but they will need to establish themselves more as big club first aka win CL. just like chelsea did before them, Milan back in the day etc

Home of Barca Fans