10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Windhook

Obviously this isn't 2002 when everyone expected Argentina to win the World Cup by ease, having all the Crespos, Verons, Ayalas, Batistutas in the squad. And yet they failed, Brazil won the cup instead. That same Brazil team that had to suffer to qualify for the finals in Japan & South Korea. Argentina right now are in similar position. It's going to be tough and the rest of the squad have to deliver. Messi cannot win by himself.

FCBfan22

Sampaoli: "I told the team: Messi doesn't owe a world cup to Argentina, but football owes a world cup to Messi."
"We need to resolve how to build a team surrounding Messi to get the best of him, like today."

He needs to play Icardi instead of that slow fuck Benedetto, though.

Neymessi

Everything can happen in international football. Hate to even have to mention it, but just look at Portugal in the Euros last year. Let's be honest, they should never ever even made it out of the group stages.

These things are very rare. Chelsea also won a CL with pure luck. But it happens once in a century. Can't bet on it hapenning with messi who has on the contrary been so unlucky till now.

raskolnikov

Atleast Sampaoli now has time to build a team that can actually play together with an idea behind and can be a contender for the wc.
Intheir current form they will struggle to get out of the group stages.

Ripsta

These things are very rare. Chelsea also won a CL with pure luck. But it happens once in a century. Can't bet on it hapenning with messi who has on the contrary been so unlucky till now.

Totally deserved too. That year they made a remarkable come back against Napoli then thwarted us. You don't beat Bayern in their own backyard on penalties in a final without a bit of luck either.

JamDav1982

Sampaoli: "I told the team: Messi doesn't owe a world cup to Argentina, but football owes a world cup to Messi."
"We need to resolve how to build a team surrounding Messi to get the best of him, like today."

He needs to play Icardi instead of that slow fuck Benedetto, though.

He needs to play Aguero not Icardi.

Messi suits a player on front of him that is clever and more mobile than Icardi.

Aguero has improved again under Pep and is by far their best CF.

dakt

[tw]918030721041694720[/tw]

I cried.

tumblr_inline_mx7qxtlvaE1rvpdg2.gif

wisconsincule

I am sooooo happy for Messi. Put the team on his back and silenced the critics. They've gotta figure out how to get Dybala and Aguero involved. Di Maria didn't actually play that bad next to Messi either...

FCBfan22

I am sooooo happy for Messi. Put the team on his back and silenced the critics. They've gotta figure out how to get Dybala and Aguero involved. Di Maria didn't actually play that bad next to Messi either...

Well, if Augero is healthy and in form he should straight replace Benedetto. With Dybala it's more complicated. But if Messi is still in form of his life at the WC and Aguero is in form like before the car crash, the attack should be good. The only thing they must avoid are defensive brainfarts and they have a shot. There is also question what formation will they play. I would go with 4-3-1-2 with the front 3 of Messi at CAM, and Icardi and Augero as strikers.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
[tw]918030721041694720[/tw]

Late to the party... But what a golazo! :worthy:

No extra qualification games vs. New Zealand and still a glimmer of hope for us all and Messi to take that one final cup. It just wouldn't be the same without Messi anyway.

henias

Some things to note tho about the Ecuador match. Messi didnt drop deep as often as he did in previous matches. Which is a good thing. Looks like Sampaoli instructed him to wait for the ball and his clever lack of movement (Not laziness) made Ecuador players hard to track him and Messi exploited the spaces very well. And it is lucky Ecuador wants to play attacking football, ultimately allowing Argentina to exploit spaces in the final third. If they defended like Peru after scoring that first goal, I think it will end up as a draw or even a loss. Ecuador played a high defensive line and threw men to go forward while Peru guarded their goal and their final third like pack of dogs, and stayed very compact as well. Very high pressure as well, always 2 players marking a player, a perfect mix of zonal and man marking. Acuna and Bigilia didnt do too good against Ecuador but Im surprised the defenders were able to snuff most of aerial attacks and set pieces. That is the general takeaway between the 2 final qualifiers.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans