11 - Neymar Jr. - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Think it dumber to complain about a world class forward for being unselfish. So it didn't work this time; Messi wasn't anticipating the pass. I'd rather my forwards be unselfish and fail, than be selfish and fail.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I felt he was very wasteful, certainly not a goat worthy performance. Hoping for better next game.

He did miss a few easy chances, also, he definitely needs to start "seing" Suarez more.

Other than that he was good.

Also, let's try and not start using goat for everyone, there's only just the one :messi:

Richard.H

Think it dumber to complain about a world class forward for being unselfish. So it didn't work this time; Messi wasn't anticipating the pass. I'd rather my forwards be unselfish and fail, than be selfish and fail.

Yep, totally smart how he passes to Messi nearly every time he has the chance...

A "world class forward" has the ability to easily identify if the near post is available for a shot. In fact that's one of the basic fundamentals when playing as a forward. You're always looking to see if the near post is open to shoot. In this case it was as shown by the gif. It's always favorable to shoot there since not much angle to worry about.

Huge Neymar fan but he should've shot the ball and probably had the chance to score an absolute peach of a goal. I'm not sure why he loves to pass to Messi so much. Sometimes it completely hinders a play and heck even Messi is not expecting his passes most of the time.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Yep, totally smart how he passes to Messi nearly every time he has the chance...

A "world class forward" has the ability to easily identify if the near post is available for a shot. In fact that's one of the basic fundamentals when playing as a forward. You're always looking to see if the near post is open to shoot. In this case it was as shown by the gif. It's always favorable to shoot there since not much angle to worry about.

Huge Neymar fan but he should've shot the ball and probably had the chance to score an absolute peach of a goal. I'm not sure why he loves to pass to Messi so much. Sometimes it completely hinders a play and heck even Messi is not expecting his passes most of the time.

He doesn't "pass to Messi nearly every time he has the chance" hyperbole much? They look for each other to combine, just like you'd want them to do. All three of our forwards are unselfish, and collaborative, and creative, and that's exactly how it should be. Definitely beats the alternative.

Just because it didn't work this time it doesn't mean it was a bad or wrong decision, it just didn't work. He had options and chose one, there's really no need to over-analyse and over-complicate things.

Wasn't not over a month ago people were here bitching about Neymar being selfish when he took chances and failed instead of passing. Selfish when he takes the shot and dumb when he passes, but only if it doesn't work...

Richard.H

He doesn't "pass to Messi nearly every time he has the chance" hyperbole much? They look for each other to combine, just like you'd want them to do. All three of our forwards are unselfish, and collaborative, and creative, and that's exactly how it should be. Definitely beats the alternative.

Just because it didn't work this time it doesn't mean it was a bad or wrong decision, it just didn't work. He had options and chose one, there's really no need to over-analyse and over-complicate things.

Wasn't not over a month ago people were here bitching about Neymar being selfish when he took chances and failed instead of passing. Selfish when he takes the shot and dumb when he passes, but only if it doesn't work...

I'm actually one of the few members here who defends Neymar even when he plays noticeably bad, like during that bad spell in March.

I'm just saying what I see out of the 90 minutes I watch every weekends. He looks for Messi way too much. You could even see him constantly looking up searching for Messi. It's as if Dani Alves gave him the same disease. Nearly every match I also see a couple of passes to Messi (by Neymar) where it completely catches Messi off guard.

Of course I do realize it's a very minor complaint since he has been scoring goals and passing much more than dribbling straight into defenders. He has improved immensely this season, I'm just pointing out the negative things I've noticed since it's a forum and a forum is always open for discussion.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I'm actually one of the few members here who defends Neymar even when he plays noticeably bad, like during that bad spell in March.

I'm just saying what I see out of the 90 minutes I watch every weekends. He looks for Messi way too much. You could even see him constantly looking up searching for Messi. It's as if Dani Alves gave him the same disease. Nearly every match I also see a couple of passes to Messi (by Neymar) where it completely catches Messi off guard.

Of course I do realize it's a very minor complaint since he has been scoring goals and passing much more than dribbling straight into defenders. He has improved immensely this season, I'm just pointing out the negative things I've noticed since it's a forum and a forum is always open for discussion.

I like that they look for each other. I also like that Suarez does the same. It's refreshing to me to see 3 players of their caliber be as collaborative and unselfish with each other. Yes sometimes that means they do it to a fault, but I think I'd rather them err in the side of unselfishness, than the opposite.

Just imagine, the longer they play together all 3 of them, the deeper the understanding and chemistry will be. We're in for a treat the next 2-3 seasons.

G

Gasgas

He needs to start seeing other players as well, Messi isnt the only player on the team

Neeraj

I agree with both the sentiments here tbh. I can see where the complaints of looking for Messi too much are coming from, because it is true. But I can also appreciate that he has been fantastic for us overall...It's just that Messi being the GOAT, manages to do something positive with the ball that nobody else could even when Neymar picks him out at the wrong time/position...now if he could slightly tweak this aspect of his game to have a wider creative view including other players, that would be great for everyone.

Ekul

I agree with both the sentiments here tbh. I can see where the complaints of looking for Messi too much are coming from, because it is true. But I can also appreciate that he has been fantastic for us overall...It's just that Messi being the GOAT, manages to do something positive with the ball that nobody else could even when Neymar picks him out at the wrong time/position...now if he could slightly tweak this aspect of his game to have a wider creative view including other players, that would be great for everyone.

Every player is 'guilty' of looking for Messi, and it's not particularly a bad thing because he's the greatest player of all time and we want him on the ball as much as possible.

Neeraj

Every player is 'guilty' of looking for Messi, and it's not particularly a bad thing because he's the greatest player of all time and we want him on the ball as much as possible.

It is, if there is a clear better alternative available. I agree the balance between getting him on the ball a lot and not passing to him all the time irrespective of position is not easy to achieve, but I guess he could start with the more obvious situations and eventually he will figure it out as he matures.

Funnily enough, this is actually one of Messi's strongest points - decision making. He knows exactly how good he is, and very often he decides to take the shot himself or use runners as a decoy; however - he never seems to get carried away, and always seems to make the right decision to pass (or not) while you watch him. It's not something people talk about but I am constantly amazed at how he always seems to do what we (sitting with a birds eye view on the TV) hope he does. Absolutely unbelievable.

BBZ8800

Just for some perspective:

Neymar has scored 31 goals in 42 matches. That's a rate of 0.738 goals a match. Samuel Eto'o's best strike rate for Barca was 34 goals in 48 matches in the 2005/2006 season. That's only a rate of 0.708 goals a match.

And Eto'o played in the center of the pitch, whereas Neymar is positioned much wider so you'd expect fewer goals from him.

Of course, I am not criticizing Eto'o. The point is that he is the best striker Barcelona has had in recent years, and Neymar is outscoring him from a wide position.

People should stop with this, seriously.

Again, in 2004-05 Season, Barca scored 73 Goals, and Real scored 71 Goals in 38 League matches.
In 2005-06 Season, Barca scored 80 Goals, and Real scored 70 Goals in 38 matches.

In 2012, Barca scored 114 Goals, Real 121 Goals in 38 matches.
In 2013, Barca scored 115 Goals, and Real 100 League goals in 38 matches.
In 2014, Barca scored 103 Goals, Real 104 Goals.

Barca and Real combined:
2005: 144 League Goals
2006: 150 League Goals

2012: 235 League Goals, lol
2013: 215 League Goals
2014: 207 League Goals
2015: 190 Goals with 5 rounds to go, so that will be around 210-215-220 again
-- that is around 50% inflation compared to 2005 and 2006

So, do you thing that Barca's and Real's players were that poor and average in the past, because current players score 30-50% more than them, or something just happened in the overall ratio of strength in big vs smaller teams (Barca and Real vs the rest)

In 2005, when we won the first title with Ronaldinho-Etoo-Guily:
-- Etoo scored 25 League goals
-- Ronaldinho scored 9 Goals (lol, with penalty kicks and free kicks)
-- Guily scored 11 Goals

So, if currently Messi and Cristiano are banging 40-50 League goals per Season, and when even a winger Neymar is banging 20-25 League goals per Season, that should imply that current Neymar is already a few levels above Ronaldinho in his prime.

That is just lol, seriously.

Current players are awesome players, but let's not exaggerate.
La liga has become a statpadding championship and everyone should be slightly more cautions with "tremendous" goals stats from La liga in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Stric

People should stop with this, seriously.

Again, in 2004-05 Season, Barca scored 73 Goals, and Real scored 71 Goals in 38 League matches.
In 2005-06 Season, Barca scored 80 Goals, and Real scored 70 Goals in 38 matches.

In 2012, Barca scored 114 Goals, Real 121 Goals in 38 matches.
In 2013, Barca scored 115 Goals, and Real 100 League goals in 38 matches.
In 2014, Barca scored 103 Goals, Real 104 Goals.

Barca and Real combined:
2005: 144 League Goals
2006: 150 League Goals

2012: 235 League Goals, lol
2013: 215 League Goals
2014: 207 League Goals
2015: 190 Goals with 5 rounds to go, so that will be around 210-215-220 again
-- that is around 50% inflation compared to 2005 and 2006

So, do you thing that Barca's and Real's players were that poor and average in the past, because current players score 30-50% more than them, or something just happened in the overall ratio of strength in big vs smaller teams (Barca and Real vs the rest)

In 2005, when we won the first title with Ronaldinho-Etoo-Guily:
-- Etoo scored 25 League goals
-- Ronaldinho scored 9 Goals (lol, with penalty kicks and free kicks)
-- Guily scored 11 Goals

So, if currently Messi and Cristiano are banging 40-50 League goals per Season, and when even a winger Neymar is banging 20-25 League goals per Season, that should imply that current Neymar is already a few levels above Ronaldinho in his prime.

That is just lol, seriously.

Current players are awesome players, but let's not exaggerate.
La liga has become a statpadding championship and everyone should be slightly more cautions with "tremendous" goals stats from La liga in the last 5 years.

Wonderful post. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans