10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

Go and look at his heat map or watch the game again. He moved centrally when Dybala came on.

Did you watch the game? Because it doesn’t appear like you did...

Higuain suffered the same fate as Aguero. He was not better...

He didnt play wide or on the flank and will always have a slight leaning to the right hand side.

What are you claiming the Argentina formation was?

Higuain moved better than Aguero and offered more options.

JamDav1982

I never said there was no point to him moving. I don't agree he has bad movement. A player who scores as regular as him is not bad off the ball. Anyway Aguero made some decent runs why couldn't they get the ball to him?

In these games and a lot of the big CL games Messi movement has been poor.

If you want to judge that on goals then it doesnt suggest much positive.

Givenchy

balance wise combined with their mentality this Argentina team are one of the worst at this years world cup. I think Nigeria will actually beat them

Centauri B

He offered fuck all for the team tonight.

Barely when defending other than couple times to close down, barely moved off ball when Argentina had it which can offer better options to team mates.

While he offered no real example or visible fight, he looked totally withdrawn from game.

So, you want 31 year old Messi, dropping to the defense just to get the ball and then do what exactly with that team around him? Which is something he did on 3-4 occasions and the result was zilch. No mortal can save this Argentina against a world-class opponent like Croatia, it's as simple as that.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He didnt play wide or on the flank and will always have a slight leaning to the right hand side.

Croatia formed a central block and forced Argentina to build up through the flanks with their pressing. Messi was spending much time out wide because of that.

JamDav1982

So, you want 31 year old Messi, dropping to the defense just to get the ball and then do what exactly with that team around him? Which is something he did on 3-4 occasions and the result was zilch. No mortal can save this Argentina against a world-class opponent like Croatia, it's as simple as that.

So he is too old to drop deeper and try to improve the build up play?

Yes I think that is something Messi can offer deeper if Argentina struggling.

Or just stay in an area where having no influence and waiting for ball walking about...

Centauri B

In these games and a lot of the big CL games Messi movement has been poor.

If you want to judge that on goals then it doesnt suggest much positive.

Who said that Messi always plays well? He doesn't. His overall contribution for Barcelona this season was as immense as always. There was the epic disaster against Roma, but was that down to Messi primarily? He cannot save us or Argentina in every game, there is no such option in football.

JamDav1982

Croatia formed a central block and forced Argentina to build up through the flanks with their pressing. Messi was spending much time out wide because of that.

They were playing a high line and three up v three Argies in defence for a fair bit it was not some block of tight players and Messi was not going out wide due to it all that much.

JamDav1982

Who said that Messi always plays well? He doesn't. His overall contribution for Barcelona this season was as immense as always. There was the epic disaster against Roma, but was that down to Messi primarily? He cannot save us or Argentina in every game, there is no such option in football.

Who has claimed that anyone says Messi always plays well?

If basing his movement being fine as he scores a lot of goals in La Liga then I dont agree there are times it can contribute to him having less influence as not getting on ball in areas can affect game.

The Barca argument is crap anyway as this team offers nothing like Barca does week in week out.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
They were playing a high line and three up v three Argies in defence for a fair bit it was not some block of tight players and Messi was not going out wide due to it all that much.

Yes he was. Croatia was forcing Argentina to the flanks as I said. Has nothing to do with pressing high or not.

M

MessiCam

71U31YS_d.jpg

And that only denotes his touches. Go and watch the game to see where he played.

I didn’t make any claims.

No he didn’t. He received the ball in deep areas as well.

You really need to watch the game.

Givenchy

y'know everyone keeps banging on about 'whats Messi supposed to do?!' 'hes 31!' I didn't expect anything from this shit Argentina team, I did however expect to see some fight from Leo, I wanted to see him give it his all with this possibly being his last WC. instead he walked around, head down, defeated before the game even started and his Argentina leave with a whimper

JamDav1982

71U31YS_d.jpg

And that only denotes his touches. Go and watch the game to see where he played.

I didn’t make any claims.

No he didn’t. He received the ball in deep areas as well.

You really need to watch the game.

Exactly so he wasnt playing out wide as that map shows.

What are you claiming was the formation?

You love using maps that prove yourself wrong.

He played centrally and ocassionally drifted to the right as he always does.

You actually think that shows someone 'playing on the flank'......

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans