10 - Lionel Messi - V6

soul24rage

messi 08-12 was definitely more joyful to watch. That dribbling ability was imo his truest GOAT form, and there will come a player one day who will surpass him in the next 40 years, but his absolute peak form 10-12 in Barca, i don't know if anyone will reach that in this century. He scored 91 goals + 22 assists in 2012, that was really something else. First player to win b'dor without major trophies?

of the top of my head, it would be michael owen 2001

FinBarcelonafan

The way i see it:

2009-2011 Messi

Dribbling+Acceleration:10/10
Finishing:8,5/10
Passing+Vision:8,5/10
Free Kicks:6/10
Overall IQ:9/10

2012-2013 Messi

Dribbling+Acceleration:9,5/10
Finishing:10/10
Passing+Vision:9/10
Free Kicks:7/10
Overall IQ:9/10

2015-2016 Messi

Dribbling+Acceleration:9/10
Finishing:9/10
Passing and vision:9,5/10
Free kicks:7/10
Overall IQ:9,5/10

2017-2019 Messi

Dribbling+Acceleration:8/10
Finishing:8,5/10
Passing and vision:9/10
Free kicks:9/10
Overall IQ:10/10

I think his passing is the best right now. He wasn't as good 5 years ago.

eaman

I think his passing is the best right now. He wasn't as good 5 years ago.

His passing was as good five years ago he just didn't play the playmaker role as much so we didn't see as many passes. I don't think you really improve passing. Great passers are born that way and have always had it

FCB1987

Banned
Depends if he is or isn't - or if there is doubt.

A player from the 20th mid-century doesn't hold a candle to a 21th century generational talent like Messi. There isn't really that much to discuss on this matter. You could argue that Pele was the most dominant, talented etc player of all time, but he surely wasn't the best. Those 3 WC titles would never have been won in this century by him and his brazil side.

It's only fair to compare athletes in terms of how good they are in their respective era. Otherwise, if there are major advances in sports science, you could say the same when comparing Messi or his Barcelona team to a side 50 years from now.

There's probably many too teams today who could beat the 1950's Madrid for example but nobody would call the modern teams better.

eaman

It's only fair to compare athletes in terms of how good they are in their respective era. Otherwise, if there are major advances in sports science, you could say the same when comparing Messi or his Barcelona team to a side 50 years from now.

There's probably many too teams today who could beat the 1950's Madrid for example but nobody would call the modern teams better.

Ya but how much can sports science improve 50 years from now. I'm fairly sure it won't be anywhere near how much it has improved from the 1950's to today. I mean players can't really get much fitter can they? Or there can't be many more different tactical formations available to new coaches can there? Some great players in the older era had an advantage over great players nowadays. If you were very fit back then you were likely to play against players who were less fit or even injured on many occasions. Today you don't play unless your fit and injury free

Last edited:

raki

Anyone knows about any data regarding matches/minutes played regarding this season including all competitions, club/country?

Nnot only for Messi.

Horatio

You're welcome
His passing was as good five years ago he just didn't play the playmaker role as much so we didn't see as many passes. I don't think you really improve passing. Great passers are born that way and have always had it

What? You nuts? Ofcourse you improve. Its not just the technique but also recognizing situations and the spaces when certain passes will work or not; how much power you put behind it, spin on it, where on the ball you hit it. Footbal players like in any other job/skill build up a database of different combinations, permutations on different situations and set-ups on the field. This is called experience.

eaman

What? You nuts? Ofcourse you improve. Its not just the technique but also recognizing situations and the spaces when certain passes will work or not; how much power you put behind it, spin on it, where on the ball you hit it. Footbal players like in any other job/skill build up a database of different combinations, permutations on different situations and set-ups on the field. This is called experience.

Ya but the actual pass itself doesn't really improve. Go look at some his passing from 10,11 and it's just as good as his passing nowadays. Great passers have always had it

Xtroverto

messi 08-12 was definitely more joyful to watch. That dribbling ability was imo his truest GOAT form, and there will come a player one day who will surpass him in the next 40 years, but his absolute peak form 10-12 in Barca, i don't know if anyone will reach that in this century. He scored 91 goals + 22 assists in 2012, that was really something else. First player to win b'dor without major trophies?

Three are quite a few who has won ballon d'or without winning anything important, just by being the journalist favourite was enough. Beginning with Stanley Matthews having won nothing ahead of Di Stefano, or for eample Oleg Blokhin winning in 1975 for a few impressive games in the cup winners cup and a european super cup game.

Home of Barca Fans