10 - Lionel Messi - v5

vlad

I honestly think he will never recover from this, you can say how he was beast after that WC final, but from that perios, he lost 2 more finals, now there is chance they go out in the group with nigeria and island, its to much for him, he already retired from NT then he came back.

In comparations with ronaldo, we can read mentioning how messi was good when he was younger, its says alot, while ronaldo is 33 and look more motivated then ever.

So my honest opinion is, no matter who barca buy, barca will not benefit from this messi in CL K.O. stages, i hope im wrong, but his recent performances in CL tells alot, and now add this with NT, im struggling to be positive about him and barca situation with him as a main player

henias

croatia-arg-graphic.jpg

Looking at this, I simply fail to understand what exactly is the master gameplan here? Some people want Messi in more advanced positions, yet behind him is an old Mascherano with a clueless Perez. No support at the front except for Aguero and another useless Meza. The two wingbacks leaving the flanks exposed and failed to find anyone in the box. And Sampaoli had the balls to try and build play from the back with a non-existent midfield, unfortunately the GK has no sort of confidence to do any of that. Had to resort to long balls but no one can win any headers upfront.

The moment I saw this lineup yesterday, I knew Croatia is gonna win.

Meatball

Read somewhere that Antonella went to Russia and be with Messi to cheer him up before the Croatia game. Despite the penalty miss, Messi played well against Iceland, he was angry and fought hard till the end. But after she came, Messi looked like a broken man during the anthem and warming up, looked mentally and physically devastated especially after Caballero's mistake leading to goal. I know exactly what she did to him and I won't say it here.

Last edited:

vlad

10 years of Messi's epic performance and everything collapses on this forum because of this game. Please do football and supporters here a favour and logout from this forum or at least stay away from this thread.

Dude, messi is 30 years old, plenty of time to stay in shape, but he looks worse and worse, did you see him yesterday? His body language? performances in K.O. stages? Maybe you are deluded, or you are ignorant and think how messi because of his past performances should not and cant be criticized and fans shouldnt be pessimists on his future.

Wake up, in messi there isnt much fire, not at all, while main barca rival are picking biggest trophy like barca CDR, if thats not enough, surex its not all on him, but he doesnt look better then any other barca player, which is absurd, and yesterday, we blame his shit teammates, while vs iceland aguero show up and score, then he missed key penalty, and we expected to see messi on fire vs croatia, but far from it, and now we should remember his past performances and be okay with his letargic playing? I refuse to do that

shadows

I honestly think he will never recover from this, you can say how he was beast after that WC final, but from that perios, he lost 2 more finals, now there is chance they go out in the group with nigeria and island, its to much for him, he already retired from NT then he came back.

In comparations with ronaldo, we can read mentioning how messi was good when he was younger, its says alot, while ronaldo is 33 and look more motivated then ever.

So my honest opinion is, no matter who barca buy, barca will not benefit from this messi in CL K.O. stages, i hope im wrong, but his recent performances in CL tells alot, and now add this with NT, im struggling to be positive about him and barca situation with him as a main player
I agree ...I think Messi with a couple of creative midfielders can work in our system with anyone but Suarez(or he should atleast score important goals and not just ball hog)...But,for that, Messi should play more like RW or as the main CF ala 2009-10. and if we guys who can create something rather than expect Messi to be the saviour, Messi should get the service he needs..Messi cannot be a mid fielder because he simply doesnt have the cardio to do it.. The current system and also the last year of Enrique's system won't work..Because Messi has to do the creating while mid field has Rakitic playing more defensively and sideways passing and so is Sergi...Why coaches make Rakitic very defensive is beyond me... Plus Messi also has to try to score the goal in CL's with Suarez missing through the entire campaign last time for example..But the problem with Messi is that he is too static to play the mid field role which requires constant re-adjusting and movement.. When we had Xavi and a prime Iniesta, this was easily possible..

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

Oh come on, he'll forget all about it in couple of weeks when he starts to play with players like Coutinho, Dembele, Busi. This Argentina is a horror of the team, I think Sampoali's Sevilla might have been better team than current Argentina, freaking Samir Nasri would probably walk into starting XI if he was Argentinian:lol:

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Since our game is also based on Messipendencia, imo, (big) teams and opponents have figured out how to neutralize Messi (which we can see in CL matches and in NT matches) and then, if a whole team is built ONLY around Messi, the team is in big problems when Messi is neutralized.

Ok, I know, Barca is stronger than Argentina, but still, we do have some of these similar problems when Messi is either not in the mood or when he is heavily marked.

One more thing, a lot of guys here don't think that there is any difference if you are marked by a 170cm guy like Iniesta/Denis or buy some thugish guys.
For example, yesterday Messi was man marked, closed down, tackled and physically pushed and fouled over and over by:
Cf Mandzukic 191 cm
Rw Perisic 187 cm
Lw Rebic 185 cm

Cm Rakitic 184 cm
Cdm Borozovic 181 cm

Lb Strinic 185 cm
Cb1 Lovren 188 cm
Cb2 Vida 184 cm
Rb Vrsaljko 181 cm

The only guy in a team shorter than 180 cm was Modric with 172 cm.

There are some things which can't be measured in stats, like that part of closing down, making a physical pressure with larger body, fouls and body touches by stronger/taller players compared to Iniesta/Thiago/Xavi etc.
** I am not saying that we should play like Stoke, but still, our fans want to get rid of the only stronger guy in our team, Rakitic, to weaken our team even more physically for Arthur or Thiago.

Anyway, this is how Messi was easily closed down and neutralized by stronger/faster players:
And then, when an opponent (CL teams and NT teams) man mark Messi with 2-3 players all the time, and when he is tackled as soon as possible whenever he gets the ball, and when he is physically pushed all the time, then Messi is out.
And then his teammates need to do something.
Reagrading Barca, if we'll rely only on the current, older Messi, we will be easily neutralized in a CL by any thuggish team.
Oh wait, that is happening every year in a CL, right? Atletico's thugs in midfield, Atletico's thugs in midfield, Juve's thugs in midfield, Roma's thugs in midfield.

So, a short video from yesterday about Messi vs physically dominant opponents and how a team (Argentina and Barca) needs a plan B when Messi is neutralized by experienced and physically stronger opponents:
(Btw, our guy, Rakitic, whom we want to get rid off, for some lighter and technical players, was doing a very good job in neutralizing the best player in the world, Messi):
** Btw, he is tackled after 1-2 seconds by 1-2 players all the time, and 2 players are closing down heavily on him every time.

Meatball

You don’t know shit other than some BS rumors you’ve been reading. Stop writing like you’re some personal friend of them.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...nella-roccuzzo-argentina-vs-croatia-world-cup

Put me on your ignore list, pls. I just did the same. What a shitty and cheap behavior to attack others like that

I do play football every week and I know how those off the pitch things can affect players' performance on the pitch. It was just speculation and I was maybe wrong with word choices and the way I expressed things but you just have no manner, shitty indeed. Just ignore me, pls.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

10 years of Messi's epic performance and everything collapses on this forum because of this game. Please do football and supporters here a favour and logout from this forum or at least stay away from this thread.

Some here actually waiting for his slip (if we can call it that) so they can push forward their own Messi-hate agenda. I can name some of them but by now everyone should know who are they.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around

ebc_99

Big teams haven't figured us out, the teams that knocked us out recently are Juventus, Atletico and Roma. We have played Juve 5 times recently, 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat which is pretty good against one of the 4 or 5 best teams in Europe. Real have also played them 5 times in that period and have 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats so pretty similar but our record is slightly better.

We beat Atletico regularly and Messi has scored against them more than any other player, they haven't figured us out. But if you play one of the best teams in Europe as often as we play Atletico then you are going to lose once in a while and that's what happened in the Champions League. Our record against them in Europe is 1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats but domestically then haven't beaten us in about 20 attempts.

The Roma game was pure complacency,we thought it was won and didn't prepare properly, I have no doubt that if we had that game again we would beat them.

So aside from those 3 teams, how have the best in Europe figured us out? They haven't, we are missing a few details but Messi is not the problem at all. Our midfield offers no creativity and can't control the game, which means Messi has to go back and pick up the ball away from the penalty area, if we can fix that problem then I think we become legitimate contender for the Champions League again.

Home of Barca Fans