10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Riordon

Guys, nobody doubts that Messi individually is the best player ever. But as Simone said and Van Gaal somehow backs him up, I would prefer Ronaldo for my teams with Pep possession based teams being the expection.

I wrote my points above and I would like all to remember that Messi is a tactical nightmare to fit in.

I’m not talking about him as a dictator but when he plays in a free role without running and pressing then we have to play a medium/low bloke 442 when we are pressed.

Ronaldo can create without having the ball with his runs. Messi drops deep to receive. Remember this when we are saying he is getting a lack of service, we’ll yeah he isn’t running into position but waiting for the ball to his feet.

To be honest, I’m not so worried with Messi retiring. We will be fine and will be able to revert back to 4-3-3 with two true wingers and a 9. And a RB who isn’t expected to play RW too. And a RCM who shouldn’t run double the amount. See the pattern? Whole team adapt to Messi.

Not doubting individual quality but talking tactics

malvolio

Guys, nobody doubts that Messi individually is the best player ever. But as Simone said and Van Gaal somehow backs him up, I would prefer Ronaldo for my teams with Pep possession based teams being the expection.

I wrote my points above and I would like all to remember that Messi is a tactical nightmare to fit in.

I’m not talking about him as a dictator but when he plays in a free role without running and pressing then we have to play a medium/low bloke 442 when we are pressed.

Ronaldo can create without having the ball with his runs. Messi drops deep to receive. Remember this when we are saying he is getting a lack of service, we’ll yeah he isn’t running into position but waiting for the ball to his feet.

what a load of shite, really :lol:

juventus reshuffled their attack to make space for ronaldo but suddenly he is this collective, hard working guy. he had a great game against atletico - his team got trough. shite game against ajax, at home? - his team got eliminated. it's the same as with messi, it's just that portugal got lucky.

clemente

These cheerleader asslickers are infiltrating the forum now. Can you paint me exactly how does Messi get the ball if he makes a run? Argentina barely can get out of their own half, and in barca Rakitic is afraid to look forward. Did Messi score against Nigeria by picking up the ball from the midfield? He tried making runs in that game and he got some shitty lob that he had to control and shoot like no one else could, its unrealistic to play that way every game. There is a reason he is dropping down, he wouldn't get the ball otherwise.

To be honest, I’m not so worried with Messi retiring. We will be fine and will be able to revert back to 4-3-3 with two true wingers and a 9. And a RB who isn’t expected to play RW too. And a RCM who shouldn’t run double the amount. See the pattern? Whole team adapt to Messi.

We are literally absolute trash without Messi, shouldn't even be saying "we", every FIFA kid writing the same, just put LW and RW and 9 in the middle and its solved, do you even know how 9 was invented and reasons it is used?

eaman

These cheerleader asslickers are infiltrating the forum now. Can you paint me exactly how does Messi get the ball if he makes a run? Argentina barely can get out of their own half, and in barca Rakitic is afraid to look forward. Did Messi score against Nigeria by picking up the ball from the midfield? He tried making runs in that game and he got some shitty lob that he had to control and shoot like no one else could, its unrealistic to play that way every game. There is a reason he is dropping down, he wouldn't get the ball otherwise.

We are literally absolute trash without Messi, shouldn't even be saying "we", every FIFA kid writing the same, just put LW and RW and 9 in the middle and its solved, do you even know how 9 was invented and reasons it is used?

Exactly right. Some people only seem to see the times he doesn't make runs or doesn't press. The reality is and I have seen it plenty of times is he presses plenty of times and makes runs on many occasions both for club and country. I think people see a defender on the left or right with the ball and Messi in the middle and expect him to press that player when in reality that is the attacker on that sides job. He presses in his area most of the time. You were wrong about one thing Clemente. That ball from banega to Messi in the world cup was a good ball. It's one of the reasons banega should be in this Argentina team. He has always linked up well with messi

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

I find it hilarious (and sad) that adaptable and better team player is used to refer to CR vs Messi, but supposed educated barca fans no less. So much narrative because 3/4 CL finals you had Ramos (by hook or crook) bailing Real out and Portugal gets a Euro from an easy draw and beats the one good team with CR on the bench.

Cup finals are always crapshoots where luck plays a role. Why don't you reference the most successful modern current managers (Pep, Klopp, Jose) who the best player is/was as an individual or their impact on his team--and one of then had CR on his team.

Pure nuts in here. Long summer I guess.

abbbs97

wow. Barca fans on a Barca forum saying that Ronaldo is a better team player than Messi....and that they prefer Ronaldo over Messi...

abbbs97

I find it hilarious (and sad) that adaptable and better team player is used to refer to CR vs Messi, but supposed educated barca fans no less. So much narrative because 3/4 CL finals you had Ramos (by hook or crook) bailing Real out and Portugal gets a Euro from an easy draw and beats the one good team with CR on the bench.

Cup finals are always crapshoots where luck plays a role. Why don't you reference the most successful modern current managers (Pep, Klopp, Jose) who the best player is/was as an individual or their impact on his team--and one of then had CR on his team.

Pure nuts in here. Long summer I guess.

Its very funny to see actually. I'm reading those comments as if Ronaldo made a huge difference in these cup final games he played in. He did fuck all in the glorified friendly final just a few weeks ago.

Arizona Scott

btw simeone said he prefers messi as a player. he said he is a better footballer. he did say in simple situations CR can be more decisive--in other words he makes great runs and is great with his head on crosses and sometimes a football match is reduced to that. he said nothing about leadership or adaptabilty--and again clearly said who he prefers.

serghei

wow. Barca fans on a Barca forum saying that Ronaldo is a better team player than Messi....and that they prefer Ronaldo over Messi...

The discussion is about CL. Ronaldo is the superior player in the Champions League, no doubt about it imo.

People need to understand why that is. And it's not because of Marcelo, Modric and Ramos lol.

It is because Ronaldo is fitter, stronger, more motivated and more willing to adapt to the requirements of the modern game the way we see them in the CL these days. He works harder and is a leader no doubt. Messi has clearly more talent which he shows every week almost in the league. But the CL is mainly about hunger to win fitness and hard work on the night. Ronaldo owns Messi in areas which are vital in CL.

Last edited:

abbbs97

The discussion is about CL. Ronaldo is the superior player in the Champions League, no doubt about it imo.

People need to understand why that is. And it's not because of Marcelo, Modric and Ramos lol.

It is because Ronaldo is fitter, stronger, more motivated and more willing to adapt to the requirements of the modern game the way we see them in the CL these days.

So then, why did he go out vs Ajax this season?

Kul_z

It is because Ronaldo is fitter, stronger, more motivated and more willing to adapt to the requirements of the modern game the way we see them in the CL these days. He works harder and is a leader no doubt. Messi has clearly more talent which he shows every week almost in the league. But the CL is mainly about hunger to win fitness and hard work on the night. Ronaldo owns Messi in areas which are vital in CL.

Hahaha

eaman

Ronaldo does about the same amount of work on the pitch as Messi does

Alik

Even if that were true, that's very different from blaming our CL losses on Messi.

serghei

Even if that were true, that's very different from blaming our CL losses on Messi.

Everybody is to blame for the humiliations. Obviously. Messi shares some of the blame for sure. You forgot how he ran slightly more than Ter Stegen (lol) vs Atletico a few years ago?

The talent he has doesn't excuse his lack of leadership and his laziness - that's a really big negative to have in a competition where the players usually give everything.

Home of Barca Fans