11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

PhilS

Dembele has shown multiple times this year that he can come in as a sub and make a huge impact. When Malcom has come in as a sub, his record is nowhere near as good, really quite mediocre. Dembele had medical clearance to play, which was not decided by Valverde. Of course Dembele was the choice to come in as a sub vs. Lyon.

Tekkers

Dembele has shown multiple times this year that he can come in as a sub and make a huge impact. When Malcom has come in as a sub, his record is nowhere near as good, really quite mediocre. Dembele had medical clearance to play, which was not decided by Valverde. Of course Dembele was the choice to come in as a sub vs. Lyon.

exactly. it was the obvious risk to take and it paid off for barca. he's proven time and time again that he's the second most important attacker on this team

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
exactly. it was the obvious risk to take and it paid off for barca. he's proven time and time again that he's the second most important attacker on this team

The moment he came in you could sense that we became a different team. Along with Messi and Arthur, he's the most important player in our squad; at least when it comes to being a dominant side. No else provides that added dimension that he brings. He's just that important.

FCB1987

Banned
The moment he came in you could sense that we became a different team. Along with Messi and Arthur, he's the most important player in our squad; at least when it comes to being a dominant side. No else provides that added dimension that he brings. He's just that important.

:alba::suarez1::mats:

putogusiluz8

The Pale One

I know man. But I'm telling you, without Dembele, we are too slow and predictable offensively. He is like a that final drop of chemical that causes the solution to react and blow up. Just adds an element of volatility that we don't otherwise possess. We need him. His zest, speed, creativity.

Leo_Messi

[MENTION=21709]Havesaks[/MENTION]

No point having this discussion any longer when Valverde did the talking for me at his presser earlier today.

Basically said that both he and the staff new very well that Dembélé had a small injury and that he was not fully ready but according to him it was worth risking him against Lyon.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb.../461056522443/valverde-arriesgar-dembele.html

Never understood in the first place why I had this discussion when it was painfully obvious what had occurred from the very beginning.

Leo_Messi

Thats why I called it a caculated risk.

Nothing calculated about risking an injured player. Hence Valverde taking responsibility publicly for having risked Dembélé and caused his injury. Pretty simple and straightforward and painfully clear for everyone with well-functioning brain cells.

Call it what you want, it was not exactly the smartest decision to make. That should be beyond any doubt now.

Last edited:

Havesaks

Nothing calculated about risking an injured player. Hence Valverde taking responsibility publicly for having risked Dembélé and caused his injury. Pretty simple and straightforward and painfully clear for everyone with well-functioning brain cells.

Call it what you want, it was not exactly the smartest decision to make. That should be beyond any doubt now.

Maybe not in hindsight, but at the time it was reasonable. A risk, but The consquences could potentially have been way worse. And for reasons i have stated before, Malcolms expected contribution would have been shit. Thats why Ev risked dembele. Geez.

Taking responsebility, doesnt mean one should be blamed. He took a risk, that made sense. Chl and treble was on the line. So no reason to witchhunt him.

Leo_Messi

Maybe not in hindsight, but at the time it was reasonable. A risk, but The consquences could potentially have been way worse. And for reasons i have stated before, Malcolms expected contribution would have been shit. Thats why Ev risked dembele. Geez.

Taking responsebility, doesnt mean one should be blamed. He took a risk, that made sense. Chl and treble was on the line. So no reason to witchhunt him.

Reasonable in the eye of Valverde. Very few others. Just reread this thread or people's reactions on social media, local media etc. Certainly not an objective fact. "Reasonable" is certainly the wrong word to use.

The objective fact on the other hand, as admitted by Valverde, was that he risked an injured Dembélé. It is that simple.

Could, would etc. We could have won that leg 8-1 combined and nobody would have blinked an eye. 15 minutes of bad play out of 160 minutes of total dominance. We would have won that game regardless. LOL, at the "Malcom's contribution would have been shit" comment. Already gave you examples of why that would not necessary (at all) have been the case (most likely the opposite as proven before by my examples) and even more so when Dembélé was unfit and injured going into the game.

No need to tell me why Valverde shat his pants and risked Dembélé only for him to potentially miss 1 month.:lol:

He admitted to being wrong and took full responsibility. How difficult can this be to understand? I don't get it. You have his own words. I know that you love Valverde but this is beyond stupid now.

As other users rightly pointed out in this very thread (from what I could quickly see), Valverde would have had zero problems risking a player like Malcom in such a game, had his management of him been significantly better. Again you are telling me that a 21 year old Malcom that just had a MoM performance against RM 6 weeks prior (before disappearing from the surface of the earth), while up to that said game having disappeared from said surface as well, could not have created danger and stretched the pitch and made runs without the ball with 25 minutes left against a tired Lyon team? The same guy that has scored 4 goals in 4 games against pretty much the exact same Lyon team. That BTW was extremely average in both games. The combined 5-1 victory (over 2 legs) flattered them which is saying something.

Anyway last comment in this discussion as there is little more to add other than hoping that Dembélé will have as quick a return as possible and that he will return stronger and NOT commit a similar unnecessary mistake due to shitting his pants.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans