10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Pedro

La Masia
WC performances between Messi and CR were cancelled out imo. I think Messi is still front runner for Balon D' Or.

Ronaldo wins the ballon d'or easily this year, he's the bookies favorite now too, champions league win again easily makes him win it the same as the last 2 years.... Neither won the world cup so unless Neymar does with Brazil...Ronaldo 6th ballon dor. Hopefully Leo can make it 6-6 in 2019.

Pedro

La Masia
If Maradona was playing in Ronaldo and Messi's Era, then Maradona would win the last 10 Ballon D'ors, they wouldn't stand a chance.

George_Costanza

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/argentina-world-cup-2018-lionel-messi-jorge-sampaoli-julio-grondona-a8426061.html

Has been posted in the Argentina-thread, read this for context on Messi's time with Argentina.
Maybe someday people will realise how good he has really been for his NT.

People like Jamdav should read this dozen times to really get it through his thick baldy head, but we all know he is a guy with a personal agenda against Messi.

ASordidGod

Seriously guys, how do you think he will perform next season? I hope at least like '16/'17 season.

I think he'll perform brilliantly, as per, but score less, maybe even a lot less, unless we can provide a midfield platform for him; and as a consequence he'll end up slated again by reactive morons, of which this forum in particular possesses many. Personally I think it's amazing he's scored as he has in recent seasons, considering how deep he's had to play. Of course the vast majority of people, even those who watch him it seems, fail to take this into consideration, and thus judge him based on expectations which are almost farcically unreflective of his evolved role.

PS - This isn't to imply he's beyond criticism. He simply has to do more off the ball. Especially now he's lost that burst which made his dribbling basically like a cheat code. Sad to say his feet in general aren't as quick as they were, and he's become too reliant on his genius, like a beautiful girl who neglects their personality to the point that when finally they need it, their looks now insufficient, it's too late. Put simply he needs to mix it up more, make runs off the ball, and go on his right foot too. Until the goal against Nigeria I can't remember the last time he trusted his right foot like that, instead he's always checking back which opposing defenders have come to expect. Anyway, that's my long convoluted answer to your simple question, for what it's worth. :lol: Or in a word: hopefully, ha ha.

Last edited:

DD92

I hope that the arrival of a central midfielder (Eriksen/Thiago) will allow Leo to play closer to the goal, where he can be more effective. Forwards are more decisive than playmakers in general and despite being slower than he used to be he can still score a lot of goals. He doesn't have to become like CR7, just not playing too deep.

MTL_Barca

We're gonna play 4-4-2 with no new CM and Messi is gonna drop deep, you already know how it'll look like.

Messis last years on top level are in the hands of Valverde and Barto + friends so the disappointment cant be avoided.

DD92

We're gonna play 4-4-2 with no new CM and Messi is gonna drop deep, you already know how it'll look like.

Messis last years on top level are in the hands of Valverde and Barto + friends so the disappointment cant be avoided.
You're way too pessimistic. I think next season Barça's gonna play 4-3-3 and this summer Barto will buy at least another CM (I don't know if Thiago or someone else). With a creative midfielder, Messi could focus on goals and assists instead of creating chances for his teammates and I believe (and hope) that the board and EV understand that.

Joan

Playing 4-3-3 for Barcelona is probably out of question. It means no Suki, false 9 Messi and Dembele, Coutinho on the wings.

Obviously - no.

MTL_Barca

You're way too pessimistic. I think next season Barça's gonna play 4-3-3 and this summer Barto will buy at least another CM (I don't know if Thiago or someone else). With a creative midfielder, Messi could focus on goals and assists instead of creating chances for his teammates and I believe (and hope) that the board and EV understand that.

Yeah sounds nice, but you know what sounds better? 4-4-2 :valverde:

Its the only way to play Suarez where he is best and Messi in the middle so i don't see us going another way. Maybe people will call it 4-2-3-1 now because we have Cou and Dembele on the wing but i can't see us play any other formation in the majority of games tbh.

DD92

Yeah sounds nice, but you know what sounds better? 4-4-2 :valverde:

Its the only way to play Suarez where he is best and Messi in the middle so i don't see us going another way. Maybe people will call it 4-2-3-1 now because we have Cou and Dembele on the wing but i can't see us play any other formation in the majority of games tbh.

Why do you think that Suárez can't play as a CF in 4-3-3?

Home of Barca Fans