10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Gilberto

Once you become rich and greedy, the greed can become so big that it can never be satisfied. If this turns out the be true, it would be a real shame. Messi has already made so much money that he should never have to be worried about money ever again. I hope this rumor isn't true. It would be another slap to the face for football romanticists like myself, who have already seen the beautiful game take too much of a negative turn.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

Why though? Is it because they are famous so the rules of society and the law should not apply to them? Or do you think it is ok for everybody to do what they do?
Personally, I do care about that because I have a huge aversion for greed/greedy people. Those footballers earn more money than any human could ever need and still find it neccessary to avoid paying their taxes and that pisses me off tbh.

Yeah I agree with you but there are a lot worse things going on in the world than footballers not paying their taxes so I’m not going to get upset about it.

raskolnikov

If the source is der Spiegel we can say its true. Most interesting thing is Perez claming to be able to put pressure on Rajoy. Look how they put a smear campaign on Messi but when Ronaldo does it way worse its brushed under the rug, same with his **** case.

For years we are named conspiracy theorists with an inferiority complex towards Madrid but this is another point that shows how evil a club Real is with a lot of power in Spain. World should open their eyes to this.

JamDav1982

If the source is der Spiegel we can say its true. Most interesting thing is Perez claming to be able to put pressure on Rajoy. Look how they put a smear campaign on Messi but when Ronaldo does it way worse its brushed under the rug, same with his **** case.

For years we are named conspiracy theorists with an inferiority complex towards Madrid but this is another point that shows how evil a club Real is with a lot of power in Spain. World should open their eyes to this.

It may not be true or even then it could be Real bullshitting Messi and playing up to the image of having that power.

Why have they not used that influence to make the Ronaldo tax case disappear?

ASordidGod

When I read this thread last night I was genuinely worried about the possible legal repercussions, but so far there's nothing really in British press, and even on Redcafe (Man U forum) the Ronaldo fan boys are more concerned with Barca's ability to pay Messi's new contract than these new tax avoidance revelations. (Though of course that could soon change.) Indeed the feeling seems to be it's morally reprehensible but sorted. Which isn't to excuse Messi, but I'm long past the point of assuming talent has any correlation with human decency; I appreciate Messi the footballer not Messi the person, and am much more comfortable with his reputation being damaged (If they want it bad enough people will always find a reason to think poorly of someone; with these types if it wasn't Messi's taxes it would be something else) than I am with his career being cut short by a prison stint. In conclusion then: Messi fucked up, he's human; but I can tolerate that if it means we see him as a god on the pitch. :p:p

raskolnikov

It may not be true or even then it could be Real bullshitting Messi and playing up to the image of having that power.

Why have they not used that influence to make the Ronaldo tax case disappear?
If der spiegel is as true as they come (especially nowadays) when it comes to sources its more probable thats its true and that Messi (or his father)was willing to listen. I think they created the problem in the first place to pull some 4d chess moves in getting him to sign for Real. Its not weird if they would have tried to lure away Messi once in all those years right?

They might not have to power to take a tax case like that away completely but its possible to handle it swiftly in private rather than Franco’s ministers granddaughter dragging him to court in an appeal.

We already saw Real’s influence with the media many times, also with banks. Its not weird to assume a long political reach as well.
Which is why we need to acknowledge how impressive it is when we win la liga since we face an uphill battle every year as we saw against Valencia and Celta.

Now that Real is out of the race for sure we might get some penalties again.

JamDav1982

If der spiegel is as true as they come (especially nowadays) when it comes to sources its more probable thats its true and that Messi (or his father)was willing to listen. I think they created the problem in the first place to pull some 4d chess moves in getting him to sign for Real. Its not weird if they would have tried to lure away Messi once in all those years right?

They might not have to power to take a tax case like that away completely but its possible to handle it swiftly in private rather than Franco’s ministers granddaughter dragging him to court in an appeal.

We already saw Real’s influence with the media many times, also with banks. Its not weird to assume a long political reach as well.
Which is why we need to acknowledge how impressive it is when we win la liga since we face an uphill battle every year as we saw against Valencia and Celta.

Now that Real is out of the race for sure we might get some penalties again.

What influence with banks? They have not had any influence on the Ronaldo tax case and it may not even be true they said it let alone actually be able to influence it.

The referees in Spain are shit and Barca have benefited from that as well as well as been hurt by it. Works both ways.

Referees in Spain are not all out to see Real win the league.

You are imagining Real to have much more power and influence than they do.

raskolnikov

What influence with banks? They have not had any influence on the Ronaldo tax case and it may not even be true they said it let alone actually be able to influence it.

The referees in Spain are shit and Barca have benefited from that as well as well as been hurt by it. Works both ways.

Referees in Spain are not all out to see Real win the league.

You are imagining Real to have much more power and influence than they do.
-The deal with the trainingground during Flo’s first term for example. Cheap loans to fund galactico transfers with EU money.
- they do influence how it appears in the media, for example with the Portugal shirt stuff or how you hear nothing about it compared to Messi who got crucified. Real players like Marcelo this week get a footnote’s worth ofnebtion for the same thing.
- most refs favour Real. You can follow la liga and notice it but even in recent years refs who gave Ronaldo a red got exhiled to segunda division and a former ref came out and admitted a huge madridista bias.

With this in mind is it so unlikely that they do have deep connections and power (im not saying we dont but its way less). Its all so political and probably even more shady than we think in a lot of ways. News like this will continue to spill.

JamDav1982

-The deal with the trainingground during Flo’s first term for example. Cheap loans to fund galactico transfers with EU money.
- they do influence how it appears in the media, for example with the Portugal shirt stuff or how you hear nothing about it compared to Messi who got crucified. Real players like Marcelo this week get a footnote’s worth ofnebtion for the same thing.
- most refs favour Real. You can follow la liga and notice it but even in recent years refs who gave Ronaldo a red got exhiled to segunda division and a former ref came out and admitted a huge madridista bias.

With this in mind is it so unlikely that they do have deep connections and power (im not saying we dont but its way less). Its all so political and probably even more shady than we think in a lot of ways. News like this will continue to spill.

That training ground was a bit dodgy although sure higher up in europe looked at it and deemed not much wrong while Barca have been involved in similar land deals on a smaller scale as well.

Fairly sure Barca have had those virtually interest free loans as well.

I dont agree most refs favour Real they are just shite. You can bring up Valencia and Celta but cant then ignore Barca scored a goal when ball out of play a few weeks before and Messi scored while clearly offside vs Espanyol etc.

Maybe there are more individual refs that favor Real but not some wide spread conspiracy as often made out in my opinion.

Yes it is unlikely they have the influence to pressure court to pursue Messi if then dont have same power to prevent them going after Ronaldo or others at Real.

serghei

Barca and Madrid are similar atm. Both are in the middle of many scandals. One can't claim to be cleaner or more honorable than the other these days without looking like complete hypocrites. Only clubs that are considerably worse in this matter are the oil clubs.

It's certainly an aspect which we need to improve. The less controversy the better for our image as a club. Sporting wise we are pretty much the golden standard since the turn of the millennium.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans