10 - Lionel Messi - v5

blaugrana1987

Maradona was man marked by an all time great in Mattheus and was quiet but it was a good pass to set Buruchaga away for the winner and still had influence on the game.

Higuain missed one great chance in final. Messi also missed a decent one he has scored from similar position plenty times before.
But that is my point, Maradona assisted for 3-2, but before that, his team mates scored 2. Frankly, 2010 Messi in 2014 would probably take them to winning WC, but he was nowhere near bad. Even that shoot he had wasn't bad. These things...there is very little between losing and winning.

Ronaldo had shocker against Iran. He missed penalty and got carded duo to frustration (could easily be red). His missed penalty sent them to bracket of death, while his penalty would send them to at very least semi finals. Nobody is saying a word to him because for Messi, winning was destiny. He was compared to Greatest player of all time from the moment he kicked the ball, and he eclipsed him in every way imaginable, but lost it in the WC final. Its unfortunate, its sad, but saying Messi blew it in final is far from truth. Truth is, he was closed by all time great German team, yet still created and tried. Higuain chance goes in as 2 goals in 86' final? Perhaps Germany would open up more and there would be more space to exploit, who knows, but events played out differently.

eaman

People say Messi's best chance was 2014, and from result and draw perspective, that is true. But I think 2010 and especially 2006 where much better chances to win. Its unfortunate turn of events, from lady luck, to AFA and Maradona in 2010. Its unfortunate, but its over. He missed by final ,but it is what it is. Argentina in 86' and 2014 didn't have best squad in the world, they where top 5, but not number 1. They where stronger in early 2000s and 2006 tbh...

Just open best of Messi, late 2000s and early this decade...Man, what a fucking machine that guy was. At his peak, nobody compared to him.

It's a myth argentina didn't gave a good team in 86. They were probably the best or at least equal to the other maybe 2 teams that could have won that world cup. Germany and maybe England I'd say. There were alot of better and equal teams to argentina during Messis career. 2006 was the best of Messis career and they might have won it if he had gotten on the pitch against Germany

FCB50

Banned
WC performances between Messi and CR were cancelled out imo. I think Messi is still front runner for Balon D' Or.

Ronaldo was slightly ahead before the World Cup and he did better than Messi at the World Cup

The only two ways Ronaldo doesn't win it imo

1. A player like Kane or Modric leads their country to the World Cup

2. Messi massively outperforms him at the start next season

Pepe Silvia

Ronaldo was slightly ahead before the World Cup and he did better than Messi at the World Cup

The only two ways Ronaldo doesn't win it imo

1. A player like Kane or Modric leads their country to the World Cup

2. Messi massively outperforms him at the start next season
Messi has La Liga, Copa del Rey, European Golden Shoe, La Liga top scorer, La Liga top assists... he was far and away the best player in Europe. He was shining week in, and week out. Salah was next in terms of overall play.

CR has UCL, UEFA Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup, top CL goal scorer. Goals aside, he was decent. He disappeared domestically for the last few months.

In terms of WC performances, I think Coutinho is best player suited to lead team to lift cup and sneak the Balon. Kane could potentially do it as well.

Last edited:

FCB50

Banned
Messi has La Liga, Copa del Rey, European Golden Shoe, La Liga top scorer, La Liga top assists... he was far and away the best player in Europe. He was shining week in, and week out. Salah was next in terms of overall play.

CR has UCL, UEFA Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup, top CL goal scorer. Goals aside, he was decent. He disappeared domestically for the last few months.

In terms of WC performances, I think Coutinho is best player suited to lead team to lift cup and sneak the Balon. Kane could potentially do it as well.

Ronaldo's bad form last season came in 2017 which doesn't count for Ballon D'or this year

SG-7

A few big names are about the only thing the Argentina NT has. Their management and chemistry is complete shit.

yeah agree 100%. Read that article someone else posted about the AFA being corrupt all the way from their last world cup win.

Wouldnt be suprised the AFA wanting messi to come back out of retirement prob having more to do with making money of endorsements and matches than them wanting to win.

Home of Barca Fans