10 - Lionel Messi - v5

dakt

He is the best around for now and makes Barca more likely to win but the team is built around him with him in it so of course he will get a lot of important goals etc..

The team is "built around him" exactly because he is capable of delivering high performance, meaning scoring, finding free space, creating free space and passing abilities. In that sense no one comes close. No one.
His presence on the field boosts confidence for sure, but can also come as a handicap from time to time when we get too confident and rely on Lio to make things happen...especially if he's having a bad day.

JamDav1982

The team is "built around him" exactly because he is capable of delivering high performance, meaning scoring, finding free space, creating free space and passing abilities. In that sense no one comes close. No one.
His presence on the field boosts confidence for sure, but can also come as a handicap from time to time when we get too confident and rely on Lio to make things happen...especially if he's having a bad day.

That is the point. The team is built around the best player so it is not accurate to take away his goals/assists and claim Barca would be much lower down the table. It doesnt work like that.

sickstar

Lio is clearly a team player, so you cannot talk Messi without mentioning other players. Which is great because many superstars are too egoistic.

But I wonder too sometimes, of how many goals he had with practically no assist? A youtube compilation for these goals maybe.. Only at these times when he was doing these magic stuff that perhaps, making the argument "barca depends on messi" look valid. I think no other player could done it this many and this consistent.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Great vid. Messi adds pure magic to his highlight reel so regularly, this compilation is even missing some of his insane plays like against Chile for example :lol:. Hope he's fired up for April, I wanna see Leo in God-Mode once again.

serghei

Thats not true. Even without Messi this Barca team would easily be top four and most likely top two.

He is the best around for now and makes Barca more likely to win but the team is built around him with him in it so of course he will get a lot of important goals etc.

Poorer without him and less likely to win trophies but never be out of top four.

I agree. You take Messi out from this team, and you replace him with a top player, and we still compete for all trophies. The way some people talk you'd think we won't ever win the league or the CL after he retires. Nonsense.

I thought the beatdown we handed to Madrid with Messi comming in at 3-0 would have convinced some people that we do not depend only on Messi. No team with a squad worth of 600m. euros depends on only one player.

Neymar and Suarez are both greats of the game currently. Basically the best LW in the world, and the best No9 in the world. You're telling me that if we had Dybala instead of Messi at RW we wouldn't be a top 3 team in the world? Don't buy it for a second.

Last edited:

Ahmedd

I agree. You take Messi out from this team, and you replace him with a top player, and we still compete for all trophies. The way some people talk you'd thing we won't ever win the league or the CL after he retires.

Barcelona with Messi : 66,7% of victory. Without Messi : only 33.3%.

Top goalscorer in the FIFA Club World Cup: 5 goals
Top goalscorer in all club competitions in a calendar year: 79 goals in 2012
Top goalscorer in all club competitions in a season: 73 goals in 2011–12
Longest goalscoring run in a domestic league: 21 matches, 33 goals in 2012–13
Only player to have won more than one FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball.

Most Ballons d'Or (including FIFA World Player of the year & FIFA Ballon d'Or): 5 (2009–12, 2015)
Most consecutive Ballons d'Or: 4
Youngest two-time and three-time Ballon d'Or winner: 23 and 24 years old
Most UEFA Best Player in Europe awards & UEFA Club footballer of the year: 3 (2009, 2011, 2015) (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)
Top goalscorer in the UEFA Super Cup: 3 goals (shared with Arie Haan, Oleg Blokhin, Gerd Müller, Rob Rensenbrink, François Van der Elst, Terry McDermott, and Radamel Falcao)
First player to be top goalscorer in five UEFA Champions League seasons (2008–09 to 2011–12, 2014–15)
First player to be top goalscorer in four consecutive UEFA Champions League seasons[268]* Most hat-tricks scored in the UEFA Champions League: 7[469]* Most goals scored in a UEFA Champions League match: 5 in 2012 (shared with Luiz Adriano)[470]* Youngest player to make 100 appearances in the UEFA Champions League: 28 years, 84 days in 2015
All-time top assist provider in Copa América: 11 assists

Most La Liga Best Player awards: 6 (2009–13, 2015)
Top goalscorer in La Liga: 319 goals
Top assist provider in La Liga: 130 assists
Top goalscorer in the Supercopa de España: 12 goals
Top goalscorer in a La Liga season: 50 goals in 2011–12
Most hat-tricks scored in a La Liga season: 8 in 2011–12 (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo
Only player to score consecutively against all opposition teams in La Liga: 19 matches, 30 goals in 2012–13
Youngest player to score 200 goals in La Liga: 25 years and 7 months at Jan 2013

Top goalscorer in El Clásico: 21 goals
Top goalscorer in the Derbi barceloní: 16 goals
Most titles won with the team: 29 (shared with Andrés Iniesta)
Top goalscorer official competitions: 475 goals
Top goalscorer including friendlies: 498 goals
Top goalscorer in the UEFA Champions League: 93 goals
Most hat-tricks scored in all competitions: 36
Most hat-tricks scored in La Liga: 26
Only player to be top goalscorer in three La Liga seasons (2009–10, 2011–12, 2012–13)

:messi:

Neymessi

I agree. You take Messi out from this team, and you replace him with a top player, and we still compete for all trophies. The way some people talk you'd think we won't ever win the league or the CL after he retires. Nonsense.

I thought the beatdown we handed to Madrid with Messi comming in at 3-0 would have convinced some people that we do not depend only on Messi. No team with a squad worth of 600m. euros depends on only one player.

Neymar and Suarez are both greats of the game currently. Basically the best LW in the world, and the best No9 in the world. You're telling me that if we had Dybala instead of Messi at RW we wouldn't be a top 3 team in the world? Don't buy it for a second.

Not to mention we made the PSG comeback in which messi was nothing special. I keep hearing that "remove messi and you will be nothing" too often. We will still be a top top club. We used to have arguably the best midfield duo ever sometime back and we have arguably the best front trio ever right now. We have always been strong even without messi.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So many cringeworthy posts here that I don't even know where to start.

Especially considering some here are devaluing Messi's creative contribution(Dybala going to bring that? Please..), and using the worst Madrid in years under Benitez, a complete shit-house as an example?

F

FlaFCB

So many cringeworthy posts here that I don't even know where to start.

Especially considering some here are devaluing Messi's creative contribution(Dybala going to bring that? Please..), and using the worst Madrid in years under Benitez, a complete shit-house as an example?

As if we'd win anything with the current squad, without Messi. I'm not really surprised with some of those comments, though, I've seen worse.

Not to mention we made the PSG comeback in which messi was nothing special. I keep hearing that "remove messi and you will be nothing" too often. We will still be a top top club. We used to have arguably the best midfield duo ever sometime back and we have arguably the best front trio ever right now. We have always been strong even without messi.

Barça became a juggernaut with Messi. Take him out, and we'd have no treble, or the domination from the past +10 years. Of course Barça will still be a top team, it's a rich club. But it won't be like it is today. Check rm's trophies haul since Messi debuted for Barça. And they're the richest. It's weird seeing some taking him for granted, or trying to downplay the influence he had for more than a decade now.

Home of Barca Fans