10 - Lionel Messi - v5

ManusXavi

If Argentina play New Zealand it will feel weird being there whistling and booing Messi. New Zealand though are the sort of team where Messi can carry Argentina and Argentina will be fine.

ManusXavi

If Argentina have to play NZ to qualify I wouldn't worry about a thing, they would crucify NZ home and away just like Mexico did. Plus, I will get to see Messi & Masch live in person hopefully!

New Zealand have improved. I actually think NZ 2017 could give NZ 2010 a run for their money. A lucky low scoring draw at home is possible vs Argentina.

FinBarcelonafan

New Zealand have improved. I actually think NZ 2017 could give NZ 2010 a run for their money. A lucky low scoring draw at home is possible vs Argentina.

0-0 is more than likely with Argentina's goal scoring. They can't score any goals and expect Argentina to choke on penalties, as usual.

T

TS88

If Argentina fail to qualify then it will tarnish Messi's legacy. This upcoming game is one of the most important games in his career.

JamDav1982

Messi should have tried WC with Spain.

No he shouldnt have and this idea that he gave up chances to win World Cups by choosing poorer Argentina side is false anyway.

Argentina were the better side in 2005 and would have been the team more likely to win a WC.

DHorozov

I just wonder why Messi went back to the National team?

Argentina are just a mess. Whether it's players, formations, tactics, the federation etc. They are a fucking mess. It shouldn't be Messi's job to bail out Argentina and Barcelona all the time. If they don't qualify for the World Cup Messi will quit, I'm sure of that.

Because he loves his country and will do anything possible to win (help them win) ... it was more than obvious that his decision on retiring was just a moment of frustration and he would return ... also I am positive that if he has to choose to bail either Argentina or Barcelona he will choose the first one, so we should consider ourselves lucky he is still in Barca ...

I really hope Argentina manages to scoop the win in Quito and qualifies, for Messi and for Barcelona. Can't imagine in what terrible mood he will be in the next couple of months if Argentina fails to qualify ... we should also consider ourselves lucky, because Messi is playing great both for Barcelona and Argentina, but he is extremely unlucky with in the national team, he misses chances that would normally score without much of a problem, but I think also the nerves when playing for Argentina are hitting him ... I don't think I had seen him as nervous as he was before this last free kick in the injury time against Peru and he made one of the worst crosses I have seen him do, while with Barca he would have probably tried to score from there ...

And lastly, all these sayings that he would have played for Spain to win World Cup. I mean, he is not Ronaldo, trying only to go for individual glory, he wants to win something with his beloved Argentina... he would not care less if he wins a World Cup with Spain ... it would be just another trophy for him ...

M

MessiCam

if only he decided to play for Spain.. there would be no GOAT debate but here we are with Ronaldo about to equal his ballon d'ors (and probably get another as i doubt were winning a CL with this team) its really tragic how the final top years in his career are heading. our board have fucked him over and hes still carrying us, playing for a national team who don't deserve him, too busy sucking on Maradonas dick.

he still hasn't even signed his contract yet, i wouldn't be suprised if he leaves and i won't blame him either (unless its PSG :lol:)
This is a bit of an overreaction don’t you think... Winning the Ballon D’Or is not dependent on winning the Champions League and it certainly doesn’t determine who the GOAT is. Ronaldo’s rise in the Ballon D’Or stakes coincided with him taking on a role more akin to a centre forward while at the same time Messi was moved over to the wing. Then there was the 2013 revote which Messi had stitched up but came at an opportune time for Ronaldo.

I wouldn’t say he fucked over. He was just moved to the wing position for the better of the team. Nothing wrong with that.

Ripsta

If Argentina fail to qualify then it will tarnish Messi's legacy. This upcoming game is one of the most important games in his career.

Yep, and it's time he upped his game. If his passes aren't being finished by his team mates, he needs to take the initiative and do it himself.

You hear all the stories about how he does it in training and runs rings around his team mates, you see what he's done in the earlier part of this season or what he's done over the past decade. He needs a big performance. Failure to show up and Ecuardor will bury Argentina and Messi's legacy in the process.

JamDav1982

Yep, and it's time he upped his game. If his passes aren't being finished by his team mates, he needs to take the initiative and do it himself.

You hear all the stories about how he does it in training and runs rings around his team mates, you see what he's done in the earlier part of this season or what he's done over the past decade. He needs a big performance. Failure to show up and Ecuardor will bury Argentina and Messi's legacy in the process.

He came close three times to scoring in that match and set up three or four great chances.

This last game he did everyting he could. Lost the ball a lot but only one that looked not terrified and was trying to force initiative.

Was poor in the previous game vs Venezuala though who are shite so he could have done more there to help them qualify.

M

MessiCam

So you expect Messi to dribble the entire midfield and defence in a professional match and score on his own. The expectations that come with being Lionel Messi are quite frankly ridiculous.

Argentina’s problem is that they have no midfield whatsoever and as a consequence Messi and Mascherano are picking up the slack. In the second half against Peru, Mascherano was basically playing as a hook because for some reason nobody else wanted to step up.

henias

Messi is Messi but when people expect him to do everything in every match is simply ludicrous although he has put up such performance in the past. He isnt young anymore, his teammates needs to take more iniative and step up. Furthermore, people seem to forget that South American qualifiers are no joke. Teams are very close competitively, not your typical walk in the park game. Even if Messi puts up the best performance of his life, teammates screwing it up will be useless. They all need to play a part to see the end product, otherwise it will be all talk and no action.

I do still see some improvements in the team in terms of going forward and midfield play, however they really lack the finishing and composure. Players like Benedetto and Gomes has no sort of awareness or composure, just shoots any o how whenever they see the goal. They simply need to do better.

Neymessi

You could see him not passing at all in the end and just trying to create a breakthrough assist because he knew its no use depending on the 10 pieces of wood.

Ritchie

You wonder how not qualifying will affect him. Particularly with his contract unsigned. It might make him want to try something different rather than having to carry club and country on his back every week.

Home of Barca Fans